Random acts of kindness

Well .. now that the official most depressing day of the year (Jan 24th) has come and gone .. time to turn our minds and hearts to more cheerey things ....

When was the last random act of kindness you did for someone (maybe a stranger) that you didn't have to do ... but you did anyway !?

(not sure how many replies this will get ... i recon people just don't wanna damage their street cred by fessing up on how lovely and kind hearted the are).

Guest nslack

Depends on how you mean, do you mean little things like just opening a door? Or big thngs?

I like to think i do lots of kind things for people, even if its simple stuff like letting them on the escalator first or taking a few seconds more to hold the door open for a mother with a pram.

Last summer I was in Cornwall

Me and some friends went to a fish and chip shop and were waiting in a queue. It was a busy time and we were waiting a long time,

A old woman was infront of us who required a walking stick and seemed to have trouble standing up for this amount of time.

The people who were working there said they'd go get her a chair but after a while it was clear that they had forgotten about her.

So I walked into the actual seating area and fetched a chair for her.

That's the last thing I can remember.....

I like to think that I behave as my mother taught me and that to think of acts of kindness as anything other than a normal way to act is wrong.

Originally posted by nslack

Depends on how you mean, do you mean little things like just opening a door? Or big thngs?

I like to think i do lots of kind things for people, even if its simple stuff like letting them on the escalator first or taking a few seconds more to hold the door open for a mother with a pram.

Hey nslak,

Anything that sticks out in your mind. Maybe where you've put yourself out a little, just to help another person, and got a little glow of warmth in your heart ...

Does that make sense?

not sure how many replies this will get ... i recon people just don't wanna damage their street cred by fessing up on how lovely and kind hearted the are).

Not sure it's about street cred so much as making it public sort of detracts from the act. That's how I feel anyway but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate other people's acts of kindness towards others :)

Originally posted by Siân

Not sure it's about street cred so much as making it public sort of detracts from the act. That's how I feel anyway but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate other people's acts of kindness towards others :)

I see what you mean Sian.

I guess it detracts from the act if you've only done it so that you can make it public and get a good image etc (which would be just selfishness really).

I don't see the harm in sharing stories after the (f)act though ... or am I missing something?

Originally posted by Jamie

I don't see the harm in sharing stories after the (f)act though ... or am I missing something?

Have you got any stories of your kindness Jamie?

Guest nslack

In that case, Jamie, I have no idea, i feel good about it whenever I help someone, I'm sure I must have done something beg I just can't remember :(

Originally posted by IanMitchell

Have you got any stories of your kindness Jamie?

Hmmm ... I really must learn to think before posting !!

I guess it detracts from the act if you've only done it so that you can make it public and get a good image etc (which would be just selfishness really).

I think even if you didn't do it with that in mind but then have to point out how 'good' you were afterwards (& we all feel compelled to do that) it detracts.

I like hearing stories about acts of kindness though - maybe it works better when we're relating acts of kindess we've had done to us or seen others do

Ok ... bit naive of me perhaps ... just thought it would be nice to share some kindness and light for a change ... so sod you all ... I shall keep my kindness and light to myself in future :P

Mods feel free to close this down.