Page Hall Shops - History

Oh my god!! This is like re-living my childhood. Only just found this forum -Born on Firth park Road in 1960 - but nearer to the Page Hall end so the shops there were our local shops. The corner chemist - before that, when I was very young - remember buying bread there. I remember Bill Beever's and Siddalls - occasionally used to get ham salad butties as a treat - had worms in the lettuce one day so didn't go in again. Was a Saturday girl at Underwoods newsagents for a while - when I was about 14 - worked with Veronica. Can't remember her last name. She lived on Idsworth Road, just opposite the club - used to babysit for her. Anyone remember her? I remember Buywise (shopping list always began "two tins of beans; two tins of peas ......................"), and Maxted's!! Used to get spuds - served by a small lady with dyed orange red hair and glasses - bit of a stoop..... and the launderette - when mum's washer packed in or she'd had enough used to go in there with my big sister Kay Coleman. Used to love Patnick's junk shop - bought books and all sorts there. Used to go to Hucklow Road - anyone else go there - from about '64 to '71? Mr Bradley was the headmaster - we had a brilliant orchestra. I used to play the double bass 'cos I was taller than everyone else. My older brother Peter still lives in the house we were born in - but yes, when i go back - nothing is the same. But then - I'm not either.... oh, and the boating lake - used to go 'swimming' in there when i was really young - oh the memories come flooding back - it was quite a nice place to live then - been in North Wales now longer than i lived in Sheffield but I'll always be a Yorkshire girl ..................

Hi Ann, I think I remember your sister Kay Coleman, certainly remember the name. I lived on Bolsover Road at the bottom end near Page Hall shops and went to Hucklow Road from 1960 - 66. I also played in Mr Bradley's orchestra (trumpet) about 3rd trumpet I think as I wasn't very good! Frank Egarr was the name then. I only got angry later! I remember Kay as being tall as well, possibly with medium long brown hair in a pony tail? Or am I dreaming???!!!

Edited by Frankie Rage

Hi Ann, I think I remember your sister Kay Coleman, certainly remember the name. I lived on Bolsover Road at the bottom end near Page Hall shops and went to Hucklow Road from 1960 - 66. I also played in Mr Bradley's orchestra (trumpet) about 3rd trumpet I think as I wasn't very good! Frank Egarr was the name then. I only got angry later! I remember Kay as being tall as well, possibly with medium long brown hair in a pony tail? Or am I dreaming???!!!

Hello Frankie - Bloomin eck you've got a good memory! Yes, my sis used to play a strange little instrument called a Celeste (I think) like a tiny piano - she's four maybe five years older than me - you describe her well - we're all tall. I used to love being in that orchestra - mainly happy memories from Hucklow - and then when i was shipped off to Earl marshal, where there was no music and open plan classes - uugghh !!! Horrible. Kay was more fortunate - went to High Storrs for a short while. So no - you're not dreaming - I'm struggling to remember many names from that era - it's little incidents I remember more - strange memories, and you wonder why they stayed with you for nearly forty years .........

Hi Ann,

I think then I am probably about the same age as your Kay. She may have been in my class at Hucklow Road or more likely one year above/below me? You're right about what sticks in the memory and what doesn't. I went to Firth Grammar (as it was then) after Hucklow Road but I was no fan of school, not Hucklow nor Firth Park so not so happy days for me!

Other members of the orchestra at Hucklow in my time were John Emsley and Andrew Caban who both played trumpet or cornet. Can't really remember any other of the musicians but there was caretaker Mr Owen who taught us boys (and girls?) brass instruments. Teachers I remember: Miss Clarke, Mr Sysk, Mr Howe, Miss Carding-Wells.. and Head Mr Bradley, of course.

Other kids I recall at Hucklow who might have been friends of Kay were: Robert Lowe, Stephen Pacey, Stephen Wells, David Brown, Margaret Nunn, Steven Kelsey, Elaine Dickens, Nigel French, Barry Heywood, Paul Scott, Walter Humphries, Philip Bullivant, Susan Royston, Richard Fooks, Carol Morton, Carol Kingston, Susan Bottom, Elizabeth Gregory, Michael Gill, Linda Nolan, ... phew my memory is struggling now!

Don't really remember any kids on Firth Park Road itself, my pals were more up on Hinde House Lane in the late 1950's/early 1960's and then up on Vickers Road and Firth Park after that.

Like you I have now lived more years outside Sheffield than in it! But can't forget it!

Edited by Frankie Rage

Hi Anne, i can remember your family, didnt you live next door to the knights. I used to drink in the cannon and st cuthberts with your Peter and Clive. i lived on the other side of FP road from you but what a great area it was at that time

Hi - Oh did you live in the semis? I used to think they were 'posh' - I remember the Baines - Susan and her mum Milly - can't remember the dad's name I'm afraid. Yes, we lived next door to the Knights - to be honest I've only got good memories of growing up on that road - I mean it was a busy road then traffic wise, but we had the park and the 'boating lake' and the woods - used to love playing in the woods - I remember when it would be full of bluebells - and I know someone else has mentioned going down the Donkey Hill (never knew why it was called that) on big, opened out cardboard boxes - sometimes there'd be loads of you on the one piece and you'd go flying - used to play havoc with my hay fever - and the bit of a stream at the bottom - we'd make a den on the other side - it's true that kids can't/won't do these things today...... is the park still the same - I often go back to visit my mum but she's in Deepcar now so don't often get back to Firth Park. Can I ask your name? I'll mention you to Peter and Clive if you don't mind. Yes - it wasn't a bad area to grow up in - or maybe age dims the memory ..........:roll

Just bumped into Brian Underwood in Grenoside. He is 80 now. Can't believe I delivered papers for him 28 years ago. Also worked in the sparshop for Friedel from 85 til 88. In between Ashers butchers and the cafe on the corner of little Bolsover. Time flies!

I delivered papers for Brian around 1968 for sixteen bob a week! Time does fly, that was 43 years ago! Before he was at Page Hall he had a smaller shop at the bottom of Ellerton Road (about 2 streets away). I never knew the cafe, I left Sheffield in 1980 so it must have opened after that. All good, all gone! :D

Hi - Oh did you live in the semis? I used to think they were 'posh' - I remember the Baines - Susan and her mum Milly - can't remember the dad's name I'm afraid. Yes, we lived next door to the Knights - to be honest I've only got good memories of growing up on that road - I mean it was a busy road then traffic wise, but we had the park and the 'boating lake' and the woods - used to love playing in the woods - I remember when it would be full of bluebells - and I know someone else has mentioned going down the Donkey Hill (never knew why it was called that) on big, opened out cardboard boxes - sometimes there'd be loads of you on the one piece and you'd go flying - used to play havoc with my hay fever - and the bit of a stream at the bottom - we'd make a den on the other side - it's true that kids can't/won't do these things today...... is the park still the same - I often go back to visit my mum but she's in Deepcar now so don't often get back to Firth Park. Can I ask your name? I'll mention you to Peter and Clive if you don't mind. Yes - it wasn't a bad area to grow up in - or maybe age dims the memory ..........:roll

Tony knight died a few years ago...