Page Hall Shops - History

Although page hall is now a run down depressed area it was the best place I ever lived in the 70"s still have many good memories and hope one day it will return to the way it was!

Got to agree me old mate. happy times they were top people top memories.

According to my 87 yr old Mum, up to 1963, shops and businesses down the right hand side went Midland Bank - Shentall's (Grocers) - Laws (Toys & Cards) - Broadheads? (Bakers) - Patnicks (Junk) - Popes (Tools and Hardware).

The shop occupied by Patnicks had been the Co-op before he took it over! If my memory is correct, he always used to have a cigar on the go :gag: Could be mixing him up with a bloke who had a carpet shop in Blonk Street

Around the corner from the bank in Firth park Road was an Undertaker called A. Cross :D, the Chinese Laundry and an Off-License.

On the other side of Page Hall Road, amongst those already mentioned, was a shop called Andrews which was a Drapers, Outfitters, Haberdashery on two floors.

This was all at a time when people didn't own car's to get in and travel out of your area to shop. That's progress!

I also remember the milkman delivering milk up Idsworth Road using a horse and cart. Think the coal-man also brought coal round using a horse drawn cart. The rag and bone man definitely did. He used to have goldfish hanging on his cart in polythene bags but told us you only got one of them in exchange for a copper boiler!

i also remember the milkman using a house and cart he also use to deliver on christmas day, it was lucky his horse knew the way home because he liked a little drink with his christmas box

can anyone tell me the name of the cinema at pagehall. can remember the sunbeam,but not the one at pagehall, i think it was at the end of firth park road on a road on the left....

can anyone tell me the name of the cinema at pagehall. can remember the sunbeam,but not the one at pagehall, i think it was at the end of firth park road on a road on the left....

See post #297

It was The Roxy

It was The Roxy

certainly was used in full monty a bingo hall and then Q ball snooker club! was also a carpet shop if my mind serves me well:hihi:

many thanks for the roxy.i was five at that time im now 66,with a bad memory lol

many thanks for the roxy.i was five at that time im now 66,with a bad memory lol

TOO many hours in Firth park hotel:hihi: Its an advice center now for the MULTICULTURAL SOCIETY that took over page hall:suspect:

There is another thread running alongside this on Fir Vale so apologies for similarities if you have read some of this.

In the 1950's I was born and lived in Idsworth Road, straight opposite the WM Club. The Roxy, further down the road had been a cinema but was some sort of club "when I were a lad". I remember a group rehearsing "Wooden Heart" over and over while we were playing round the back. Why has that stuck in me head :confused:

We would buy spice from McGregor's at the bottom on the junction with Firth Park Road.

Me Mum used to buy fire-lighters and bundles of sticks from Pope's to light the coal fire, before Sheffield went smokeless :gag:

Must have been a Co-op somewhere. Can't remember where but can still remember my Mum's check number. Not going to say what it was 'cos I don't want somebody else getting our divi' :suspect:

Went to Hucklow Road school and scraped a few notes out in the correct order on a violin in Vincent Bradley's school orchestra. Teachers I remember from early 60s - Miss Lake, Mr Howe, Miss Toes (honest) and Mr Lord.

Our doctor was also Dr Petegrue at Firth Park.

As far as I can remember Popes and the Co-op occupied the same building but at different times, as did Patnicks. When Popes moved out of there they moved in to a small shop on the corner of Firth Park road and Little Bolsover (Bolsover Road East). You can see Popes on THIS picture.

You can see the Co-op on THIS picture.

As far as I can remember Popes and the Co-op occupied the same building but at different times, as did Patnicks. When Popes moved out of there they moved in to a small shop on the corner of Firth Park road and Little Bolsover (Bolsover Road East). You can see Popes on THIS picture.

You can see the Co-op on THIS picture.

Great pictures mate¬

You can see Popes better on HERE

VERY NICE >>> going to put it in star retro section cos not every body has a computer:hihi:

---------- Post added 01-08-2014 at 13:48 ----------

Read about page hall in star again some reckon its getting better? any up to date feedback had a drive through today at 11am and it seemed very quiet hardley anyone on streets!