How many Expats would move back to Sheffield

I suppose it's called contentment, I never tire of the area in which I live.

That makes at least two of us, Skippy...

All I can say to that hillsbro, is thank goodness, who would want to spend a few weeks in a resort, I for one have paradise on the doorstep, and it's free.
Of course - see my post, which you edited....

Of course - see my post, which you edited....

I have a brother who lives at Cleveleys, he goes to Europe each year for his holidays, he wishes he had moved here with us now, so does my other brother who lives on the border of Yorkshire & Derbyshire, we had a lot of trouble trying to get them both back on the plane after they had seen this place.

I visited Blackpool in 1990, I couldn't see the sea from the sea wall because of the fog, that 3 weeks in the UK settled me for life, I know which side my bread is buttered now.

Well, if emigrant Sheffielders are happy where they are - whether it be Blackpool, Brunei or Ballarat - good luck to them. I share with them the lack of any desire to move back to Sheffield, though I'm only 60 miles away.

It's noticeable that these threads soon develop into expats in Oz telling us all what a wonderful country they live in - as if they feel a need to prove to people that they made the right decision to emigrate there. Oz is certainly a fine country to live in, but what people want depends on their lifestyle and preferences, and it doesn't suit everyone.

In my 60 years I've visited God-knows-how-many countries and lived in four. I can, I think, take a broader view than the average man in the street. And if I had to place countries in order of their desirability as a place to live, both Britain and Australia would be high on the list. One difference between the two is that in the UK (and especially in Sheffield) we have beautiful countryside on our doorstep - and we also have easy, cheap access to a wealth of different countries, cultures, cuisines and climates, which begin just 35 km from our shores.

One difference between the two is that in the UK (and especially in Sheffield) we have beautiful countryside on our doorstep.

This is the main road at the top of our street, very similar to England.

100_1005.jpg

we also have easy, cheap access to a wealth of different cultures, cuisines and climates, which begin just 35 km from our shores.

We only have to go to Sydney for that, an hour and a half in the car. :hihi:

We only have to go to Sydney for that, an hour and a half in the car. :hihi:

While we have different cultures and cuisines right here in Sheffield. But the weather's the same....;)

This is the main road at the top of our street, very similar to England.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j134/skippy_63/100_1005.jpg

Yes indeed - take away the gum tree and it could almost be Devon, Durham or Dorset:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Choppedthegumdown-2.jpg

... and the locals even drive on the left: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Addedamotorbike.jpg

We moved from Sheffield 17 years ago now,We are lucky here and have an amazing lifestyle,big house, 6 acre's of beautiful gardens and great staff to look after us.As you get older you realise that it all means less and less.Truly THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME.

If I didn't get my 2 fixes of Sheffield a year,I'd be back!

Where did you move to a mental institution?

it depends on what you are use to.

I spent 9 years growing up in Lodge Moor with no probs/loved the people and the area and the city etc and then moved with my parents 25 years ago to Coventry.The last 25 years have been one hell of a bad dream !-a massive culture shock and me and my partner are moving back to Lodge Moor next year (depending on house prices !)

If anyone asked me where I was living now, I'd have to say in the past. But in reply to the question of making a return to Sheffield I think I'd rather live in hollow log.

I was not originally from Sheffield abut spent a lot of my younger life there whan my father left the RAF.

I was employed in the steel making industry and I still am in Australia.

I have been back to Sheffield many times over the past twenty-five years and the changes are astonishing.

It seems you notice the changes more when you are away and you don't notice when you live through them.

I still have friends and family in Sheffield and whenever I am with them the conversation seems to get around to the drug related problems in the City and matters of crime.

Whilst most places in the world have similar problems they seem to be more of a concern in Sheffield.

It was interesting to read the comments of Sydneygirl and Cheapcod they seem to sum up things very well and give a lot of credance to the old saying "You can never go home"