Gay marriage - what do you think?

Doe you approve of "gay marriage"?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Doe you approve of "gay marriage"?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Don't know..

Originally posted by sTaGeWaLkEr

'Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes'

That way, you have his shoes and you are a mile away. :thumbsup:

Anyway, the point about have this civil partnerships is so gay couples have the same rights as straight couples - to end some discrimination. The whole point of marriage now meaning something else is a different issue.

So you are really arguing - should gay people have the same rights as straight people? yes or no?

If you are 'no' to this answer, then I would argue the same 'should women have the same rights as men'? And then I'd call you a hypocrite, unless you think women shouldn't have the same rights?

And the question can go to any discrimination. Black vs. White vs. Brown skin etc.

Anyway, don't use this thread to argue any other discrimination, start another cus I don't want to be blamed for further clouding the thread.

Also, did you know that in texas it is illegal for a man to have sex with a man but not illegal to have sex with his farm yard animals? keep on rocking in the free world!

Originally posted by KenH

The honest answer is that I haven't made my mind up, but on balance I would probably say that full marriage would have been better than what we now have. I certainly take on board an earlier posters message about whether people would have thought about mixed race wedding in this way years ago and will think about this.

I think that marriage has become de-valued and I worry that having some other things (regardless of whether they are same sex or not) is making this worse. As an example, I hear people saying "are you single?" when they really mean "have you a boyfriend". I would like two states, married and single with every other eventuallity covered by contracts.

Thanks for your honesty. I totally support your first paragraph. I have issues with one or two assertions you made in the second, but that's just a personal thing, and as we all are, you are entitled to your opinion :P

I got asked at the Hospital last week if I was married or single. If I had a partner (which I don't) then what should my answer have been? Technically, I would have been neither....

Maybe, instead of just mentioning 'Married' and 'Single' these people could incorporate 'Same sex relationship' into their form completing exercises....

Just a thought...

Originally posted by sTaGeWaLkEr

I got asked at the Hospital last week if I was married or single. If I had a partner (which I don't) then what should my answer have been? Technically, I would have been neither....

I say "not single".

Originally posted by mr_clumpit

He's like a school holiday!

could you explain please:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by nick2

I say "not single".

Cool - that sounds ok to me Nick.

I did once reply (I was havin a bad day admittedly)...........'I'm a poof - have ya not got a tickbox for me'?

I laughed as I watched the discomfort on her face.

Well, if we have to feel it, why can't they?

sTaGeWaLkEr, you are treating the question as an closed question. Although technically it is, when it is done in speech pretext then it's an open question.

For example: When someone asks a vegetarian (not knowing they are veggie) are you having a turkey or goose for christmas lunch. It's a closed question but when spoken it is meant as an open question.

So in other words, that type of question is fine to ask. If you was filling out a survey it wouldn't be fine. it's just the way language works.

Kirky, I love to see just how uncomfortable and awkward you would be in a room full of gay men.

Kid's got issues! :hihi:

Me and my partner have taken little interest in the new CP's. Don't know why, but it just hasn't been an issue we've discussed or thought about.

Originally posted by Gethical

sTaGeWaLkEr, you are treating the question as an closed question. Although technically it is, when it is done in speech pretext then it's an open question.

For example: When someone asks a vegetarian (not knowing they are veggie) are you having a turkey or goose for christmas lunch. It's a closed question but when spoken it is meant as an open question.

So in other words, that type of question is fine to ask. If you was filling out a survey it wouldn't be fine. it's just the way language works.

I disagree Geth, but one of the things we have in this country is (relatively) free speech. I will fight until the day I die for people to be able to speak their mind - even if I don't agree with their opinions

Re: the closed/open thing......it would take me a long time to explain why, and I really can't be bothered....:heyhey:

Lunch is calling :)

What are you disagreeing with? The question was not ok to ask?

Your reply is confusing, cus I do not know what you are relating to? I didn't say anything on free speech. I was just saying how the english language generally works. The person at the hospital was just being friendly and your response was fine. I've no clue what you are talking about but anything to do with free speech I'm all for. Part of my business involves this.

If you are jounalist then the question in speech form wouldn't be acceptable. But different levels and formal and informal speech exist. Your conversation was informal thus the question that was asked is fine because it leaves it open for further discussion.

And I didn't express an opinion in the post you quoted

:confused: = me

Ok, I re-read the posts.

I get ya now

She was asking for hospitals records to record on your chart. I thought it was someone you just randomly started chatting to having a conversation...

So yeah, you are right the hospital form shouldn't of said that.

I think it's about time this was introduced. Can you imagine spending a lifetime with the person you love and not being allowed the same rights as a married couple? If your partner is ill in hospital you wouldnt be classed as family and could be stopped from seeing them.

After spending a lifetime building a home with your partner it could be taken apart after their death by greedy relatives.(Believe me they descend like vultures no matter how nice they normally are) All the sentimental bits they owned may be taken away from you.

Imagine meeting the 'one' and not being able to declare legally that this person is the only person you ever want to be with.

posted by kirky

how ridiculous is that,what next free IVF treatment

the worlds going mad

How very homophobic of you.

Kookymonster - well said, you have summed up exactly how it should be .. except for the homophobic people who will disagree... we live in the 21st century not the 70`s....

it is being talked about on this thread. search button is to the left.. maybe the same homophobic people posting again ...

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27525&perpage=15&highlight=gay%20marriage&pagenumber=17