Sign in to follow this  

Quick question regarding coolant...

Just popped to halfrauds to purchase some coolant for my motorbike, now it says on the bottle to drain the whole coolant system before adding more coolant as different coolants can not work effectively when mixed - is that one of those warnings that can be ...well...ignored?:hihi:

Cheers

Just popped to halfrauds to purchase some coolant for my motorbike, now it says on the bottle to drain the whole coolant system before adding more coolant as different coolants can not work effectively when mixed - is that one of those warnings that can be ...well...ignored?:hihi:

Cheers

---Bump---

It depends on if the coolant you have bought is the same stuff that is already in your motorbike, if it is, then its perfectly fine to dump some more in.

Usually similar coolants have similar colours. My car uses OAT coolant which is a red/orange colour & i've added more with no problems. Mixing in non OAT coolant (blue/green) however would cause it to react and turn to sludge.

Hope this helps.

It depends on if the coolant you have bought is the same stuff that is already in your motorbike, if it is, then its perfectly fine to dump some more in.

Usually similar coolants have similar colours. My car uses OAT coolant which is a red/orange colour & i've added more with no problems. Mixing in non OAT coolant (blue/green) however would cause it to react and turn to sludge.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, In the bike at the moment is a green coolant (probably from the factory/first service - previous owner won;t have done it) I'll have a check to see what colour the stuff I bought is - if the new stuff's green reckon I'd be safe to just top it up?

ta

Cheers, In the bike at the moment is a green coolant (probably from the factory/first service - previous owner won;t have done it) I'll have a check to see what colour the stuff I bought is - if the new stuff's green reckon I'd be safe to just top it up?

ta

Yeah, if your new stuff is a green/blue colour then you'll be fine.