Zimbabwe elections

It makes me sad as I wanted to see a real positive for this country where i have many friends.
And with the BBC and other non-corruptable news agencies barred form the country, it's probably worse than we're currently aware.

And with the BBC and other non-corruptable news agencies barred form the country

Being barred doesn't stop them getting in.

What I find strange is the man`s determination to hold on to power. He`s 84 for god`s sake, why doesn`t he retire and enjoy his millions of ill gotten gains?

He's just one man, the figure head so to speak, there's a whole machine behind that figure head that won't let him stand down if he tries.

He's between a rock and hard place, his own mob would put a bullet in the back of his head rather than allow him to leave.

Being barred doesn't stop them getting in.
Indeed not, but the level of cover is much reduced to a few admirably bold individuals who put themselves at great risk, and with fewer correspondent from the West in the country, there can only be sporadic coverage in limited areas.

He's just one man, the figure head so to speak, there's a whole machine behind that figure head that won't let him stand down if he tries.

He's between a rock and hard place, his own mob would put a bullet in the back of his head rather than allow him to leave.

I'm less concerned about the actual machine (police/military/prison service) behind him, they can be got rid of. However the feral mobs of youths who have been given handout after handout in exchange for the most barberous behaviour on behalf of ZANU-PF won't all just pop a tie on and get a job in accounting once mugabe is gone. The country will need a seriously strong, but fair, hand to lead it over the next few years and probably foreign (AU possibly) troops for some time just to keep order.

I'm less concerned about the actual machine (police/military/prison service) behind him, they can be got rid of. However the feral mobs of youths who have been given handout after handout in exchange for the most barberous behaviour on behalf of ZANU-PF won't all just pop a tie on and get a job in accounting once mugabe is gone. The country will need a seriously strong, but fair, hand to lead it over the next few years and probably foreign (AU possibly) troops for some time just to keep order.
And, regrettably, using AU troops will be like controlling a riot on the Manor by bringing in Millwall fans.

And, regrettably, using AU troops will be like controlling a riot on the Manor by bringing in Millwall fans.

Well there is that.

Maybe the grand people's army of the glorious ChiCom republic could get off it's arse for once and actually do something for the UN (other than declaring war on it in Korea).

Something dawned on me this morning when I was reading the Metro. Everyone is asking why we can't get rid of Mugabe? I've said it myself, "We could send the SAS in a sort it out in a matter of seconds".

It's all based around how he's treated his people and ruled his country, basically being a complete b**tard to everyone.

My thought was, isn't this the same as what we tried to do in Iraq? People talk about an illegal war and we should pull our troops out and leave the people to it etc.

What's the difference between getting Mugabe out and what happened in the Middle East?

Something dawned on me this morning when I was reading the Metro. Everyone is asking why we can't get rid of Mugabe? I've said it myself, "We could send the SAS in a sort it out in a matter of seconds".

It's all based around how he's treated his people and ruled his country, basically being a complete b**tard to everyone.

My thought was, isn't this the same as what we tried to do in Iraq? People talk about an illegal war and we should pull our troops out and leave the people to it etc.

What's the difference between getting Mugabe out and what happened in the Middle East?

The difference is we were lied to and threatened with missiles hitting us in 45 minutes in order to go to war. It was based on lies. If they'd fessed up and been honest about trying to affect regime change then I would have felt better about the whole escapade.

The difference is we were lied to and threatened with missiles hitting us in 45 minutes in order to go to war. It was based on lies. If they'd fessed up and been honest about trying to affect regime change then I would have felt better about the whole escapade.

But, it did get rid of an evil man in the end.

Apart from the fact that it is illegal, you need to think that the ramifications of that would be. In a country filled with Kalashnikovs and bad attitude the outcome would be a horrendous civil war, not democracy.

Sadly it's a no-win either way.

Apart from the fact that it is illegal, you need to think that the ramifications of that would be. In a country filled with Kalashnikovs and bad attitude the outcome would be a horrendous civil war, not democracy.

Sadly it's a no-win either way.

What I'm trying to get at:

Why is everyone saying we should get Mugabe out when you can see the reaction to when we went in to Iraq? What's the difference?