Page Hall Shops - History

When I was a young kid just starting work, a man I worked with acquired a Norton Dominator, I suppose it was a vintage bike even in them early years, anyway he was going to bring it back to scratch. He took the fuel and oil tanks to Bill Beevers for repairing and repainting in the tradional Norton Colors, i'm sure that Beevers had to send them out somewhere else. They came back beautifully restored and I think the bill at the time was only about seven pounds, which was amazing when you look back I suppose, but seemed like a fortune to me at the time. His shop had all the pictures of his TT exploits in the window.

Edited by fleetwood
Hit the wrong damn key

sometimes then went half way up Hinde house lane to some mates and scoff them in the home made tent in garden :hihi:

good times mate

I worked at the Midland Bank on the corner, next door to Dr Richard Walsh. We always had a laugh at the young blonde haired lad running across from Kennington butchers at 3,30 just as we were shutting the door. It was a standing joke of whether he would win us each day. One day he dropped the money on the zebra crossing. I can remember all the customers, Kramers butchers, Jobsons beer off, Gregory's bakery - best potted meat for miles - Hamiltons wallpaper and paint shop, Mr Crawshaw from the Firth Park Hotel with moustache, this is in the 60's/70's.

I worked at the Midland Bank on the corner, next door to Dr Richard Walsh. We always had a laugh at the young blonde haired lad running across from Kennington butchers at 3,30 just as we were shutting the door. It was a standing joke of whether he would win us each day. One day he dropped the money on the zebra crossing. I can remember all the customers, Kramers butchers, Jobsons beer off, Gregory's bakery - best potted meat for miles - Hamiltons wallpaper and paint shop, Mr Crawshaw from the Firth Park Hotel with moustache, this is in the 60's/70's.

I believe that lad at Kennington's was called Harold and he was my mate. He worked full time at Kennington's (he'd be about 18 then?) and I was the Saturday lad a couple of years younger. Jim Kennington was the butcher. Nice bloke. "Kennington's - one quality - the best"

I believe that lad at Kennington's was called Harold and he was my mate. He worked full time at Kennington's (he'd be about 18 then?) and I was the Saturday lad a couple of years younger. Jim Kennington was the butcher. Nice bloke. "Kennington's - one quality - the best"

You're right!! I can picture him now. He was a nice lad though, we always had a laugh with him, he was a typical cheeky butchers boy.

You're right!! I can picture him now. He was a nice lad though, we always had a laugh with him, he was a typical cheeky butchers boy.

WAS THAT THE BUTCHERS NEXT DOOR TO SIDDALLS FRUIT SHOP? USED TO GET MEAT FOR FERRETS OFF HIM AND HE NEVER TOOK ANY MONEY OFF US A VERY NICE GESTURE:hihi::hihi::hihi:

WAS THAT THE BUTCHERS NEXT DOOR TO SIDDALLS FRUIT SHOP? USED TO GET MEAT FOR FERRETS OFF HIM AND HE NEVER TOOK ANY MONEY OFF US A VERY NICE GESTURE:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Yep, next to Siddall's.

Amazing to think there were three butcher's shops within a few yards of each other. We liked our meat! :D

Can anyone else remember the tobacconist at pagehall,more or less opposite Patnicks.Sold pipes lighters etc,i've got the name Scotts in my head not sure if it's right though going back to the sixties can recall my aunt working there.

Do you remember the Chinese laundry just past the bank on the corner of Page Hall and Firth Park Rd?

I remember having to pick up my dads shirt collars from the Chinese laundry ....cleaned , freshly starched and always wrapped up in a strong brown paper package . Mam always used this brown wrapping paper when she was pressing dads trousers . It was a fascinating little shop and when it was a hot summers day the widows were always wide open and you could listen to the elderly little Chinese gent playing his violin .

It was Kennington's Butchers, "One Quality... the best" and it was run by butcher Jim Kennington. I was a butchers lad there for awhile around 1970/1. What a lovely bloke Jim was. A lot of fun to work with, but it was hard work.

And I think the other butchers was actually "Asher's" run by Jack Asher. I seem to remember he felt superior to us as he had two shops. He did lovely hot roast pork sarnies on weekday lunchtimes! Yum! What a treat they were! ;)

Jack Asher senior was a lovely old gent but his son ,also Jack , did seem to have a few airs and graces and his wife Ruby owned the ladies hairdressing shop on Upwell St .. I seem to remember a third generation son working there ...perhaps Tim ?? around '83/'84.

I can also remember having to take my little sister to Connie Grants dance school on Idsworth Road on Saturday mornings during the late 60's......and it still amazes me that you could still buy packs of 10 ciggies....day or night ... from the vending machine in front of McGregors shop at the bottom of that road right up to the early 80's.

There was a high class ladies 'couture' dress shop on Page Hall road in the 70's, just up from Patnicks ...before the bank , but the name escapes me ...possibly Elizabeths?

Then there was the Spar shop next to Jack Ashers (late 70's early 80's ) with Freda and Agnes, two of the sweetest elderly sisters who had time for a chat with each and every customer and were always refered to as Auntie Freda and Auntie Agnes by all the local kids .