How many Expats would move back to Sheffield

I would never move back to Sheffield but I could easily move to Derbyshire. A few years ago we moved to Lincolnshire for the summer months and enjoyed driving around Derbyshire and Yorkshire but living in Sheffield, no thanks.

When I was in the navy I always loved coming home to my dear old city, Dancing at the City Hall, the pubs and all. But moving to Canada changed it all. Montreal became my home town. For architecture and style it left Sheffield in the dust. I got to care less about Wednesday as the Canadiens hockey team won everything. After moving to America, halfway between Boston and NYC what more could a city born person want for. All my immediate relatives either live here or are dispersed all over the UK. My wife came from Ireland and I have gladly become Part of her hospitable family in the republic. We visit there most yearsl

When I was in the navy I always loved coming home to my dear old city, Dancing at the City Hall, the pubs and all. But moving to Canada changed it all. Montreal became my home town. For architecture and style it left Sheffield in the dust. I got to care less about Wednesday as the Canadiens hockey team won everything. After moving to America, halfway between Boston and NYC what more could a city born person want for. All my immediate relatives either live here or are dispersed all over the UK. My wife came from Ireland and I have gladly become Part of her hospitable family in the republic. We visit there most yearsl

Really? What is good there buck?

Ahhh, I hated it there. Truely awful miserable place. I've never met so many unpleasant people. :(:help:

I thought I would come under a lot more criticism for my reply, and it seems that anyone who has experienced living outside the UK or within the UK don’t mind the regeneration of Sheffield, but its what we are proud of been a sheffielder that causes us the most concern, its not the place of birth but the people that are the reason some of us would not be prepared to move back home unless we could live in a nicer part of Sheffield or Derbyshire on the outskirts of Sheffield…..

Ahhh, I hated it there. Truely awful miserable place. I've never met so many unpleasant people. :(:help:

I take by your comment you must be taking about the French , and we've all had trouble there, but the city can be quite interesting in a way ,now as for their hockey team yuk yuk puke ,the Maple leafs is another story never won a decent game in 40yrs but we can always hope:D:D:D

The first three weeks I was there I would have heartily agreed with you, but I was bound by a two year contract so had to grin and bear it. After a few trips to the forum to watch les habs beat all, especially the MAPLE LEAFS!!, and some great shows at the Place des Artsw, eaten the best food outside of Paris, and joined in to some of the French humor it grew onme. Being fluent in French didn't hurt either. Its always worth while to give a place a second chance. Your description of Montreal could apply to Sheffield for some newcomers.

From my initial post I have read the replys it seams as I do remember Sheffield with a warm fondnes and will always be proud of my home town, but is seams that other expats have the same oppinion that it is not the City I remember. The people will never change and for that I am thankfull, because Sheffeld folk are the salt of the earth and I am proud to be from Sheffield.

The town has changed some say it is progress on the other hand some dont like it.

For me it is not to my taste and I would not return to live, as many people did I grew up when we had a steel industry and the coal to support it, Sheffield was the world leader in Steel,Tools and Cutlery, people who worked in thease industries worked long hours and their lives were basic including mine,but we were well fed and wanted for nothing and befor a Sm*rt Ar*e comes back this was the 60's

I know what you are saying flyer and buck. Perhaps I didn't give it a chance.

Mind you the world's a big place, I won't be trying there again. I wouldn't let it put me off the rest of Canada though.

Every one is different we went to Tasmania first for four years then moved to New Zealand. My Mum hated New Zealand did not like the people so she moved back to Sheffield then Barnsley ,me I love it here and love people this is my home may be because I was 15 when left Sheffield . But i have very fond memories of Stanigton ,Deepcar, Riverlyn valley and Burngreave Rd .

When I came back in 1984 I had tear in my eye but after a couple of months I was home sick for NZ.

I would love to visit and show my kids were I grew up may be one day.

Every one is different we went to Tasmania first for four years then moved to New Zealand. My Mum hated New Zealand did not like the people so she moved back to Sheffield then Barnsley ,me I love it here and love people this is my home may be because I was 15 when left Sheffield . But i have very fond memories of Stanigton ,Deepcar, Riverlyn valley and Burngreave Rd .

When I came back in 1984 I had tear in my eye but after a couple of months I was home sick for NZ.

I would love to visit and show my kids were I grew up may be one day.

It sure is a strange one that you get attached to somewhere.

I want to move to USA as soon as I get all the qualifications that I want. But even though I didn't want to leave last time, I got that lovely 'home' feeling you get when you see your home city.

Welcome to the forum btw ;)

The last time I left Sheffield I was angry with the town. I was made to feel an ousider, a foreigner almost, a part of something else that wasn't there. Hurt, I vowed I would never return as I left the city via the bus to Manchester airport. I was on my own, possibly part of the reason. I didn't feel a part; the reason may be Australia and Sydney. Still, after a while you forget the harshness, pictures of happier days overtake the sadness. Yes we would return to visit again and again. Probably face the same antagonisms again, leave with the same sadness again. Why do we do it to ourselves?

The last time I left Sheffield I was angry with the town. I was made to feel an ousider, a foreigner almost, a part of something else that wasn't there. Hurt, I vowed I would never return as I left the city via the bus to Manchester airport. I was on my own, possibly part of the reason. I didn't feel a part; the reason may be Australia and Sydney. Still, after a while you forget the harshness, pictures of happier days overtake the sadness. Yes we would return to visit again and again. Probably face the same antagonisms again, leave with the same sadness again. Why do we do it to ourselves?

Well I guess what I posted about Montreal means I can't be hypocritical, but perhaps you just met the wrong people.

I think Sheffield is a very friendly place still. (like anywhere though, I suppose, we have our fair share of tosspots:hihi:)