Gay marriage - what do you think?

Doe you approve of "gay marriage"?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Doe you approve of "gay marriage"?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Don't know..

My understanding is that they are not 'marriages' as such. They are 'civil partnerships', which provide each partner with legal rights in relation to the other. This seems to me to be perfectly reasonable. Moreover, if they get the added bonuses of symbolic public recognition of their partnership, plus a nice ceremonial 'do', then all well and good.

I suspect though that the term 'getting 'CPd' won't catch on. It doesn't have quite the same ring to it as 'getting married'.

Originally posted by kirky

how ridiculous is that,what next free IVF treatment:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the worlds going mad:|

If you don't like it, don't do it. Simple as that.

Originally posted by LordChaverly

My understanding is that they are not 'marriages' as such. They are 'civil partnerships', which provide each partner with legal rights in relation to the other. This seems to me to be perfectly reasonable. Moreover, if they get the added bonuses of symbolic public recognition of their partnership, plus a nice ceremonial 'do', then all well and good.

I suspect though that the term 'getting 'CPd' won't catch on. It doesn't have quite the same ring to it as 'getting married'.

Many people seem to be under the impression that it is in fact a marriage - it's a cut-down version, that is however, legal.

:)

What I find a bit 'look at me - look at me' from today is the number of people trying to 'get married' because Elton John and David Furnish are doing so today.

I find it a bit sad really.

Just because Elton is doing so- dosent mean everyone else has to jump on the bandwagon to get some publicity- I've already seen one 'couple' this morning on Calendar getting in on the act.

Nice, very nice.

Not that I am against gay marriage please understand!

Everyone has the right to be happy- with anyone they wish to be with.

Just dont do it for publicity purposes.

Its very very sad.

Originally posted by PINGU

If you don't like it, don't do it. Simple as that.

right i won't then:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ANGELUS

What I find a bit 'look at me - look at me' from today is the number of people trying to 'get married' because Elton John and David Furnish are doing so today.

I think it is more likely that they are doing this to be amongst the first in the UK rather than it being anything to do with doing it on the same day as a popstar.

I am against these partnerships in their current form. In my view, if two people want to have a legal right to pensions, benefits etc, then this shouldn't be made to be like a wedding and it shouldn't exclude non-homosexual "partners". There are other examples such as people who stay at home for years to look after an elderly relative who should have a similar mechanism. I believe there should be a system open to other "partners" and that it should be done by some other means rather than having a ceremony.

What a complete load of homophobic b*llocks!

To the majority of people in this thread - why don't you actually just think about what you're typing?....

Some people really p*ss me off!

Originally posted by KenH

I am against these partnerships in their current form. In my view, if two people want to have a legal right to pensions, benefits etc, then this shouldn't be made to be like a wedding and it shouldn't exclude non-homosexual "partners". There are other examples such as people who stay at home for years to look after an elderly relative who should have a similar mechanism. I believe there should be a system open to other "partners" and that it should be done by some other means rather than having a ceremony.

Ken so you're against gay weddings then? Would have thought you would have been in favour with your liberal leanings..

There's hope...

Originally posted by kirky

how ridiculous is that,what next free IVF treatment:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the worlds going mad:|

It's OK kirky - it's not yet compulsory. :)

I disagree with the concept as well - like KenH I'd like to see some sort of 'Notice of Association' in place that allows people to legally associate themselves with another person, irrespective of gender or sexual orientation.

I disagree with the idea of formalising relationships as if they were marriages - they're not, never will be, never can be.

And donning my asbestos underwear I wait for the flame storm. :)

Joe

Joe - the pink pounders will be after you and Ken for sure. Personally I think they should be allowed to get married if they want to - why not? It is the pantomime season after all...

I think this is long overdue. Society has to move on, to develop, to evolve.

Years ago this kind of uproar would have been caused by a black person marrying a white person (it probably still does to some people - but they'll soon die off ;) )

Things change, life moves on - accept it and you'll all be happier :)

Originally posted by Internetowl

Ken so you're against gay weddings then? Would have thought you would have been in favour with your liberal leanings..

Well they aren't weddings are they? They are some half way house which gives an outside appearance of a ceremony without actually being called a wedding. But then everyone, inlcluding me, is going to call them weddings anyway.

I can't see any reason why homosexual couples shouldn't have rights to pensions etc, this just isn't the best way of going about it. Most importantly, it doesn't cater for other partnerships which need such a system.