Gay marriage - what do you think?

Doe you approve of "gay marriage"?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Doe you approve of "gay marriage"?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Don't know..

why anyone would want to get maried full stop is beyond me but if two legal people who love each other want to then I cannot comprehend any sensible reason for stopping them.

Originally posted by JonJParr

It's like rewriting the Bible or Koran to say "homosexuality is welcomed and accepted by God". Rewriting religion to suit your own lifestyle is wrong!

Quite. Religion doesn't welcome homosexuality and is not accepted by god. Any attempt by so called moderates or progressives to say otherwise is doomed to fail. You cannot be gay and a member of any of the Abrahamic religions. Full stop. See the new Pope or any random Mullah for confirmation of this.

Given this, don't these religions fall foul of sexual discrimination laws? Furthermore, why would anyone want to sign up to something that discriminates against gays (which is illegal and illogical and which religion does in spades)? :huh: Do religions discriminate against gays because they see homosexuality as unnatural or a 'sin'? If so, the implication is that individuals choose to be gay, a mere lifestyle choice that could be reversed if only that individual would embrace religion! (Fat chance in any state governed by sharia law as they would be stoned to death before repenting of their 'sin').

If religion wishes to see homosexuality as a sin, fine. Let them believe in whatever nonsense they like (from Noah's Ark to immaculate conceptions, weeping statues :loopy:and all the rest of it) but those beliefs need to be kept out of public life. Otherwise we would be living in a theocracy. Iran anyone? :gag:

The problem with certain quarters' attitudes towards homosexuality, is that it's a bit "pick 'n' mix" which bits of the rules and regulations are followed, and which bits aren't.

For example, folks seem to rant and rave on about the "sins" of homosexuality, and how the Bible says it's supposed to be "wrong".

However, it also says that it is forbidden to wear cloth of mixed fibres. So, that poly-cotton shirt that I wore yesterday will have me burning in hell for eternity...

It also says that we are forbidden to eat meat from pig, or shellfish, so that prawn cocktail in the restaurant, or the bacon and eggs you had for breakfast this morning will have your eyebrows singed off in double-quick time.

It also says that the keeping of slaves is acceptable, but surely no one in this day and age who has all their faculties would say that it's right to have someone enslaved to them (no, i'm not referring to the S&M circles)

It really gets my goat that a loving, monogamous, and stable relationship can be condemmned out of hand simply because the couple are of the same gender.

I know of supposedly devout, (and church-going) christians, who have the morals of tom-cats, "bonking" anything with a pulse. It just doesn't scan.

If a couple love each other, and are settled, happy and stable, what the F* does it/ should it matter, if they are the same gender or different?

Why should Fhain not enjoy a wonderful day, with a marriage ceremony, and wedding reception (or equivalent) just because his partner is male?

I don't know him, except through this forum, and his postings, but, what does that matter? I rejoice with him, and his partner, over the "nuptuals", and I wish them a long and joyous life together, and every happiness.

PT

Chatting with some friends the other day, I learned that Sheffield is going to be the first city in the UK to hold legal same-sex weddings. This would be fantastic news, so can anybody back that up, and if so when is it going to happen?

My friends suggested that as I am already a celebrant (baby namings, green burials, rites of passage etc) that I should advertise gay wedding planning too. I LIKE it!

Whaddyall think?

I've heasrd keeble hawson solicitors are keen to take on same sex clients to help with their rights. If you need a contact there let me know as I know a few people there.

I think it's an absolutely fantastic idea!

I do believe you will have to be registered as an "Authorised Person" to carry out the 'wedding ceremony', as has a person who conducts 'straight' weddings.

(which may mean that you can be a marriage celebrant for 'straight' weddings as well, IIRC)

I'd look into it asap, and get the necessary documentation.

Good luck.

PT

A wedding? 2 blokes? Surely not!

posted by corpg

and why not ?, if 2 men love each other then they should get married, its a great idea, makes allsorts to spin this world round.

Originally posted by peter41

and why not ?, if 2 men love each other then they should get married, its a great idea, makes allsorts to spin this world round.

If they love each other then yes, they should be able to formalise their relationship. I just believe the terms wedding and marriage should be for the bond between a man and a woman, like they have always been.

Originally posted by CorpG

Or two women :gag:

lets not forget the ladies, if two women love each other and want to get married then they should be able to! and should they want to send me photos of their wedding night, they wouldnt go to waste! all entrys post to PO BOX...