Page Hall Shops - History

16 hours ago, lakerman said:

Hi Paul, Did you have the nickname of Carrots? I remember someone from that address who I believe emigrated to Canada. This could have been your father? My name is Rod Sockett.

Hi Lakerman Spot on my nickname was Carrots probably because of my ginger hair.My father Peter emigrated to Canada but he used to be on the committee at Firth Park Club.He would sit in his little box and introduce the acts.Where did you live?

9 hours ago, Idsworth456 said:

Hi Lakerman Spot on my nickname was Carrots probably because of my ginger hair.My father Peter emigrated to Canada but he used to be on the committee at Firth Park Club.He would sit in his little box and introduce the acts.Where did you live?

Hi Paul, I lived on Barnsley Road , just round the corner from Idsworth road. Before I was married I lived on Bolsover Road. My wife lived on Idsworth Road at no 57. She tells me that her mum and dad bought that house from your grandmother who then bought a house at the bottom of Idsworth Road. I remember your dad being on the committee at the club. If my memory serves me right I remember you playing football for British Rail on Sunday mornings. The home games were played at Orgreave. I also played the odd game for them. Dennis Goodison was responsible for me playing for them as I believe he also got you to play.  as far as I know,  none of us worked for British Rail but nobody cared. I still see Dennis, he lives quite near to me at Sheffield Lane Top. 

Did there used to be a fruit and veg shop with a stall outside when we went to firth park library we helped ourselves to some fruit on the way up 

Did there used to be a fruit and veg shop with a stall outside when we went to firth park library we helped ourselves to some fruit on the way up 

12 hours ago, Bowls said:

I don't remember it in 50's or 60's

The fruit shop was there in the 50s and 60s as I left Owler Lane Sec as I left in 62 was there a wash house next door 

On 24/04/2021 at 15:54, lakerman said:

Hi Paul, I lived on Barnsley Road , just round the corner from Idsworth road. Before I was married I lived on Bolsover Road. My wife lived on Idsworth Road at no 57. She tells me that her mum and dad bought that house from your grandmother who then bought a house at the bottom of Idsworth Road. I remember your dad being on the committee at the club. If my memory serves me right I remember you playing football for British Rail on Sunday mornings. The home games were played at Orgreave. I also played the odd game for them. Dennis Goodison was responsible for me playing for them as I believe he also got you to play.  as far as I know,  none of us worked for British Rail but nobody cared. I still see Dennis, he lives quite near to me at Sheffield Lane Top. 

Hi Lakerman don't remember my grandparents having another house on Idsworth Road only no.4 but may have been before my time.You have a great memory as I do remember playing for British  Rail.Them were the days and you were right never worked for them.Do you still work and live locally.I have been down in Southend-on-Sea  Essex for 35 years working as a Night shift manager in factory for Olympus Camera's in there medical components division.Do you remember a girl called Lesley Lawton who lived on Idsworth Road she was my first girlfriend. 

2 hours ago, Idsworth456 said:

Hi Lakerman don't remember my grandparents having another house on Idsworth Road only no.4 but may have been before my time.You have a great memory as I do remember playing for British  Rail.Them were the days and you were right never worked for them.Do you still work and live locally.I have been down in Southend-on-Sea  Essex for 35 years working as a Night shift manager in factory for Olympus Camera's in there medical components division.Do you remember a girl called Lesley Lawton who lived on Idsworth Road she was my first girlfriend. 

Hi Paul, My wife's parents bought the house(57) in the early sixties  she says she is certain it was a mrs berry who previously owned the house  but wanted to move to the bottom of Idsworth road for some reason or other. I can't remember Lesley Lawton, and neither can my wife. We now live at Sheffield Lane Top where we have been since 1986. I am quite a bit older than you .I am actually 74 today. You would not believe what Page Hall is like today. It's so run down. There is a large contingent of immigrants (Roma  gypsies) who now live in the area and they have caused unbelievable problems in the area after serious conflict over the past couple of years. This may sound very racist but i assure you it's the truth. People who have lived in the area for decades want to leave but they can't sell their houses.  Nobody wants to live there. If anyone does they could pick up a house for next to nothing. The streets are full of rubbish, fly tipping is all too common and rats are everywhere. you would die if you ever came back and saw what it's like. I don't know if you remember the names of the streets around Page Hall but worst ones are Willoughby Street, Robey Street, Rushby Street, Owler Lane, Popple Street and the bottom end of Hinde House Lane.  A lot of the houses on Idsworth Road are owned by people who have lived there but now moved away and they rent the houses out or the houses have been bought by housing associations. Some of the tennants in these houses are  not  what you might call nice neighbours (drug addicts and dodgy dealers) so it's not nice and friendly like it was when you lived there. So it's an area I'm glad I don't have go into these days. It's been nice chatting Paul , please feel free to contact me if you wish to know about the old days etc.

Take care

Rod.

34 minutes ago, lakerman said:

Hi Paul, My wife's parents bought the house(57) in the early sixties  she says she is certain it was a mrs berry who previously owned the house  but wanted to move to the bottom of Idsworth road for some reason or other. I can't remember Lesley Lawton, and neither can my wife. We now live at Sheffield Lane Top where we have been since 1986. I am quite a bit older than you .I am actually 74 today. You would not believe what Page Hall is like today. It's so run down. There is a large contingent of immigrants (Roma  gypsies) who now live in the area and they have caused unbelievable problems in the area after serious conflict over the past couple of years. This may sound very racist but i assure you it's the truth. People who have lived in the area for decades want to leave but they can't sell their houses.  Nobody wants to live there. If anyone does they could pick up a house for next to nothing. The streets are full of rubbish, fly tipping is all too common and rats are everywhere. you would die if you ever came back and saw what it's like. I don't know if you remember the names of the streets around Page Hall but worst ones are Willoughby Street, Robey Street, Rushby Street, Owler Lane, Popple Street and the bottom end of Hinde House Lane.  A lot of the houses on Idsworth Road are owned by people who have lived there but now moved away and they rent the houses out or the houses have been bought by housing associations. Some of the tennants in these houses are  not  what you might call nice neighbours (drug addicts and dodgy dealers) so it's not nice and friendly like it was when you lived there. So it's an area I'm glad I don't have go into these days. It's been nice chatting Paul , please feel free to contact me if you wish to know about the old days etc.

Take care

Rod.

Happy birthday Rod, and a very true post.

4 hours ago, Idsworth456 said:

Was Lesley Lawton Julie Lawton's sister.  Julie lived at about no. 26/28 Idsworth Road.  Her Dad was a Postman and he died when Julie was young.  Julie was my best friend at Hucklow school and we both played clarinet in Mr Bradley's orchestra.

Edited by jane2008

On 26/04/2021 at 21:51, lakerman said:

Take care

Rod.

Happy belated birthday Rod, are you keeping well

See there's been another bad incident at page Hall....19 year old shot time to sort the area out once and for all !