Page Hall Shops - History

hello peter I ride a yamaha these days Beever was a Honda dealer not sure but I think the guy in shop was called frank?

Hello again pigeon. Frank sounds familiar, but it's 40 years ago since I left Ever Ready:confused: I hadn't rode for 40 years when I bought a Honda Pantheon scooter a couple of years ago. Finally hung my helmet up about 6 months ago. A few years ago I tried to rescue the illuminated Honda sign which hung outside Beever's shop for many years. Noticed it had just come down and enquired in the shop which was selling s/hand furniture at the time. It was in a corner broken through apparent mishandling. They didn't seem to want to get involved :(

Edited by PeterR

I was born at Page Hall (Cammell Road) and lived there for approx the first 20 years of my life. I am 59 now so that’s 39 years ago I left, I remember having a fantastic childhood. My first school was Hucklow Road then on to Hinde House. I can remember a lot of the shops there. There was patnicks and there was Bill Beavers where I bought my first motor bike brand new out of their showroom (Honda CB250 which cost if I’m not mistaken £539). There was sidhalls where I bought my sandwiches from (until I found a live catterpillar in one). In my younger days we used to go making dens in page hall grounds. We used to sneak down the grates in to the under ground basement of page hall itself. I have really great memories of the area. Sadly I have been back to the area to try and relive some of those memories but the area has gone down hill quite a lot. Cammell road and the house where I grew up seem so small now. I lived right at the side of the entrance to page hall. As kids we went straight through the entrance and in to the wooded area on the left and up the banking. We made dens all over the place in there. Now it’s lost all its charm since it was built on and became abbey grange. The shopping centre looks so untidy now.

Here are just a few of the names of the people I went to school with and who I used to knock about with, does anyone else remember them.

There was Garry Spooner and Keith Bradley both from Wheldrake Road (numbers 47 and 60 I think), and Peter Shepard and Keith Webster both from Ellerton Road (7 and 8 I think).

Edited by kidneystone
Name change

I was born at Page Hall (Cammell Road) and lived there for approx the first 20 years of my life. I am 59 now so that’s 39 years ago I left, I remember having a fantastic childhood. My first school was Hucklow Road then on to Hinde House. I can remember a lot of the shops there. There was patnicks and there was Bill Beavers where I bought my first motor bike brand new out of their showroom (Honda CD250 which cost if I’m not mistaken £539). There was sidhalls where I bought my sandwiches from (until I found a live catterpillar in one). In my younger days we used to go making dens in page hall grounds. We used to sneak down the grates in to the under ground basement of page hall itself. I have really great memories of the area. Sadly I have been back to the area to try and relive some of those memories but the area has gone down hill quite a lot. Cammell road and the house where I grew up seem so small now. I lived right at the side of the entrance to page hall. As kids we went straight through the entrance and in to the wooded area on the left and up the banking. We made dens all over the place in there. Now it’s lost all its charm since it was built on and became abbey grange. The shopping centre looks so untidy now.

Here are just a few of the names of the people I went to school with and who I used to knock about with, does anyone else remember them.

There was Garry Spooner and Keith Webster both from Wheldrake Road (numbers 47 and 60 I think), and Peter Shepard and Keith Webster both from Ellerton Road (7 and 8 I think).

Spooners? now then went to school with one brother the older of the two died quite young am almost sure one was called Garry...

Spooners? now then went to school with one brother the older of the two died quite young am almost sure one was called Garry...

Gary Spooner had two brothers and one sister if my memory serves me right, and yes one of his brothers died in his 20s or 30s so we are talking about the same family

Gary Spooner had two brothers and one sister if my memory serves me right, and yes one of his brothers died in his 20s or 30s so we are talking about the same family

Yes it was James the elder brother he was in his early twenties I reckon,the youngest was called Mick lives at Longley park!

Yes it was James the elder brother he was in his early twenties I reckon,the youngest was called Mick lives at Longley park!

And Garry still lives at same place and works at Tinsley Wire or betafence as its now known

And Garry still lives at same place and works at Tinsley Wire or betafence as its now known

The last time I saw Gary was in Firth Park WMC and I think he was living on Cammell Road. That was many many years ago. I know Firth Park WMC was his local and probably still is

On Little Bolsover Rd I remember there was a cobblers on the left hand side as you walked down from Hinde House Lane to Firth Park Rd in the 1950's or so. He mended all our shoes & did a great job. I loved watching him at working when I was a kid.

Anybody else remember it?

On Little Bolsover Rd I remember there was a cobblers on the left hand side as you walked down from Hinde House Lane to Firth Park Rd in the 1950's or so. He mended all our shoes & did a great job. I loved watching him at working when I was a kid.

Anybody else remember it?

Vaguely remember a dingy shop there of some sort 1960 or early sixties. Mind you everything was a bit dingy down there!

Vaguely remember a dingy shop there of some sort 1960 or early sixties. Mind you everything was a bit dingy down there!

Nah then can remember that cobblers opposite Burgess pet shop on corner was the dentist across the road used to walk down there on way to school Owler lane infants there were allotments where Earl marshal is now used to go bird nesting down there....

My Dad always had a saying for my untidy bedroom which was "It looks like Patnick's windder in 'ere".

This was because of Patnicks junk shop in Page Hall where the window display was less of a display and more of an organised mess. I still use that term today (at 48) but my wife (of 38) had never heard anyone say it before. Does anyone else recall it being said?

My Dad always had a saying for my untidy bedroom which was "It looks like Patnick's windder in 'ere".

This was because of Patnicks junk shop in Page Hall where the window display was less of a display and more of an organised mess. I still use that term today (at 48) but my wife (of 38) had never heard anyone say it before. Does anyone else recall it being said?

Not heard the quote but remember patnicks very well used to love sneaking in and having a look around :hihi: