How many Expats would move back to Sheffield

p.s.In my opinion CapeTown is the most beautiful harbour.

Hi Nyala. Seems to be a fair amount of bias/prejudice on the subject of "heaven"; so here's a quote for you written by Dr. John White, surgeon on 1st Fleet, on way to New Sth Wales.It was Oct 1787; the fleet had been at sea since leaving Portsmouth on 13 May 1787. They arrived in Cape Town via Teneriffe &Rio de Janeiro. John White climbed Table Mountain and observed ... "with 23 ships at anchor in the bay, all which appeared directly underneath us, the town was a sight beautiful and pleasing beyond description...."

Cape Town provided many supplies needed by the 1st Fleet enabling them to reach Sydney so in way was parly responsible for its' establishment.

[Thanks for the pic Hillsboro,]

It's not a natural harbour like Sydney is it nyala ? it's more a working port like Port Botany, although the countryside is nice.

Cape Town does have a natural harbour (Table Bay) though it doesn't extend inwards to the same extent as two other beautiful harbours - Sydney and San Francisco. I've lived in Cape Town, spent a month in San Francisco and lived within a wombat's stroll of Sydney. In my opinion San Francisco has the most beautiful harbour, Cape Town the friendliest people and Sydney the best overall climate - though all three cities score highly on each attribute.

As I wrote in a previous post, it all depends on what you want. I don't know what it's like in Sydney this morning/evening, but on Tuesday I was on the phone to my former neighbour in the Cape Town suburb of Rondebosch and it's dull, rainy and windy there. I look out of my window this morning to see the Wolds basking in June sunshine and lapwings wheeling in the air over the field adjoining our bungalow. After a lifetime on the move, North Lincs. will do me fine, thank you, and I am within easy reach of family and friends in Sheffield (which has changed a lot since http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j134/skippy_63/PetreSt.jpg, as skippy must know).

Of course, there is beauty everywhere for those who want to appreciate it. In Australia for example a stiff climb up Tasmania's Cradle Mountain, or a float-plane trip from Strahan is rewarded with fantastic views. Nearer to Sydney, another fine view can be had across the Blue Mountains from Katoomba, with the Three Sisters in the foreground.

By the way, Katoomba's beautifully-kept railway station is sufficiently like a pre-Beeching branch line station in, say, rural Derbyshire to make an exiled Englishman homesick - right down to the the wooden signalbox, the hanging baskets and the friendly station staff. I almost expected to see Thomas the Tank Engine and the Fat Controller...

http://community.iexplore.com/photos/journal_photos/Katoomba.jpg.jpg

sorry not on your nellie not now not ever no way,may I in fact humbly decline

Notrom Your comments about blackpool and sheffield I wholeheartedly agree with you. I would give anything to move from blackpool back to sheffield.

I went to Blackpool last year for the first time since 1966. It was almost heartbreaking to see how it has declined. I can't comment on what it's like as a place to live, but (along with almost every other seaside resort) it has gone downhill in relation to what it used to be. The reason, of course, is the fact that it is just as cheap now for an English holidaymaker to fly in an hour or two to any of the beautiful resorts in a dozen Mediterranean countries (something which you can't do from Oz, for example; though most Aussies do have nice beaches and sunny weather - albeit without the chance of experiencing countries with different cultures - nearer home).

I went to Blackpool last year for the first time since 1966. It was almost heartbreaking to see how it has declined. I can't comment on what it's like as a place to live, but (along with almost every other seaside resort) it has gone downhill in relation to what it used to be. The reason, of course, is the fact that it is just as cheap now for an English holidaymaker to fly in an hour or two to any of the beautiful resorts in a dozen Mediterranean countries (something which you can't do from Oz, for example; though most Aussies do have nice beaches and sunny weather - albeit without the chance of experiencing countries with different cultures - nearer home).

taking in to account all the places you seem to have been (IV BEEN EVERYWHERE SEEMS TO BE HILLSBRO MOTTO)we never see any photos may be we cant afford a camera

We flew into Manchester after 37 yrs and having time to kill my wife said we HAVE to go to Blackpool,what a horror city,and although we stayed at St Annes(nice quiet little village) I never left the bar for 4 days & crept away at 4 sunday morning my nerves all shot from visiting Arrh yuck Blackpool never again:gag::gag:

Well, sydneyoss, I haven’t any photos of Blackpool in 2007 (it wasn’t exactly photogenic) but if your post #67 expressed "doubting Thomas" sentiments, then I won’t rise to the bait, but I could make the observation that a retired banker ought to be able to afford a camera.

Here is a photo of Mr & Mrs hillsbro near Cape Town. http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Blouwbergstrandbeach.jpg

As for where hillsbro’s been - below is a list of countries (in order of visiting - I happen to have the Word file on my hard drive). The actual number of countries visited is a moot point, as some countries disappear (such as East Germany) and others are born (such as Uzbekistan and Croatia). But I just enjoy travelling, whether it be for business or pleasure, and I think that people who have only ever lived in one country miss out on something. All the same I came back to Blighty...

France

Belgium

West Germany

Austria

U.S.A.

Canada

Ireland

Switzerland

Italy

Vatican City

Malta

Netherlands

Iceland

U.S.S.R. (Russia, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan,

Azerbaijan, Georgia, Belarus, Ukraine)

Mexico

Morocco

Sweden

Greece

Turkey

East Germany

Israel

Hungary

Dubai

Egypt

Bahrain

Hong Kong

China

Finland

Yugoslavia (Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro)

Lithuania

Latvia

Thailand

Australia

New Zealand

Singapore

Liechtenstein

Luxembourg

Slovakia

Czech Republic

Estonia

South Africa

Portugal (Madeira)

Denmark

Botswana

Namibia

Lesotho

Spain

Andorra

The reason, of course, is the fact that it is just as cheap now for an English holidaymaker to fly in an hour or two to any of the beautiful resorts in a dozen Mediterranean countries, (something which you can't do from Oz.

All I can say to that hillsbro, is thank goodness, who would want to spend a few weeks in a resort, I for one have paradise on the doorstep, and it's free,

I suppose it's called contentment, I never tire of the area in which I live.

Unfortunately, there are not many people that can say that, so I think I have been blessed.