Photographs Of Sheffield Pubs

Hi

It was one block back from the river. It was a great pub for music and had an old pot stove in the bar with a chimney that crossed the bar area and at times glowed with the heat. Sadly it became stucturally unsound and was demolished a few years back.

Sorry but it was two blocks from the river.First block had the Lawrences razor blade factory on it.Then Nursery Lane(I think).Then Boltons the scrap yard then 2 houses and then the Harlequin.In the 50s when Joe Worley had it,it was the worst pint of Wards in Sheffield.

Looks like PT was not impressed!

Well I have been working on my Neepsend section this weekend.

http://www.thewookie.co.uk/pubs/neepsend.htm

There is no substitute for legwork and taking your own photographs. Especially when the weather is a good as it has been today.

Great site and photos.

I'm glad you've got the Ship Inn on there; I go past it almost every week on my way to see my Gran and although I've never been in I always admire it's traditional exterior. Do you happen to know when it was built?

There's a few blocks of flats (maybe offices, I don't know) going up round there - I just hope the pub is safe from bulldozers.

edit: Nevermind about when it was built, I've realised it says 1833 on tonkatoys website :)

Actually Tonkatoy's pubs website is an interesting source for me as he has some of the bars with short lived names which I missed from my own surveys.

Keeping up to date across so many establishments is a truly enormous task. Especially in the town centre where bars can change their name and style very frequently.

The most rewarding thing about running a website like this is when you find you have pictures of the same venue across a decade in several different colour schemes.

Thanks for that. It is an enormous task and one that I am currently distracted from because of major events surrounding a Sheffield Park.

The Old Harrow was a mere crossed link and this has been corrected.

I have done years of research into pubs existing and closed and breweries that served them.

This is to eventually go on the site regarding a newly reopened pub that I still have as closed. It still needs work but is basically complete. I hope you feel that this type of archive is important. If it is lost it will be all but impossible to research. Time is precious..

Let me know what you think. Constructive criticism is always welcome. Simply pulling apart someones work for a crossed link or a typo is not...

BALL INN milestone

When Thomas Rawson founded his brewery on Pond Street in 1758, the population of Sheffield was less than 15000, or about 2.5% of today’s population. Rawson was in fact Sheffield’s first common brewer, that is a brewer who brews for the trade rather than a home brew pub. It was a good move as the free trade rapidly expanded and soon Rawson’s were buying tied houses. Many of these pubs came into Rawson’s ownership by way of payment of debt. Simply landlords who could not pay for their beer supplies sold out to remain afloat. The expansion of the business required a new brewery to be built in 1780.

Rawson died in 1828 and his company passed to his sister Hannah who in turn passed it to her nephew Thomas Birks in 1844. At the time Rawson’s owned around 30 public houses. One of these was the Ball Inn on Green Lane. The pub first appears on the 1833 census and most likely dates from Thomas Rawson’s tenure of the business. It was one of the first of the many pubs to be run by Rawson’s over the next 100 years. The brewery marked its centenary in 1858 by which time the population of Sheffield had increased 10 fold since it first opened. It was obviously a good time to be a brewer.

Thomas Birks had 2 sons, Edward and William. Whilst Edward eventually took over the running at Rawson’s, his younger brother used the family wealth to buy out Nanson’s Lady’s Bridge Brewery. By 1858 the Birks family ran the 2 largest breweries in Sheffield and in 1871 William expanded his own interests by taking over the Crown Brewery on Langsett Road.

Thomas Rawson & Co became a publicly listed company in 1897 and continued to expand its business.

In 1900 Duncan Gilmour entered the brewing business by taking over the Lady’s Bridge Brewery. Gilmour’s rapidly expanded by buying out several of the smaller breweries in the city. Until the outbreak of World War 2 Gilmour’s and Rawson’s controlled around 30% of Sheffield’s pubs.

In December 1940 a German bomb flattened the Rawson’s Brewery in Pond Street, and in order to stop its pubs going dry, the company was forced into selling them to Gilmour’s. The Ball Inn was now a Gilmour’s house. Gilmour’s ownership was not as long as that of Rawson’s. In 1954 Gilmour sold out to Tetley of Leeds, and by 1964 had closed the company down. By this time the Ball had ceased to be a public house.and for many years was occupied by printers Coates & Wilkinson Ltd., and renamed the Hylton Works.

Around 10 years ago it appeared that the Ball was to get a second chance. New flats were being built and work started to renovate the ancient pub. However the project was abandoned and for several years the Ball was covered in orange plastic netting and had an uncertain future. However the plans were revived a couple of years ago, and following a rumoured £500,000 rebuild the Ball Inn was reborn as the Milestone “gastropub”, with a good range of real ales. It might not be recognisable to the drinkers of 1830, but is a good addition to Sheffield’s collection of real ale pubs.

At the other end of Ball Bridge stood the Cardigan Tavern. It is almost as old as the Ball and has been closed for almost as long. Work has recently started on the building. It is not to be reopened as a pub…but maybe one day it will.

Incidentally I have several photos of the Milestone as a printers works.

Regarding Cask & cutler/Wellington. I do not believe it was ever a dentists although a nearby pub suffered that fate.

Great site and photos.

I'm glad you've got the Ship Inn on there; I go past it almost every week on my way to see my Gran and although I've never been in I always admire it's traditional exterior. Do you happen to know when it was built?

There's a few blocks of flats (maybe offices, I don't know) going up round there - I just hope the pub is safe from bulldozers.

edit: Nevermind about when it was built, I've realised it says 1833 on tonkatoys website :)

Thanks for that...

AND THANKS TO THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE RECENTLY SENT ME PUB PIX AND INFO.., It will get on the site eventually. HONESTLY

The Ship is a great landmark. I love the tiles.

It was a pub in 1833 and appears to have been a free house. It wasbought by Tomlinsons in 1924 when the tiles were applied. After the Anchor Brewery was bombed Tomlinsons merged with the tiny "Hope Brewery" to for Hope & Anchor who were arguably the driving force and foundations of the UKs largest brewers Bass Charrington.

Not been in for a while but I think it was one of the pubs sold off during deregulation to Hardy Hansons... correct me if I am wrong on that.

There is certainly huge activity in the area but as far as I know the pub is safe... By the way if you pop round the corner onto Dunn Street there is the beautifully preserved Bulls Head with Old Albion mouldings. Hard to believe that this short road once had 6 pubs.

Thanks for that...

AND THANKS TO THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE RECENTLY SENT ME PUB PIX AND INFO.., It will get on the site eventually. HONESTLY

The Ship is a great landmark. I love the tiles.

It was a pub in 1833 and appears to have been a free house. It wasbought by Tomlinsons in 1924 when the tiles were applied. After the Anchor Bas bombed Tomlinsons merged with the tiny "Hope Brewery" to for Hope & Anchor who were arguably the driving force and foundations of the UKs largest brewers Bass Charrington.

Not been in for a while but I think it was one of the pubs sold off during deregulation to Hardy Hansons... correct me if I am wrong on that.

There is certainly huge activity in the area but as far as I know the pub is safe... By the way if you pop round the corner onto Dunn Street there is the beautifully preserved Bulls Head with Old Albion mouldings. Hard to believe that this short road once had 6 pubs.

Thankyou for the information tonkatoy, very interesting :)

I may well have a wander round there and have look at the Bulls Head while I'm at it.

There are already several books about sheffield pubs. The Michael Liversage Tome "Sheffield Public houses" is already in print for nearly a decade and extremely good. It is purely an a-z list of all the pubs of sheffield and most of them have a photo, and it is extremely thorough with stories and data collected over many years of research. You will have to improve on his work considerably if you wish to make a success with a book.

Speaking for myself. I have been maintaining my interest in local pubs for 9 years and my website was started in the 1990s. Whenever any news about local pubs gets into the news I intend to add to my data. I am not interested in covering the whole of the city however. I just cover the areas where I sometimes go to drink. I often do not update the site for a considerable time, and then I make some updates.

My main motivation is local history, I have quite a library of local history books and can pour over them for hours. By collecting photos and information in my era, I feel that I am adding to this work. If I can keep it up for decades then the pictures on my websites will track the changes in localpubs and chart many lost pubs before they dissapear completely.

I have also done this with the 70 odd local Cinemas and Tower blocks. I welcome your work, as far as I am concerned the more people doing this the better, we can exchange links and everyone can enjoy a more complete story of local pubs.

Send me a link and I will add it. Interesting to hear you are at Woodseats as I am very close by. I was particularly pleased when the Coach & Horses reopened at Dronfield. That is now a fabulous pub. You might have spotted the articles that I write for Beer Matters. I recently did histories of the Woodseats and the Sheaf View.

If you missed them I can forward.

Incidentally I already have a publishing deal for the book, if I ever get round to finishing it. It is about 75% complete but I hope to get back on the case when the current distractions disappear.

Keep up the archives.

Incidentally I have some copies of reports and invoices for flood damage to some Deardens pubs around Malin Bridge etc from the great flood.

But I'm confused about the Manchester. It faced the river on Nursery Street, to it's right was the approach to Bridgehouses Goods Yard,

The Manchester (Arms ?) stood on the corner of Spital Fields and Nursery street. There was another pub on the opposite side, on Mowbray street, next to the old baths, called the Brown Cow I think. Strange name for a Sheffield pub.

The Manchester (Arms ?) stood on the corner of Spital Fields and Nursery street. There was another pub on the opposite side, on Mowbray street, next to the old baths, called the Brown Cow I think. Strange name for a Sheffield pub.

The Manchester Arms is now renamed the Harlequin

The Brown Cow is now the Riverside having gone through several reincarnations.

Incidentally I have a photograph of the pub being redone.

Half the sign calls it the Riverside whilst the other has Wards signs and is called the Brown Cow. Sadly the huge plaster Brown Cow moulding the adorned the back wall of the pub was destroyed in the renovation. A great loss.

Hi Tonkatoy..My Grandfather Frank LOCKETT was the licensee of the New Brunswick Inn, Allen Street in 1911 before he came to Canada. He was also a policeman but had to resign ofcourse to run the pub.

Interesting article in the June 1911 Sheffield Independent regarding a Public House Scene (New Brunswick Inn) where a customer throws a glass at a Sheffield Landlady (my grandmother Mary Ann LOCKETT nee MORAN) and the Sheffield Court House decision. Let me know if you would like a copy for your records.

Trish

Good stuff.

The Farfield which was "battered by the 2007 flood" also features in photos of the Great Flood of 1864.

Photo here on the excellent Great Flood site - http://mick-armitage.staff.shef.ac.uk/sheffield/photogal/picflud7.html

That website deserves a thread of its own.

Some of it is so sad and touching......

....all those pubs reduced to rubble.:hihi:

While searching family history found that my grandfather Walter Smith was the landlord of the Anvil Inn Waingate around 1920 - 1925. It was at 22-24 Waingate next door but one to the Bull and Mouth. Its gone now replaced by a shop not built in stone, but concrete. There is a picture of it on Picturesheffield.com.

That is fact and almost accurate.

I have been putting together a website of Sheffield pubs past and present.

http://www.sheffieldpubs.fsnet.co.uk

Loads of people have helped me on this but I still need information and photographs of pubs.

If you can help send jpeg images to [email protected]

Preserve this information for posterity so that others can enjoy it

THANKS

The Devonshire Arms (Herries Road) is a recent development. It was built as a replacement for the Devonshire Arms on the Moor which was bombed during the war and subsequently pulled down in redevelopments.

What is this all about?