Page Hall Shops - History

Johnpm , I mean the Popes diy at Page Hall. There was Barry & Pat and their sons

Barry & Martin .

Yes it was Spinks butchers oppposite Firth Park Hotel I worked there from age 14 till I left school. (sat job) It was passed down to Malcolm (think that;s right?) from his dad but he didn't take to butchery so his wife who had been a secretary up until then (Jean) took over that side and he did the bakery part. Yes best custards I ever tasted and breadcakes and apple pies, mince tarts....I can remember the smell of them baking as I was in back of shop...counting breadcakes for pub orders!

My sister worked there before me and my aunty...a real family tradition . Next door was Bradleys.

Ah yes the shop opposite the beer off was a driving school. Weird thing...I was at Black Country Museum yesterday and there is a hardware shop there just like it but bigger...it brought it all back and then find it on here! My mum used to work there and me and my brother used to go to work with her there. we played at shop when nobody was about but told to go in back when customers came in! It sold bundles of firewood and firelighters...can smell it now. Sold some odd things and very little in the shop! That must have been in the early 70's?

Patnicks was first...he was a Sheffield councillor and also had a similar shop on Abbey Lane....

It was definitley Brian Somebody. He used to open at 5:00 am to catch the morning shift-workers on their way to work.

One shop not mentioned was the beer-off on the corner of Barretta street. Kept by an ex RAF officer, whose name I can't recall, and sold draught ale from a hand pump.

And yes the pork butcher's shop was Kramers, perhaps Friedrich's shop was the one at the bottom of Bellhouse. I believe the other butcher's shop at PH was Ashton's which later became Siddall's green-grocers ?

The beer-off on the corner of Barretta street was called Double Diamond and still exists today. When we moved on Page Hall Rd in 1981-ish it was run by someone called Kevin Brunt.

The beer-off on the corner of Barretta street was called Double Diamond and still exists today. When we moved on Page Hall Rd in 1981-ish it was run by someone called Kevin Brunt.

the off licence was run by Mr Jobson

the off licence was run by Mr Jobson

I do remember that when we moved on Page Hall road the owners of Double Diamond changed around about the same time-ish and he was called Kevin Brunt and his mrs was called hazel with a son called Chris who was friends with my brother. Mr Jobson may have been the owner before him because Kevin Brunt had the place till about 1999 and after it caught fire he sold it to one of my dad's relatives who still owns the place.

When I was younger I remember leaving there after buying some spangles and I ran across the road without looking and ended up being run over by a Robin Reliant!!!

Next to the natwest bank was a small tobacco/ice cream shop, called balls or walls, then a bookies. Was the hairdressers called sally anne. Siddalls fruit and veg, but didnt they have some kind of plumbing/building company. was there a davys bun shop, and a chemist on there.

I was a paper boy for underwoods from 74-78

Davys the bakers seem to remember that shop :huh:oh yeah lived in flat above it for 12 years:hihi:

Davys the bakers seem to remember that shop :huh:oh yeah lived in flat above it for 12 years:hihi:

did you sneek down and nick all the buns at night

did you sneek down and nick all the buns at night
sometimes then went half way up Hinde house lane to some mates and scoff them in the home made tent in garden :hihi:

Hi texas,bill beevers never won a tt but was an exceptional racer being very quick on both solo and sidecar.In the late 50s early 60s he displayed in his window all the ttreplicas he won and at that point in time was a record.Bill had to retire from racing at the age of 55 by acu regulations but rode at the tt for many years as a travelling marshalin the IOM.Bill and Lily retired there to a bungalow at castletown where I used to visit them until their demise.A great pair with many tales to tell.

The building that Popes were in was originaly Banners.Asmaller version of the one on Attercliffe rd.