Gay marriage - what do you think?

Doe you approve of "gay marriage"?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Doe you approve of "gay marriage"?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Don't know..

Why shouldn't a same-sex couple have the same rights as a hetero couple? Not only to have legal authority in having a say in the relationship, but to be recognised, as a couple?

I tried to explain this to an aquaintance the other day, and she just could not get her head around it:-

A straight husband and wife partnership, should one of the partners be involved in an accident, the other partner can make decisions about treatment, even , God forbid, that the life support be turned off.

A same-sex couple could have been together for forty years, but in the same scenario, would be excluded from the decision making, and have no rights/ no say over what happened to their "other half".

My God! they could even be excluded from the hospital How unjust!

I applaud the concept of same sex marriage.

PT

Civil partnerships between people of the same sex is legal from today.... this gives the same rights as "Married" opposite sex partners under the present law.

Is this right or does this just demean the sanctity of marriage?

The idea of a 'partnership' makes sense from the perspective of property rights, pensions etc when one of the couple dies or they split up perhaps. I don't have any problem with that, it seems that it had been a bit unfair before if a couple had spent donkeys years together for there to be no legal framework to recognise the fact and afford financial rights as would a heterosexual marriage. Using the word 'marriage' though I think should be avoided as this is a rite belonging to the church which doesn't condone such a union.:thumbsup:

Originally posted by daverity

The idea of a 'partnership' makes sense from the perspective of property rights, pensions etc when one of the couple dies or they split up perhaps. I don't have any problem with that, it seems that it had been a bit unfair before if a couple had spent donkeys years together for there to be no legal framework to recognise the fact and afford financial rights as would a heterosexual marriage. Using the word 'marriage' though I think should be avoided as this is a rite belonging to the church which doesn't condone such a union.:thumbsup:

Well said daverity..... and peter41 it's also being talked about on this thread.... I'm glad you noticed. :P

Mod: Threads Merged. Please search before starting a new topic.

how ridiculous is that,what next free IVF treatment:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the worlds going mad:|

Originally posted by Lea1979

we'll be landing on the moon next

holding hands with the co pilot:rolleyes:

It's all to do with the society we live in nowadays.

Seems strange to me but obviously to some others it just seems perfectly natural.

We just live our lives the way we want.