How many Expats would move back to Sheffield

HA HA plumber,my aching sides!

Funny how many people are on here to give poor old Sheffield a beating,mostly because of some distorted views,some people are positively rude about it,what are you doing on "Sheffield forum" anyway if it's left such a bad taste in your mouth!

Sheffield is a city I feel perfectly safe in,it's green and surrounded by some of the best countryside in the UK.The people are as friendly as any other UK city and it has a lot going for it.

I think some of you "MAIL" readers need to leave the computer screen and see whats out there!

Too bad this thread seems to have gone a bit off track. I also sense a bit of misinterpretation afoot. Some of the comments could have been more tactfully put but they aren't all that bad. However, I'll stake out my own feelings abt Sheffield. I was born there and grew up there in working class neighborhoods: Park and Stradbroke mainly. I will always have a soft spot for the place and maybe because I'm now officially in those "golden" years (a friend of mine, on his death bed, once joked that the only thing golden about his years was his urine, but I digress), I have more than a tinge of nostalgia for Sheffield. I love the Sheffield that I grew up in. It's changed, in many respects not for the better, but then so has every other place that I have lived in. Vancouver is not the place that I remember from 40 years ago. Neither is St John's, Newfoundland. Many of the problems that seem to be affecting Sheffield nowadays are also in those other places: urban sprawl, loss of character in the downtown core, crime, etc. So, we can all lament that Sheffield is not the place it used to be, but let's keep it in perspective.

Would I move back there? No, because I'm settled now. Not because I think where I live is better. I do prefer the more rural lifestyle that I can now enjoy, but that's probably because I've grown accustomed to it.

To conclude, I wish Sheffield were the place it used to be, but that's not the reality. I love where I live now. But I'll defend Sheffield as a special place for me and Sheffielders as the salt of the earth

cheers, everyone.

Funny how many people are on here to give poor old Sheffield a beating, mostly because of some distorted views, some people are positively rude about it, what are you doing on "Sheffield forum" anyway if it's left such a bad taste in your mouth!

Exactly nyala. As a former expat. I have no desire to return to Sheffield; I'm happy where I am (now as an expat. 60 miles away.:P) but I would never "knock" Sheffield - lots of people are perfectly happy there.

The trouble with threads like this one is that, before long, a handful of expats start to lecture us all on the wonders of where they live, telling us that it’s a heavenly paradise compared with Sheffield (which they pretend hasn’t changed since they left - for evidence see post #56). As nyala wrote in post #53, it's a bit condescending to say that one lives in a better place than others, and I for one won’t try and distort the evidence (see post #74) to sing the praises of where I live. I’m happy where I am in rural Lincs. - but I wouldn’t claim that it is, in absolute terms, better than anywhere else; it all depends on what you want. My contentment with where I am is based on fairly wide experience, together with the economic ability to live more-or-less where I want. Unlike, I suppose, most people born at Woodland View I’ve been all over the world - including most parts of Australia, for example. I’ve actually lived in Oz, and I enjoyed my fairly brief stay there (after 21 months the Bank moved me back to Canary Wharf). And unlike some Forummers I’m prepared to believe that there are people who are happier living somewhere other than where I choose to live. Well, if expat Sheffielders are happy where they are, good luck to them - but just, for once, spare a thought for the possibility that there might be places to live that other people prefer.

Anyone recognise this view?

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/8June08.jpg

Taken at 7-15 pm yesterday (hence the long shadows in the June sunshine).

The trouble with threads like this one is that, before long, a handful of expats start to lecture us all on the wonders of where they live, telling us that it’s a heavenly paradise compared with Sheffield (which they pretend hasn’t changed since they left - for evidence see post #56).

hillsbro, post #56 is where I lived before I came here, the only difference in the pic to when I lived there was the tram, I lived where the tram is, it was replaced by a bus, this is the same scene today taken from the opposite side,

scan0002.jpg, so I'm quite aware of the changes to the area & the city.

The pics I put on this thread was to show the comparisons between the two places in which I have lived over the past years, nothing else.

As far as lectures go, I don't feel the need to talk of my travels or what positions I have held in my life, needless to say that I came here with one hundred pounds, I am 5 years your senior & have been a self funded retiree for the last nine years, so get off your soapbox.

While we have different cultures and cuisines right here in Sheffield. But the weather's the same....;)

BUT YOU DONT LIVE IN SHEFFIELD B.H IT STICKS:hihi:

As far as lectures go, I don't feel the need to talk of my travels.

Come off it, skippy. I didn't "lecture" about my travels - it was suggested that I provide details and I responded. ...

Although we are both evidently happy where we are (Caistor will do fine for me, with weekly visits to family and friends in Sheffield) the difference between our viewpoints seems to be that, far from thinking that I live in a paradise I am prepared to believe that there are people who are also happy where they are, and who wouldn't want to live where I live. They might not be able to understand why on earth I want to live where I live. They are entitled to their opinion.

Live and let live.

BUT YOU DONT LIVE IN SHEFFIELD B.H IT STICKS:hihi:

Look before you post, sydneyoss. Look at my location, I mean - it states that I live "mostly" in Lincolnshire. We spend two days each week in Sheffield, and will do so while ever we keep our Wadsley bungalow (probably for the rest of the year). Hence the Bradfield photo taken on Sunday.

why do you need to edit and twist the evidence for your own ends (post #70). Why not, for a moment, just accept that there are people who prefer to live somewhere other than your "paradise" (your description).

hillsbro, I accept that people will live wherever they want to, I have said in the past that this is the best place for me & mine, and I stick to that, nowhere have I said that I live in a better place than anyone else.

The reason I edit posts, is so that you know what part I am commenting on, they call it the KISS method, just for people like you, ?ankers.

I think between us, we have spoiled a good thread, no further comments.

Dont Know Any Bungalows In Wadsley Bridge. Youd Have To Have A Lot Of Money For That Lot May Be Millions Of Pounds. If Youd Like A Good Night Out Youd Get A Good Welcome Southey Green Club Or The Five Arches

I have said in the past that this is the best place for me & mine, and I stick to that, nowhere have I said that I live in a better place than anyone else.

..and you also described it as paradise. And I wouldn't call people names.

Dont Know Any Bungalows In Wadsley Bridge. Youd Have To Have A Lot Of Money For That Lot ...

To answer both points, it isn't in Wadsley Bridge it's in Wadsley, and it's worth about 200k. And my local in Sheffield is the Horse & Jockey. It can get rough at times, but what the hell....

Living in Wadsley, you may know of the Dial House Club.