Page Hall Shops - History

Nah then can remember that cobblers opposite Burgess pet shop on corner was the dentist across the road used to walk down there on way to school Owler lane infants there were allotments where Earl marshal is now used to go bird nesting down there....

You terrible person Pigeon going nesting lol

In 1966 I lived on Vickers Rd ( opposite a small grocers/sweet shop on the corner of Vickers Rd & Cammel Rd. ) I remember going down to the bottom of Vickers Rd to a small greengrocers shop on the corner of Vickers Rd and Cammel Rd. The ladies hairdressers previously mentioned on Bolsover Rd was called Jeans. A few houses up from Jeans was a small grocers shop where I remember you could buy cigarettes in packets of 5. I can also remember a wallpaper shop called Blaskeys on Firth Park Rd where the bus shelter was.

Back then it was a lovely place to live.

In 1966 I lived on Vickers Rd ( opposite a small grocers/sweet shop on the corner of Vickers Rd & Cammel Rd. ) I remember going down to the bottom of Vickers Rd to a small greengrocers shop on the corner of Vickers Rd and Cammel Rd. The ladies hairdressers previously mentioned on Bolsover Rd was called Jeans. A few houses up from Jeans was a small grocers shop where I remember you could buy cigarettes in packets of 5. I can also remember a wallpaper shop called Blaskeys on Firth Park Rd where the bus shelter was.

Back then it was a lovely place to live.

I agree 100%, it was a lovely place to live back then. I lived a Cammell road from 1953 up until about 1973. I grew up there and really enjoyed my childhood there.

I think the shop that you are talking about at the bottom of Vickers road was called Dales. It was on the corner of Vickers road and Lindley road just HERE

I had a friend who lived on Vickers road (near where it joins Cammell road) called Richard Turner

Edited by kidneystone

Are we discussing Page Hall?

I'm sure that's where the Sunbeam picture house was.

I lived in Handsworth and only ventured there because I had made a date.

It was alien country to me but worth the trip.

I married ''my date'' and a lovely man he was . My love.

I agree 100%, it was a lovely place to live back then. I lived a Cammell road from 1953 up until about 1973. I grew up there and really enjoyed my childhood there.

The think the shop that you are talking about at the bottom of Vickers road was called Dales. It was on the corner of Vickers road and Lindley road just HERE

I had a friend who lived on Vickers road (near where it joins Cammell road) called Richard Turner

That's the one, sorry I thought Cammel Rd went all the way round.... my mistake. I was nearly always sent to that shop on Saturdays to buy the veg for the Sunday dinner.... and always a bottle of Tizer and Jusoda. Spent hours at the bottom end of Firth Park in the woods and making dams in the stream. Very happy days. :thumbsup:

That's the one, sorry I thought Cammel Rd went all the way round.... my mistake. I was nearly always sent to that shop on Saturdays to buy the veg for the Sunday dinner.... and always a bottle of Tizer and Jusoda. Spent hours at the bottom end of Firth Park in the woods and making dams in the stream. Very happy days. :thumbsup:

GREAT PLACE IN 70"S not too good now though saw two police cars outside launderette yesterday ?

:huh:..................................... :roll: Takes her ''hook''

Are we discussing Page Hall?

I'm sure that's where the Sunbeam picture house was.

I lived in Handsworth and only ventured there because I had made a date.

It was alien country to me but worth the trip.

I married ''my date'' and a lovely man he was . My love.

Carmen - It was the Roxy Cinema at Page Hall, the Sunbeam was situated at Firvale, really not all that far away from each other though.

Carmen - It was the Roxy Cinema at Page Hall, the Sunbeam was situated at Firvale, really not all that far away from each other though.

THIS was the Roxy at Page Hall.

Open from 1920 - 1959 with 1500 seats.

Opened as the Page Hall Cinema on 24th May 1920 it was located in the Page Hall district of the city. It also boasted a café which opened in August 1920 and later in February 1921 a billiards hall (pool hall) was added. In 1929 a ballroom was added to an area behind the screen and this had its own separate entrance.

The Page Hall Cinema had seating provided in stalls and balcony levels was operated by an Independent exhibitor. It was the last of Sheffield’s cinemas to go over to talkies, which was in 1931. In 1945 it was acquired by the Buxton Theatres Circuit and re-named Roxy Cinema from November 1945.

A year later in November 1946 the Roxy was taken over by Reiss Cinemas of Leeds. In November 1957 a new screen was installed but in January 1958 a fire broke out in an area under the screen and it was destroyed as well as damage done to the balcony area. The cinema was closed for repairs (the ballroom was undamaged and stayed open) and it re-opened in June 1958, screening its first CinemaScope film “The Bridge on the River Kwai”.

The end was near and the Roxy finally closed on 14th June 1959 with Frank Sinatra in “Johnny Concho” and Stirling Hayden in “The Killing”. The cinema became a bingo hall and the ballroom became a dance studio. In later years the building has been used as a carpet store and snooker club. In 1997 it was used as a location as the exterior of the main hall at the climax of the hit film “The Full Monty”. It was the steps on the right of the picture I think.

The building and the area have seen better days.

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 19:13 ----------

That is exactly what we used to do as kids, fantastic time they were. I used to know a girl who lived on Vickers road but for the life of me I cant remember her name. the one thing I can remember about her was that her Birthday was on 29 February

can anyone remember Banners at fir vale. you use to know christmas was coming when they put the toys in the window at the beginning of november.

[quote=kidneystone;

[/color]

That is exactly what we used to do as kids, fantastic time they were. I used to know a girl who lived on Vickers road but for the life of me I cant remember her name. the one thing I can remember about her was that her Birthday was on 29 February

Wasn't me.

can anyone remember Banners at fir vale. you use to know christmas was coming when they put the toys in the window at the beginning of november.

There is a bit about Firvale HERE

You can see Banners on HERE

I bet you lived on Skinnerthorpe Road.