Page Hall Shops - History

Dr Pettigrew was our family doctor in the 50's then I remember Dr Maher took over. Don't remember a Ridgeway though.

---------- Post added 02-10-2015 at 21:12 ----------

Ah- we knew the Firvale Creamery as THE Dairy.. the owner called me Jenny wren when I went in to spend my pocket money or for my dads tobacco. Can't remember his name though- he always wore a brown warehouse coat- just like Arkwright!

---------- Post added 02-10-2015 at 21:17 ----------

I remember my mom took me in there for breakfast sometimes- usually scrambled egg on toast! When I got older Dad said I should never go there in the evenings because all the teddy boys hung out there with their flick knives and bicycle chains!!

---------- Post added 02-10-2015 at 21:22 ----------

The Sunbeam was at Firvale next to the new Tesco- became a petrol station when they pulled it down. Sad cos it was a great cinema I lived across the road in one of four cottages which also got demolished a few years later-- even more sad!!!

I remember The Sunbeam and also Cannon Hall Cottages which were opposite. Are these the ones you lived in Snowbird ??

Click on one of these links and then click on 'Zoom image' for a bigger pic :-

The Sunbeam :-

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u07470&pos=1&action=zoom&id=97904

Cannon Hall Cottages, opposite The Sunbeam:-

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s06133&pos=1&action=zoom&id=9468

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s11420&pos=1&action=zoom&id=14419

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s25685&pos=1&action=zoom&id=28127

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

I agree its really sad to see Page Hall these days; I was born 1944 at 97 Hinde House Lane which I left in 1968 when married. Mum & dad carried on living there until they died, dad 1987 mum 1993. Mum didn't like it in the last few years because it had changed so much .

My wife is from Millhouses area & that side of the city has changed little.

Hi johnpm, My grandparents lived not far from your place of birth. They lived in Hinde House Crescent just up the Lane and, even further up, I used to go to music lessons at a house round about No 162 until 1950.

I paid many visits to the Library when 'Biggles' and 'Just William' books were in great demand in the 40's whilst my grandmother was a regular at the Whist Drives in the Pavilion until the early 50's. All happy memories of an area of Sheffield (ie:NE) where folks were great and cared for their districts.

Was it No.1 Hinde House Lane (Bakery) that had the unique aroma which draws you in as soon as you detect it ? Maybe it still does but I'm too far away to find out!

Hi johnpm, My grandparents lived not far from your place of birth. They lived in Hinde House Crescent just up the Lane and, even further up, I used to go to music lessons at a house round about No 162 until 1950.

I paid many visits to the Library when 'Biggles' and 'Just William' books were in great demand in the 40's whilst my grandmother was a regular at the Whist Drives in the Pavilion until the early 50's. All happy memories of an area of Sheffield (ie:NE) where folks were great and cared for their districts.

Was it No.1 Hinde House Lane (Bakery) that had the unique aroma which draws you in as soon as you detect it ? Maybe it still does but I'm too far away to find out!

"Whist drives in the Pavilion" where was that ?

Hi Voldy, I went to library a lot as well as sailing boats in the pond often getting them stuck on the island in the middle! Yes the bakery was 1 Hinde House Lane which was across from Scholey's herbalist. My dentist Arnold Scholey had a surgery above his brother's ( or was it cousin's) herbalist. Arnold was also landlord of the Fountain Pub at Ingbirchworth & I remember seeing him pick up trays of bread rolls from the bakery before going home

"Whist drives in the Pavilion" where was that ?

Just above the 1937 built Library about half-way between Page Hall and Firth Park on Firth Park Road opposite junction with Vivian Road.

There is an old picture in Bryan Woodriff's first 'Shire Green, Wincobank & Ecclesfield' book published in 2001 of the Library and two showing the 'Refreshment' rooms at the Park entrance.

I remember The Sunbeam and also Cannon Hall Cottages which were opposite. Are these the ones you lived in Snowbird ??

Click on one of these links and then click on 'Zoom image' for a bigger pic :-

The Sunbeam :-

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u07470&pos=1&action=zoom&id=97904

Cannon Hall Cottages, opposite The Sunbeam:-

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s06133&pos=1&action=zoom&id=9468

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s11420&pos=1&action=zoom&id=14419

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s25685&pos=1&action=zoom&id=28127

Peter.

Yes they were called the Cannon Hall cottages- Even the Cannon hall is gone now of course! Crying shame. it was lovely in its day- tennis courts, orchard, stream through the gardens. Now its Tesco and my home is just a patch of grass with a few trees.

-

---------- Post added 05-10-2015 at 11:13 ----------

Yes they were called the Cannon Hall cottages- Even the Cannon hall is gone now of course! Crying shame. it was lovely in its day- tennis courts, orchard, stream through the gardens. Now its Tesco and my home is just a patch of grass with a few trees.

-

That last link was awful. Not seen it before heartbreaking to see such a lovely place reduced to a tip like that.

Just above the 1937 built Library about half-way between Page Hall and Firth Park on Firth Park Road opposite junction with Vivian Road.

There is an old picture in Bryan Woodriff's first 'Shire Green, Wincobank & Ecclesfield' book published in 2001 of the Library and two showing the 'Refreshment' rooms at the Park entrance.

Here's a link to pics of the Firth Park Pavilion and Library:-

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s11082&prevUrl=

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u02942&prevUrl=

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 12:48 ----------

-

---------- Post added 05-10-2015 at 11:13 ----------

That last link was awful. Not seen it before heartbreaking to see such a lovely place reduced to a tip like that.

Sorry you are upset about the pic Snowbird. I'm thinking it was taken just before demolishion.

Where was the Cannon Hall? The nearest existing one I can find is in Barnsley. Although the cottages were at the bottom of Barnsley Road, I thought it seemed a long treck away. :)

Edited by PeterR

The Cannon Hall stood behind where the pub used to be, in my days, on visiting the ruins, we called it haunted house

The Cannon Hall stood behind where the pub used to be, in my days, on visiting the ruins, we called it haunted house

I lived in the Cannon Hall pub from 1973 to 1981 and as far as we could find out from Whitbreads the old hall was converted and added to, this was very obvious when you looked " behind the scenes " . The large room on the left was a new addition with mens & ladies toilets , through to what used to be a concert room, we lowered the ceiling & changed it into the lounge & when you walked towards the back door from behind the bar & turned & looked up you could see where an extra room had been added to give the living quarters 3 bedrooms, kitchen, lounge & dining room.The ceiling was arched with plaster motifs.

That left the original building being used for the tap room & the snug, an extension was added for the tap room toilets.

Happy Days .....!!

Edited by Barb M
Wrong Dates

Hi PeterR - Don't know when library picture was taken, if its recent it still looks good. fleetwood

Some memories from the 'Fir Vale' photo, Wincobank Hill -or at least Jimmy Childs' tip side of it-'Airman' cigs ad, right shop window, and is that a 'Standard Vanguard' ?