Gay marriage - what do you think?

Doe you approve of "gay marriage"?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Doe you approve of "gay marriage"?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Don't know..

Totally agree with you there Kirky - everytime people mention gays, someone has to jump in and compare being gay to being a different race to caucasian :rolleyes:

Re same sex unions:

Personally, I don't think it right. Irregardless that it seems the more popular choice to say 'equal rights for gays', I think making it a legal union is going one step too far (and I am sure that if people are being honest, they will agree). I say this because it is inevitable that Civil Partners will soon be able to freely & legally adopt children and that is... cause for a whole other thread :)

Yes, times are changing - but that doesn't make it right.

Originally posted by kirky

but they are male and female.......totally different

Originally posted by Lea1979

Years ago this kind of uproar would have been caused by a black person marrying a white person (it probably still does to some people - but they'll soon die off )

Also to the person who mentioned Civil Partnerships for heterosexual couples; how would this differ from a marriage? :confused:

I can not belive some people have this thing over gay people still. Why does it bother you so much that two people in love of the same sex would like to do this, no one is harming you over it.

Im so happy it has finaly happend and i carnt wait for my aunts Civil service to happen next year, they have been together now for over 13 years and it is still a very strong relationship,and no befor people say that just jumping on the bandwaggon and want to do it because they are aloud to now,it happening as they want to do it as they love each other.

I belive most gay relationships are a lot stronger then straight peoples tbh and it is about time gay people got the same respect and rights as in a straight married couple.You dont see gay people camp out side a church chanting and spoiling the big day like i see straight people do it at a gay civil service like i seen on tv it make me so mad.

Why is it such a big issue, and please dont say it is a religious thing as i know many straight married couples that dont go to church and also dont stick to the wedding rules and break them and then devorce,at the end of the day it is not an issue when you sit down and think about it,we all human.Let people be happy and get on with life and just get on with yours and stop worrieing about other people relationships and get your own or use all this energy to make yours a that bit stonger if you are in one.

Us straight people are just jealous that all the hot girls fancy gay people before the straight...

some priest on itv news has just said that this gays getting married is the first step on the way to hell, why cant they have there own views insted of quoting the bible.

Originally posted by stars_gazing

I say this because it is inevitable that Civil Partners will soon be able to freely & legally adopt children and that is... cause for a whole other thread :)

Surely it's only a good thing that gay people would be able to adopt the children straight people have abandoned or decided they don't want ?

Or would you rather they stayed unloved orphans ?

But I think weve discussed this before.

My own opinion of why certain straight people arn't happy with the civil partnership is that it has slightly erroded their possition of superiority, they have one less reason to see us as below them - shame.

I've posted before that we intend to get hitched, tie the knot, whatever, in January. The reasons were primarily for the pension rights (both have 10yrs pension entitlement in the Civil Service), inheritance tax and the next of kin issues that arise in hospitals etc.

I dislike the terms marriage and wedding as I always associate these with heterosexuality and religous ceremonies, wether I am right in a technical is sense is not an issue to me.

What irritates me a lot is when the religous groups start putting their point across all the time, particularly when it's not asked for. For it to be relevant to me would mean me acknowledging that their beliefs have some place in my life and almost that I had strayed from their path so to speak.

Well, I never saw that path as one to take so don't see why their opinions or beliefs should affect what I do. I would never be disparaging or insulting or decry their rights to believe whatever they want.

I do think that the issue of carers rights and those for people who are not looked after by either a civil partnership or a traditional wedding ceremony should be dealt with as a matter of urgency.

When asked about marital status I usually just say 'living with partner'.

Originally posted by sTaGeWaLkEr

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear woolly gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

Nuff said :D

Thanks sTaGeWaLkEr, this post really give me a giggle. I also think you're replies on this post have shown you to be a dignified person with a good sense of humour, so well done for that!

But in all seriousness, I really don't get what all the fuss is about. People fall in love. Most commonly it occurs between two people of different sexes, but sometimes the feelings occur in people of the same sex. So what? If these people want to make a lifetime commitment to each other in the same way that heterosexual couples do, then what's the problem?

Gayness isn't a disease, and it's not a new thing. Homosexual people have exhisted throughout history. If you don't like it, then don't be gay! But homophobes really have no right to stick their noses into the business of other people, they should keep their opinions to themselves.

If a man wants to form a relationship with another man, then that should be his choice, and not open for debate by a load of curtain-twitching strangers and over-zelous religious sorts.

And I don't get why people have a problem with the ceremonies either. If two men (or women for that matter) are in love, they probably want to declare that love in front of their friends and family, in the same way as straight couples do. What's wrong with that?

We all seem to be forgetting something here... The legalisation of gay 'unions' is a recognition that love can exhist in many different forms. There should be more love in this world, so why the hell are so many people against it? Even if intimacy between two men is a subject that makes you uncomfortable, you should still be able to appreciate the genuine love that goes into these partnerships.

Now can we all go back to chuntering about terrorists or kiddie fiddlers, or something else that makes the UK a worse place. Because gay marriage certainly doesn't.

Originally posted by nick2

Surely it's only a good thing that gay people would be able to adopt the children straight people have abandoned or decided they don't want ?

i'm sure jonathon king would totally agree with you there mavis:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i'm sure jonathon king would totally agree with you there mavis:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's a well known fact that most child molestors are straight and related to the child.

:rolleyes:

You're still having problems distinguishing between homosexuality and paedophilia, aren't you?

As an erudite mod posted on another thread, if you have a problem with your own sexuality don't visit threads related to gay issues. :D