Page Hall Shops - History

It's quite possible that your teacher lived at 16 Stubbin Lane. My Dad sold number 16 and we moved to 212 Chippinghouse Road in 1952. I still went to Owler Lane school till I finished my GCE's The people who lived at No.14 ran a private dance school - don't ask me their names - They taught Tap and Ballet dancing.

Arthur It must have been embarrassing for you.Was Dr Pettigrew the one just down from the bank that sat on the junction I remember our Dr was down from there and I think there was a bus stop outside the surgery which took you into town past Burngreave.Interesting to see you reside in Canada as my parents and three brothers who were younger than me also moved to Ontario and still live in St. Catherines I did not go as I was 2 yrs into my apprenticeship but I have not done too badly.That was in 1974 before it all went downhill.

Hi Paul - As far as I can remember the doctor's office was on the left side of the road when you left Firth Park to go to town (same side as the library) but nearer to Firth Park. Interesting that your parents and brothers live in Canada. St Catherines is not far from where we live. My 3 kids were all born in Sheffield but are married to Canadians. I got re-married 25 years ago and my wife is German from Cochem. That's a great place to visit with lots of old pubs like there used to be in Derbyshire. I have a cousin who still lives in Bakewell

The Doctors surgery we went to for Dr Pettigrew etc. is still at the same place now ( or was not many years ago) about 100 yards or so along from Firth Park towards town opposite the park.

I too remember Dr Pettigew, very kindly lady. There was also Dr Ridgeway, also kindness personified. I can remember being ill as if it were yesterday.

The Doctors surgery we went to for Dr Pettigrew etc. is still at the same place now ( or was not many years ago) about 100 yards or so along from Firth Park towards town opposite the park.

Was there a bicycle shop on that stretch. 'Allen's' perhaps ?

Was there a bicycle shop on that stretch. 'Allen's' perhaps ?

I'm sure there was a place called Allens cycles on the end shop where there is now a chemist...

I'm sure there was a place called Allens cycles on the end shop where there is now a chemist...

John Allen's cycles mate last shop on block Richardson diy chemist post office and bike shop !

Sorry, can't seem to delete this post. :huh:

Edited by PeterR

How's life on shops these days not been down for a while ...

---------- Post added 21-12-2015 at 23:23 ----------

Just drove through nothings changed hoards outside betting shop parked on zebra crossing litter all over a right state nowadays ...

---------- Post added 21-12-2015 at 23:23 ----------

Just drove through nothings changed hoards outside betting shop parked on zebra crossing litter all over a right state nowadays ...

That's sad .. I grew up there and so many memories .. so disappointing (to me, anyway..) how some people live and how they treat the place they live in .. but it's their home now so up to them to set the standard they want ..

Edited by Frankie Rage
spelling