How many Expats would move back to Sheffield

Although I don't work or live too far from Sheffield it's not Sheffield. I would move back tomorrow if I had the opportunity.

Love the place.

They didn’t emigrate/move in order to pack it in and return, albeit my wife and her best pal returned from Toronto after living and working there for four years. We live on edge of the Peak Park, and other than being about as far from the coast as possible, I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else, I just need my regular beach fix.

The nearest coast to Sheffield is Cleethorpes, 72 miles. However, don't be put off as it is on the eastern side of lovely Lincolnshire and has Grimsby Town Football Club among it's attractions.

Edited by St Petre
add

There were many times in our early years in Canada that either my wife or myself wanted to return home, but it was always one wanted to and the other didn't for a lot of reasons. Then after going through a second recession in the early 90s, we both said that's it we are off back. We started getting things planned and then we realised how selfish we were being. Our daughters were Canadians with lots of friends here and although our oldest was born in Sheffield, she was very young when we came to Canada and fitted in right away. Then we pretty much settled in and have been quite content where we are.

I love to come back to visit as I still have lots of family over there, but I have mixed feelings as far as coming back permanently is concerned. My wife, on the other hand, has no interest whatsoever, as all her family are gone now.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Anyone who is a driver should avoid Sheffield like the plague. The bus and tram lanes alone are a nightmare. I would not like to come back, I couldn't afford the penalties.

Have lived all over the UK, spells in Ascot ,newcastle and Wolverhampton now Ingoldmells.

Had a few spell back in south Yorkshire in between. Love Sheffield and get back for the football as often as i can.

Self employment and a settled family over here means a late return is unlikely,

Anyone who is a driver should avoid Sheffield like the plague. The bus and tram lanes alone are a nightmare. I would not like to come back, I couldn't afford the penalties.

The outskirts are OK but driving or walking through the city centre is not like it was in the 60's/70's. I live near Chester which is much more relaxing to stroll round.

Whenever I go back to Sheffield I keep getting asked if I am American or Australian even though I have never lived in either country

Whenever I go back to Sheffield I keep getting asked if I am American or Australian even though I have never lived in either country

Funny that, folks here in Canada are totally fooled by my accent. Over the years, I have been asked if I was Australian, South African, Scottish, Irish, Welsh anything but English. A Sheffield accent is not something you hear every day on TV or otherwise in North America.:D

Saying all that I was making a phone call to the tax office many years ago and a young Canadian voice said "Which part of Sheffield are you from?" lol. I was speechless. It turns out his parents emigrated to Canada from Grenoside when he was a baby and his dad talked just like me.:)

Edited by Ontarian1981

What a surprise, to be asked about your Sheffield origins in Canada, just on the basis of your accent! A Sheffield accent certainly isn't something you hear every day in North America, but I also got a surprise on one occasion in San Francisco. While chatting to one of the locals on Nob Hill, he asked if I was from New England. I replied "No, I'm from Old England"..:)

Funny that, folks here in Canada are totally fooled by my accent. Over the years, I have been asked if I was Australian, South African, Scottish, Irish, Welsh anything but English. A Sheffield accent is not something you hear every day on TV or otherwise in North America.:D

Saying all that I was making a phone call to the tax office many years ago and a young Canadian voice said "Which part of Sheffield are you from?" lol. I was speechless. It turns out his parents emigrated to Canada from Grenoside when he was a baby and his dad talked just like me.:)

In Manila airport a few months ago, a lady said to my wife 'Is your husband Chinese'!!!!

The nearest coast to Sheffield is Cleethorpes, 72 miles. However, don't be put off as it is on the eastern side of lovely Lincolnshire and has Grimsby Town Football Club among it's attractions.

There’s always a downside, but the Mighty Mariners is a bit too much for me. :hihi:

I bet you were speechless, in a nice way, and probably a bit home sick. I moved from Grenoside to Newcastle a few years ago. I’m always ready to visit friends who live in Hillsborough, which I do frequently.

When I read posts from expats I get a bit jealous, I think you you are all brave to try and make a better life in a new country, and I suspect most of you are on your own at first, leaving behind the support of friends and family.