Page Hall Shops - History

i lived on skinnerthorpe road just down from cannon hall pub and the old allotments better known as the haunted

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 20:49 ----------

too right I was born on skinnerthorpe road it was a lovely area when i was growing up

i lived on skinnerthorpe road just down from cannon hall pub and the old allotments better known as the haunted

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 20:49 ----------

too right I was born on skinnerthorpe road it was a lovely area when i was growing up

I bet you went to Hucklow Road School

I grew up on Hinde House Lane, born 1944 & lived there until 1968 when I married; mum & dad were there until early 1993 by when they had both died.

Last night watched the BBC programme on policing at Page Hall with horror! How can a great area get so bad! Feel sorry for the folk left there to cope with the problems.

There is another thread running alongside this on Fir Vale so apologies for similarities if you have read some of this.

In the 1950's I was born and lived in Idsworth Road, straight opposite the WM Club. The Roxy, further down the road had been a cinema but was some sort of club "when I were a lad". I remember a group rehearsing "Wooden Heart" over and over while we were playing round the back. Why has that stuck in me head :confused:

We would buy spice from McGregor's at the bottom on the junction with Firth Park Road.

Me Mum used to buy fire-lighters and bundles of sticks from Pope's to light the coal fire, before Sheffield went smokeless :gag:

Must have been a Co-op somewhere. Can't remember where but can still remember my Mum's check number. Not going to say what it was 'cos I don't want somebody else getting our divi' :suspect:

Went to Hucklow Road school and scraped a few notes out in the correct order on a violin in Vincent Bradley's school orchestra. Teachers I remember from early 60s - Miss Lake, Mr Howe, Miss Toes (honest) and Mr Lord.

Our doctor was also Dr Petegrue at Firth Park.

Edited by rebrab
name change

I went to Owler lane school, the two shops I remember are Gilberts, and Hymans, both tuck shops but quite different. Gilberts was ultra clean and tidy, and Mrs hymans was.............full of character? It is over 50 years since I left Sheffield and I have just realised the shops I mention are not Page Hall, never mind someone may remember them. My mum was a dinner lady at Hucklow road school 1949/???????? A long time anyway.

According to my 87 yr old Mum, up to 1963, shops and businesses down the right hand side went Midland Bank - Shentall's (Grocers) - Laws (Toys & Cards) - Broadheads? (Bakers) - Patnicks (Junk) - Popes (Tools and Hardware).

The shop occupied by Patnicks had been the Co-op before he took it over! If my memory is correct, he always used to have a cigar on the go :gag: Could be mixing him up with a bloke who had a carpet shop in Blonk Street

Around the corner from the bank in Firth park Road was an Undertaker called A. Cross :D, the Chinese Laundry and an Off-License.

On the other side of Page Hall Road, amongst those already mentioned, was a shop called Andrews which was a Drapers, Outfitters, Haberdashery on two floors.

This was all at a time when people didn't own car's to get in and travel out of your area to shop. That's progress!

I also remember the milkman delivering milk up Idsworth Road using a horse and cart. Think the coal-man also brought coal round using a horse drawn cart. The rag and bone man definitely did. He used to have goldfish hanging on his cart in polythene bags but told us you only got one of them in exchange for a copper boiler!

Edited by rebrab

Although page hall is now a run down depressed area it was the best place I ever lived in the 70"s still have many good memories and hope one day it will return to the way it was!