Page Hall Shops - History

Hi johnpm and papperdave, the department store you are both on about was a branch of the Brightside and Carbrook Co-op Society. It had a Hardware depatment in the basement, a haberdashery, ladies and gents clothing and shoes on the ground floor and an office on the 1st floor. The over head money transfer system was typical Co-op. This shop later became Patnick's second hand shop. At Beamish the co-op in the street of the museum has a similar system which can demonstrated. All the cash was sent to cashier away from the counters who would send the change and reciept back for the assistant to hand to the customer.

Hi johnpm and papperdave, the department store you are both on about was a branch of the Brightside and Carbrook Co-op Society. It had a Hardware depatment in the basement, a haberdashery, ladies and gents clothing and shoes on the ground floor and an office on the 1st floor. The over head money transfer system was typical Co-op. This shop later became Patnick's second hand shop. At Beamish the co-op in the street of the museum has a similar system which can demonstrated. All the cash was sent to cashier away from the counters who would send the change and reciept back for the assistant to hand to the customer.

Hi CLOWN You are absolutely right it was'nt Banners but the Brightside & Carbrook Co-op but very similar in appearance. I hope some of the Forum users can add somemore information to my last two postings on this thread.

What fantastic memories, it all comes flooding back. Does anyone remember the pet shop on the corner of Owler Lane across from Rushby St and the bakery (Gregory's I think it was called)? And Jeavons dentists also on Rushby St. A favorite of mine was Browns, the toy shop! I also used to love Sunday afternoons when the boys brigade used to parade through the streets with their drums and bugles, the chap in the lead really used to fancy himself! Ah....those were the days.

fleetwood was popes the hardwear shop there befor petnicks second hand shop

What fantastic memories, it all comes flooding back. Does anyone remember the pet shop on the corner of Owler Lane across from Rushby St and the bakery (Gregory's I think it was called)? And Jeavons dentists also on Rushby St. A favorite of mine was Browns, the toy shop! I also used to love Sunday afternoons when the boys brigade used to parade through the streets with their drums and bugles, the chap in the lead really used to fancy himself! Ah....those were the days.

Also there was a small shoe shop, was it called 'Langtons' ?Think it was at the back of Owler lane.

fleetwood was popes the hardwear shop there befor petnicks second hand shop

Hi NORMKIE I'm pretty sure Popes was there before Patnicks, if it was the same Patnicks that I remember, some family members were estate agents with offices on the street behind the Sheffield Cathedral.

When I lived down there, the butchers was Spinks, next door to that was a newsagent, can't for the life of me remember what that was called, but it was owned by an ex Sheffield Utd player, can't remember his name either.

bradleys newsagents a little danny davito dude owned the shop

Dunno about thr 150/151 but there was the 265 Barnsley bus. From town this was pick-up only until it got to Lane Top.

151/105 where circular buses that run through shiregreen

Also there was a small shoe shop, was it called 'Langtons' ?Think it was at the back of Owler lane.

I went to school with david burgess whose parents owned the pet shop. Back in the 50's my late uncle walked in front of the trinity church boys brigade throwing the mace up in the air, and 99 times out of 100 catching it!

Hi NORMKIE I'm pretty sure Popes was there before Patnicks, if it was the same Patnicks that I remember, some family members were estate agents with offices on the street behind the Sheffield Cathedral.

patnicks had the huge shop and popes was on the corner patnikts left and popes took over

anyone remember olive fields hairdressers ? .

lol she was on the the right hand side as your going up from upwell street near the bike shop