Random acts of kindness

Thank you Mr Moderator!!

Did a search but under giving flowers to a stranger . . . maybe a little specific . . . . you think?!?!

Like the website you posted - loads of good ideas, yay! Don't you think there's something we could do actually on the Forum though? Virtual Random Kindness?! Buying moderators a virtual coffee?!?!

I think this is a lovely thread - it's good to hear about the nice things in the world for a change.

To be on the receiving end of a RAK can be really take you by surprise, and be a happy memory for years. A couple of years ago now I was making my way to the bus-stop for a lunchtime appointment in town. I was running a bit late so was feeling a bit stressed. I had to wait for a while at the traffic lights on the way, and while standing there, noticed an elderlyish lady waiting at the lights on the other side, sort of looking at me.

I crossed over, and was a bit surprised when this lady just stayed where she was. I reached the pavement, then she said, 'excuse me, but are you catching the bus?'. I'm edging away slowly when she explained that she'd bought a day-saver ticket for the earlier that morning, but she'd now finished her travelling for the day, and thought it would be nice if someone else could make use of the ticket, as it was only lunch-time!

So she offered me the ticket! Never seen her before or since! I thought it was a really sweet gesture, and it really made my day. Seems like it was just a spontaneous, kind thought on her part - that's what makes the world go round!

StarSparkle :)

PS I didn't actually use her ticket - I'm such a model citizen! - it was just the kind thought that counted :D

hubby does this in car parks, if we still have lots of time left on our ticket he will pass it to the next person coming in :D

we have also had it done to us too :thumbsup:

I do that - pass ticket on.

Last year when I was visiting my Dad every day at the hospital -twice a day it cost me a fortune and sometimes it was just a case of 5mins to pick my mum up! So I often had plenty of time left on tickets so gave it to someone else.

Unfortunately some meters you now have to put your reg number in so it stops you doing that.

Originally posted by JoePritchard

To paraphrase Jebediah Springfield - 'it embiggens the soul'!!

Joe

Joe, I always love your Simpsons references! Jebediah is right, of course. It doth 'embiggen' the soul. I think it's a wonderful thing to do small favors for strangers. Like dropping a rock in a pool of water, it just might put someone else in a good mood, who puts someone else in a good mood...and goodness knows where it's likely to end!

Sounds much like the plot of 'Pay it Forward'. Not a bad movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0223897/plotsummary

:) Sierra

Originally posted by dawny1

Unfortunately some meters you now have to put your reg number in so it stops you doing that.

I do this whenever possible. As far as I'm concerned I've paid for X amount of time, and if not me, then someone's going to get the money's worth.

Should be easier to demonstrate this method of kindness now. Where the car number goes you just put 0001, 0051, 0002, 0052 etc (if registered this millenium) so chances are there'll be another car of same reg on it's way in.

I really do try to be kind in my everyday life------but one thing still bothers me.

Deep down you know that , generally , if you are kind , then people are usually kind in return.

Now , the thought occurs to me , am I being kind for its own sake , or am I really being kind because I know I'll get some return ?

Very complicated ! Anyway , whatever ; it's still a more pleasant world when people are kind to each other than doing each other down ------whatever the philosophical position is !!

Originally posted by Fareast

I really do try to be kind in my everyday life------but one thing still bothers me.

Deep down you know that , generally , if you are kind , then people are usually kind in return.

Now , the thought occurs to me , am I being kind for its own sake , or am I really being kind because I know I'll get some return ?

Very complicated ! Anyway , whatever ; it's still a more pleasant world when people are kind to each other than doing each other down ------whatever the philosophical position is !!

This was a idea being explored on another thread recently.

Personally I think you do gain, from selfless behaviour, so is it selfish or selfless?

Who can say?

The thing is, it's ok, because it's a win win situation, and all the best situations are. You're kind to someone, they feel good, you feel good. Great!

I mean, you wouldn't wanna feel good all on your lonesome would you?

Mmmm, last random act of kindness? I got stopped on Shoreham Street last Friday by a van driver and his mate from Huddersfield. They were strangers to Sheffield, and hopelessly lost trying to navigate unfamiliar one-way systems. We were near the Post Office, and they wanted to get to Matlida Street. I began giving directions, and realised how complicated it all sounded. So, in the end, I jumped into the cab, and off we all went. Much easier.

Can I take this opportunity to publicly thank the forum member, who, although a complete stranger, posted me a packet of cigars (first class post!) when I was recently housebound and couldn't get out to the shops. What a random act of kindness that was! Thank you, kind sir. (NB So, when he posted earlier on this thread that he throws loose change into a kid's playground - you can indeed believe his random acts of kindness!).

Originally posted by redrobbo

So, in the end, I jumped into the cab, and off we all went. Much easier.

Here's my random act of kindness for today : don't try this at home. Getting in vehicles with strangers is NOT a good idea :o