Page Hall Shops - History

Sure it merges into windmill lane then junction at car spares into bellhouse opposite the old dairy ?

Hinde House Lane becomes Windmill Lane at the junction with Firth Park Avenue.

Sure it merges into windmill lane then junction at car spares into bellhouse opposite the old dairy ?

That car spares shop used to be a little bakery when I was a kid and sold perfect miniature Hovis loaves for about 3 farthings.

Yes you are correct, the windmill lane bit always gets forgotten by me. :o

That car spares shop used to be a little bakery when I was a kid and sold perfect miniature Hovis loaves for about 3 farthings.

Farthings I thought I was getting on a bit lol :hihi:

---------- Post added 30-08-2017 at 23:05 ----------

Farthings I thought I was getting on a bit lol :hihi:

Sheffield star page 7 page hall now classed as a landfill site so much fly tipping plagued by rats the council says it will get worse due to cuts in cleansing services page hall is now a forgotten slum area by sounds of it !

Farthings I thought I was getting on a bit lol

By the 1950s bus conductors were refusing to accept farthing coins and their value was so small that their usefulness was felt to be over. None were minted after 1956 and they were not legal tender after 1960. The new penny introduced in 1971 is about the same size as a farthing (20 millimetres in diameter), but such has been the fall in the value of money that its purchasing power is less than 50 per cent of what the farthing’s was on its final day.

http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish/farthings-last-day

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

By the 1950s bus conductors were refusing to accept farthing coins and their value was so small that their usefulness was felt to be over. None were minted after 1956 and they were not legal tender after 1960. The new penny introduced in 1971 is about the same size as a farthing (20 millimetres in diameter), but such has been the fall in the value of money that its purchasing power is less than 50 per cent of what the farthing’s was on its final day.

http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish/farthings-last-day

Interesting but a million miles away from page hall it breaks my heart to see a once clean and proud neighbour hood brought to its knees so neglected and torn apart by the powers that run this country !

It was definitley Brian Somebody. He used to open at 5:00 am to catch the morning shift-workers on their way to work.

One shop not mentioned was the beer-off on the corner of Barretta street. Kept by an ex RAF officer, whose name I can't recall, and sold draught ale from a hand pump.

And yes the pork butcher's shop was Kramers, perhaps Friedrich's shop was the one at the bottom of Bellhouse. I believe the other butcher's shop at PH was Ashton's which later became Siddall's green-grocers ?

It was Brian Barstow a big headed <removed> if my memories serve me well :hihi. Hows dogsneck these days ???

It was Brian Barstow a big headed <removed> if my memories serve me well :hihi. Hows dogsneck these days ???

Im fine me old pal, Brian Barstow rings a bell, which shop did he have ?

Im fine me old pal, Brian Barstow rings a bell, which shop did he have ?

Underwoods before underwood got it lol nice to hear from ya my old mate :thumbsup:

is anyone still in touch with the old shopkeepers in Page hall from the 70's?

Jack Asher, Brian Underwood, Kennington, Siddall, Bill Beever, Sally Anne, Nortcliffe (Popes), Patnick?

1 hour ago, original peanut said:

is anyone still in touch with the old shopkeepers in Page hall from the 70's?

Jack Asher, Brian Underwood, Kennington, Siddall, Bill Beever, Sally Anne, Nortcliffe (Popes), Patnick?

Bet most of em are dead now 🤔