Page Hall Shops - History

I lived 97, Hinde House Lane from 1944 - 1968 & mum & dad lived there into 1990's. Real shame what its like now.

My grandparents lived on Hinde House Lane for about the same length of time around 1944 to 68 having lived before on Chambers Lane, Page Hall Rd, Ecclesfeild, a fish and chip shop on Ellerton Rd (bombed out of that one) and finally settling on Hinde House. They lived on the left hand side looking up in the first entry after the big corner store that had big windows on Page Hall and Hinde House. As I recall Hinde House Lane got Ritzier the higher up you went. fleetwood

My grandparents lived on Hinde House Lane for about the same length of time around 1944 to 68 having lived before on Chambers Lane, Page Hall Rd, Ecclesfeild, a fish and chip shop on Ellerton Rd (bombed out of that one) and finally settling on Hinde House. They lived on the left hand side looking up in the first entry after the big corner store that had big windows on Page Hall and Hinde House. As I recall Hinde House Lane got Ritzier the higher up you went. fleetwood

Not sure whether it was Ritzier ! On the left from Little Bolsover up to the park they were one long terrace with a gennill between every 2 houses. All had outside toilets . Our back boiler blew up in 1956 demolishing wall between back room & kitchen. We got an inside toilet out of the insurance work. Thankfully when the explosion occurred dad was defrosting the outside loo otherwise he would probably been killed. In the 1980's during a neighbourhood renewal scheme it was discovered that there were no loft partitions between any of the houses so a burglar could walk all down the terrace in the lofts!

Not sure whether it was Ritzier ! On the left from Little Bolsover up to the park they were one long terrace with a gennill between every 2 houses. All had outside toilets . Our back boiler blew up in 1956 demolishing wall between back room & kitchen. We got an inside toilet out of the insurance work. Thankfully when the explosion occurred dad was defrosting the outside loo otherwise he would probably been killed. In the 1980's during a neighbourhood renewal scheme it was discovered that there were no loft partitions between any of the houses so a burglar could walk all down the terrace in the lofts!

That happened alot around Grimesthorpe but dont think many of us had owt worth pinching ! Cheers dogsneck realised my mistake now my old pal :hihi::hihi:

Hi johnpm - I was probably thinking of the righthand side further up Hinde House, as I recall there seemed to be some nice semi's. fleetwood

Hi johnpm - I was probably thinking of the righthand side further up Hinde House, as I recall there seemed to be some nice semi's. fleetwood

Some loverly houses up there across from woods backed onto wincobank hill

Some loverly houses up there across from woods backed onto wincobank hill

Thanks gaz 786 - The grey matter has not evaporated altogether. fleetwood

Thanks gaz 786 - The grey matter has not evaporated altogether. fleetwood

Gtl can recall scrumping the best apple trees up there fleetwood sometimes got caught and recieved a warm lug hole none of that these days :huh:

Hi Fleetwood, Yes the houses on the right side of HHL as you went up were very nice semis. The even had TV's ! As a child I went across the road to watch children's tv on their TV as we didn't have one!

John

Just gone through flower estate along windmill lane and down hinde house looked quite respectable until i got to etop of wensley estate got some menacing looks off locals not a nice place I have to say its a million miles from how it was in the 70's

Thanks gaz 786 & johnpm - I sort of remember Hinde House Lane winding it's way and following Firth Park Rd if you can call it that and eventually coming out at Bellhouse Rd. Or am I completely off track? fleetwood

Thanks gaz 786 & johnpm - I sort of remember Hinde House Lane winding it's way and following Firth Park Rd if you can call it that and eventually coming out at Bellhouse Rd. Or am I completely off track? fleetwood

Yes you are correct, HHL winds at the top end and does indeed come out at Bellhouse road.

Yes you are correct, HHL winds at the top end and does indeed come out at Bellhouse road.

Sure it merges into windmill lane then junction at car spares into bellhouse opposite the old dairy ?