Page Hall Shops - History

Hi Bantycock

Yes they were good old days.What is your name?I now live in Essex which is where my work took me nice place right by the sea.Garry & Keith live in Ontario,Canada and I still visit them.Struggling to remember names from way back but do remember Winston and a girl called Lesley Lawton (I think) who lived on Idsworth Road.

It's Gary I was the one who kept the pigeons just off little bolsover Garry should remember me lol I was always with lloyde siddall from the fruit shop !

I was around there 1978/82.

The garage on Little Bolsover was run by Mr Taylor, his son Mick and daugher. Next to that was the photographers then Silhouette - the sauna -it burnt down taking the photographers with it.

I still have an ironing board I bought in Popes opposite launderette! I remember one of their sons opening the 'new' shop corner of Little Bolsover and FP Rd. I got a quilt in there.

At the launderette were 2 older ladies - one was Evelyn and she lived in Popple St. Maybe no 77.

Does anyone remember the small convenience store between the bike shop and Little Bolsover? It was run by a guy who had 2 very elderly sisters working there an I think they lived over the shop.

One of them told me a really strange tail that on opposite corner of L Bolsover/FP Rd lived a lady who was the sister of Christie the London murderer. Apparently her husband had topped himself in one of the buildings on Little Bolsover (she owned the buildings). Could you make that up? Anyone heard that story?

I remember a charity collection box on the counter of that shop was for The Society for Distressed Gentle -folk - I kid you not.

Last time I went back was in 1988/89 it was looking a bit sad then but recent pics are grim. Saw a bit featuring PH on TV last night - one those benefits programmes.

Hi Bantycock

Yes they were good old days.What is your name?I now live in Essex which is where my work took me nice place right by the sea.Garry & Keith live in Ontario,Canada and I still visit them.Struggling to remember names from way back but do remember Winston and a girl called Lesley Lawton (I think) who lived on Idsworth Road.

I went to school and was best mates with Julie Lawton who lived on Idsworth Road. She had an older sister but can't remember her name. Julie's Dad was a Postman who sadly died when we were in junior school

When the old lady died lots of paperwork relating to Christie was found in her house on Hinde house lane think it was her brother a Scottish family rented the house on the corner their name was miller I was friends with them

Mr Google says Christie married Ethel Simpson of Sheffield in Halifax. He went on to murder 8 women.

So the lady in the corner house must have been sister or sister in law to Ethel.

Allegedly the husband of corner house lady somehow killed himself upstairs in the building that later was Silhouette. According to the shop ladies he fell through a window at the front of the building leaving blood all over the brickwork. That part was boarded over when I was in the area - after the fire the lot had gone so we can't follow it up now.

When I drove past in '88 the corner house was a wreck, broken windows with filthy nets hanging out. The fire site had some lads on it messing with a motorcycle.

Mr Google says Christie married Ethel Simpson of Sheffield in Halifax. He went on to murder 8 women.

So the lady in the corner house must have been sister or sister in law to Ethel.

Allegedly the husband of corner house lady somehow killed himself upstairs in the building that later was Silhouette. According to the shop ladies he fell through a window at the front of the building leaving blood all over the brickwork. That part was boarded over when I was in the area - after the fire the lot had gone so we can't follow it up now.

When I drove past in '88 the corner house was a wreck, broken windows with filthy nets hanging out. The fire site had some lads on it messing with a motorcycle.

I think the lady was called Mrs birkles or something like that the fire site was a lawnmower repair workshop poodle parlour and clothes shop heard it ended up as a brothel lol run by a Dolly Mansell well after I left the area !

Edited by bantycock
xxx

I think the lady was called Mrs birkles or something like that the fire site was a lawnmower repair workshop poodle parlour and clothes shop heard it ended up as a brothel lol run by a Dolly Mansell well after I left the area !

Was this after the fire? The sauna was run by a guy called David Beckett who used to own that ham and cheese shop in the Fiesta complex and none of the girls there were call Dolly Mansell! - where are you getting this info from Bantycock? Not a punter then?

Have you got reference for that please or do you know what date it was from ? - I'd like to read it.

Yeah I do know a lot - I was there.

There's been a few TV stars from different parts of Sheffield. Page Hall gave us CCTV stars! :hihi:

-------------

Enjoyed all 4 series of Page Hall on TV, sorry not much dancing

with Roma's i was looking forward to that. :hihi:

-------------

Enjoyed all 4 series of Page Hall on TV, sorry not much dancing

with Roma's i was looking forward to that. :hihi:

Recognised a few old faces from my page hall days lol John wwho's daughter runs ball inn spoke his mind good on him lol

Edited by bantycock
spellings

Noticed on the Khans prog i saw the Old Sheffield Arms now a Mini Market

plenty of kids hanging around the doorway.

Noticed on the Khans prog i saw the Old Sheffield Arms now a Mini Market

plenty of kids hanging around the doorway.

Yeah it's owned by an Asian business man so I hear don't know what it sells though don't doubt someone will enlighten us via the forum ? Went in Ball Friday loverly pint of lager :hihi: