Who can repair after virus attack?

Hello.

My last PC got eaten by a virus. Luckily, I managed to download approx 650MB of files onto a CD before the PC finally died. I've now got a new laptop (with McAfee), but it won't open the CD - I suspect it may have the virus lurking on it. Does anyone know where I can take my CD to be repaired, i.e. removing whatever is blocking it so I can have access to my files again? Anywhre around London Road or Abbeydale road would be good, but frankly anywhere would be acceptable.

Thanks for your help

Regards,

Graham

Depends really on what you mean by 'download approx 650MB of files onto a CD before the PC finally died'.

If you mean that literally then it may be that the CD writing process didn't do the final act which is writing the table of contents onto the CD.

In which case I suspect you're stuffed.

If the process did complete ok then it shouldn't matter if the virus is present in the files unless you try to boot off the CD, which shouldn't work anyway unless you made it as a bootable disk (unlikely).

I've not known a virus kill a PC for many years (over 20).

The power supply may have died, or any other part failure could've occured.

There are many ways to kill a PC, a virus is not one of them (unless you're running DOS?):)

Hmm. Hadn't thought about the max limit. I seem to recall that it told me the burn was succesful. Don't know how to check though. Any guesses where I could take the CD to for any form of repair?

I've not known a virus kill a PC for many years (over 20).

Whatever it was that ate my computer, it meant that it went into slow, slow, slow mode and said that there were about 67 things going pear-shaped with it. In the end, it wouldn't even boot up. Bit like a hangover that gets worse rather than better as time goes on. I can forgive it, it was 8 years old and well used.

The easiest thing to do is stick the hard drive in another computer (or a USB hard drive caddy) & read the wanted files directly off the drive - but if any of the files are executables be sure not to just run them without scanning them in case they are infected.