How many Expats would move back to Sheffield

If you mean by ex pats someone who is still in England but not in Sheffield then I wouldnt mind moving back there.

Trouble is, the OH hates the place so it looks as if Im here for the duration.

I'm told Mr Jaberwocky used to work in the quarries behind our street, Binsted and Avisford Rds. The quarry was there for as long as I can remember. The field above the quarry had a gate entrance in Binsted Road and as kinder we used to play in there and collect buttercups, hold them under our chins to see "if we liked butter". I believe this is now a housing estate now. All the prefabs where my teenage friends lived, Christine Goddard, Cherith Dallyn, Janet and Stephanie Arliss, Terry Morton, Malcolm Wood, Brian Clark, have all be taken away. Does Mr J remember the Claytons Fish shop at the beginning of Avisford Rd. Mrs Clayton was a colourful character who used to tell some gory story about the cellar. Some of our Sheffield stories are straight out of Halloween. Remember when

Quatermass" first came out on the TV in the Fifties. I was living in Binsted Road then. I actually hid under the table I was so scared. But most of Sheffield I remember is the friends and family. This has changed but the history can never change.

I Left Sheffield In 1965 To Come To Canada, Although My Life And Family Is In Canada, I Manage To Visit Relatives Over Home As Often As Possible, Always A Yorkshire Lass At Heart.

I Left Sheffield In 1965 To Come To Canada, Although My Life And Family Is In Canada, I Manage To Visit Relatives Over Home As Often As Possible, Always A Yorkshire Lass At Heart.

Welcome to the forum Janet, you wont regret joining.

Sandy my feelings match Janet Alexa exactly word for word :)

Anyone of the Canadians from Winnipeg? I discovered something interesting recently about Canada. My Sheffield school house was named after a nurse "Edith Cavell". There's a mountain in Canada called Edith Cavell!

I left Sheffield in 1963. Although I have visited there a few times I only stayed there 10days on my last trip 3 years ago.I love Sheffield and always will. I enjoy reading still all the history of Sheffield which didn't seem to interest me when I lived there. The little booklets "Manor Memories" is a great one to read but Malcom Mercers "Portrait of the Manor in the 30s" is a great book. I relive all my childhood times when I read them. We were never very well off but always a Happy family and these childhood memories stay with you for ever. so does the way in which we all lived there. Now times have changed no matter where you live its all a different ball game now due to the lifestyles we live in. Most countrys have there problems but I always think living in Sheffield all my childhood years I wouldn't have it any other way, Yes its always going to be My home and the Sheffield folk I meet are still tops..

Vera.

We moved from Sheffield 17 years ago now,We are lucky here and have an amazing lifestyle,big house, 6 acre's of beautiful gardens and great staff to look after us.As you get older you realise that it all means less and less.Truly THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME.

If I didn't get my 2 fixes of Sheffield a year,I'd be back!

I like most will always be proud of been from Sheffield, and my heart still makes me defend it, but truth be known I would only move back if I was able to afford to live on the outer edges, I still come back to Sheffield once a month to visit Family. My mum who now lives on Westfield and has done for 31years has seen such a big decline in the estate, on the road I grew up on only two remain and all give the same answer as to why the where moving was because of how bad an area it has become ……just to finish i have lived in Liverpool for 19 years now and i have never had my car stolen ……parked outside my mums house 3 stolen and once from Darnell. I know this wont please most if any, but the most it will upset is the people who have never left the city, because I would have been one of those 19 years ago.

I went back the other week and drove from Meadowhead through Woodseats, Heeley down Queens Road to the Station. After that I had seen enough. I shot back onto the M1 as I hardly recognised anywhere.

Sad really. :(

It's interesting to note the many aspects/views of Sheffield "Now" compared to "THEN". It is understandable the architecture of Sheffield town has changed. As a teenager I travelled to school via two buses from Wadsley Bridge to Abbeydale. Part of that journey passed the many bomb sites of the mid fifties along The Moor awaiting rebuilding.

Sheffield folks were still adjusting to the many changes activated by WWII. The new generation of Sheffield has a different approach to life. I isn't post war Sheffield anymore it's the new millenium Sheffield. The latest "designer drugs" are taking their toll everywhere around including Sheffield. The Sheffield library has some excellent paperbacks sold as souvenirs.

The Sheffield traffic cameras keep us up to date. If you're an ex pat with a yen to see what's happening it's worth logging in to the website. Some excellent pics of Sheffield.

The Sheffield traffic cameras keep us up to date. If you're an ex pat with a yen to see what's happening it's worth logging in to the website. Some excellent pics of Sheffield.

Hi Sydney.

Here is a link for anyone who can't be bothered to search, or doesn't know where to look... CLICKY

I hope to move to the US one day, but until then I shouldn't be posting in this :hihi: