Page Hall Shops - History

On 19/02/2019 at 14:27, original peanut said:

is anyone still in touch with the old shopkeepers in Page hall from the 70's?

Jack Asher, Brian Underwood, Kennington, Siddall, Bill Beever, Sally Anne, Nortcliffe (Popes), Patnick?

The popes owners son Martin I think his name is runs Sheffield sports salvage on Catley road, darnal just off Greenland road.

I grew up at Page Hall and seem to remember Popes being on the corner of Firth park Road and Bolsover Road East (Little Bolsover) before moving round the corner.

I have recently joined this forum and remember most of the shops named.I lived at no.4 Idsworth Road my name is Paul Berry.Our house was beside Stan Caves shop.Would be nice to get in touch with anyone who remembers me.My family emigrated to Canada with .you younger brothers but I remained here.I now live in Southend-on-Sea. Essex.

Thank you been left Sheffield about 40 years now but never forget my roots.Fond memories of Hucklow Road school and orchestra.Is Workingmans club still in Idsworth Road.Like to here from anyone who may remember my family especially The Cottages family who lived next door I think Sandra was there daughter but not sure.Also remember a Winston who lived on Idsworth plus a girl i think her name was Julia not sure she had blond hair and a sister i think Katy.

On 21/04/2021 at 06:17, Idsworth456 said:

I have recently joined this forum and remember most of the shops named.I lived at no.4 Idsworth Road my name is Paul Berry.Our house was beside Stan Caves shop.Would be nice to get in touch with anyone who remembers me.My family emigrated to Canada with .you younger brothers but I remained here.I now live in Southend-on-Sea. Essex.

Hi, my aunt and uncle owned that shop back in the late '40's and early '50's before Stan Cave . It was they who named it McGreggors, I think. And coincidentally, John Cave, Stan's son, worked for me for  6 years back in the late '70's and early '80's and we had kept in touch until I moved abroad 16 years ago.

8 hours ago, stevew said:

Hi, my aunt and uncle owned that shop back in the late '40's and early '50's before Stan Cave . It was they who named it McGreggors, I think. And coincidentally, John Cave, Stan's son, worked for me for  6 years back in the late '70's and early '80's and we had kept in touch until I moved abroad 16 years ago.

Hi Stevew , were your Aunt and Uncle called Flo and Tom ?

On 21/04/2021 at 05:17, Idsworth456 said:

Hi Paul, Did you have the nickname of Carrots? I remember someone from that address who I believe emigrated to Canada. This could have been your father? My name is Rod Sockett.

Firth Park W.M.C. Idsworth road is still going or it was before Covid struck. They were struggling to keep afloat but just managing to do so , apparently the club will open again in May. I am a life/free member of the club and I joined in 1965.

I played football with a Jeff sockett in the sixties he was a goalkeeper and a good one at that 

4 hours ago, lakerman said:

Firth Park W.M.C. Idsworth road is still going or it was before Covid struck. They were struggling to keep afloat but just managing to do so , apparently the club will open again in May. I am a life/free member of the club and I joined in 1965.

Do you know Gary Spooner?  I went to school with him and since being old enough to join the club he has been a regular, as was his father.

5 hours ago, kidneystone said:

Do you know Gary Spooner?  I went to school with him and since being old enough to join the club he has been a regular, as was his father.

Yes I know Gary well. We played in the same snooker team for F.P.W.M.C. for a few years. I still see him now and again, he's still the same kind of bloke as he always was. Also see his brother Mick as well. His dad Sam was on the committee for years.