Page Hall Shops - History

My grandparents lived on Hinde House Lane for about the same length of time around 1944 to 68 having lived before on Chambers Lane, Page Hall Rd, Ecclesfeild, a fish and chip shop on Ellerton Rd (bombed out of that one) and finally settling on Hinde House. They lived on the left hand side looking up in the first entry after the big corner store that had big windows on Page Hall and Hinde House. As I recall Hinde House Lane got Ritzier the higher up you went. fleetwood

Not sure whether it was Ritzier ! On the left from Little Bolsover up to the park they were one long terrace with a gennill between every 2 houses. All had outside toilets . Our back boiler blew up in 1956 demolishing wall between back room & kitchen. We got an inside toilet out of the insurance work. Thankfully when the explosion occurred dad was defrosting the outside loo otherwise he would probably been killed. In the 1980's during a neighbourhood renewal scheme it was discovered that there were no loft partitions between any of the houses so a burglar could walk all down the terrace in the lofts!

Hi johnpm - I was probably thinking of the righthand side further up Hinde House, as I recall there seemed to be some nice semi's. fleetwood

Some loverly houses up there across from woods backed onto wincobank hill

Thanks gaz 786 - The grey matter has not evaporated altogether. fleetwood

Hi johnpm - I was probably thinking of the righthand side further up Hinde House, as I recall there seemed to be some nice semi's. fleetwood

Hi Fleetwood, Yes the houses on the right side of HHL as you went up were very nice semis. The even had TV's ! As a child I went across the road to watch children's tv on their TV as we didn't have one!

John

Thanks gaz 786 & johnpm - I sort of remember Hinde House Lane winding it's way and following Firth Park Rd if you can call it that and eventually coming out at Bellhouse Rd. Or am I completely off track? fleetwood

Thanks gaz 786 & johnpm - I sort of remember Hinde House Lane winding it's way and following Firth Park Rd if you can call it that and eventually coming out at Bellhouse Rd. Or am I completely off track? fleetwood

Yes you are correct, HHL winds at the top end and does indeed come out at Bellhouse road.

Sure it merges into windmill lane then junction at car spares into bellhouse opposite the old dairy ?

Hinde House Lane becomes Windmill Lane at the junction with Firth Park Avenue.

Sure it merges into windmill lane then junction at car spares into bellhouse opposite the old dairy ?

That car spares shop used to be a little bakery when I was a kid and sold perfect miniature Hovis loaves for about 3 farthings.

Yes you are correct, the windmill lane bit always gets forgotten by me. :o

Farthings I thought I was getting on a bit lol

By the 1950s bus conductors were refusing to accept farthing coins and their value was so small that their usefulness was felt to be over. None were minted after 1956 and they were not legal tender after 1960. The new penny introduced in 1971 is about the same size as a farthing (20 millimetres in diameter), but such has been the fall in the value of money that its purchasing power is less than 50 per cent of what the farthing’s was on its final day.

http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish/farthings-last-day

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

It was Brian Barstow a big headed <removed> if my memories serve me well :hihi. Hows dogsneck these days ???

Im fine me old pal, Brian Barstow rings a bell, which shop did he have ?

is anyone still in touch with the old shopkeepers in Page hall from the 70's?

Jack Asher, Brian Underwood, Kennington, Siddall, Bill Beever, Sally Anne, Nortcliffe (Popes), Patnick?