Remember Chelmsford Street/Woodbourn Road

Hi Whiteley

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've not been on for a bit. She was called Bailey, and lived at 154, next to the Mackenders, and 2 doors from the Smiths. Our family moved there in the 1930s and left in 1981.

There's a great picture of Cottingham Street in Jack Wrigley's book East End Camera. If you can still get a copy that is.

Hi Whiteley

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've not been on for a bit. She was called Bailey, and lived at 154, next to the Mackenders, and 2 doors from the Smiths. Our family moved there in the 1930s and left in 1981.

There's a great picture of Cottingham Street in Jack Wrigley's book East End Camera. If you can still get a copy that is.

Have just spoke to my mum, she remembers Jessie Bailey who lived on Chelmsford Street, would thet be your auntie. My mum was born on Cottingham Street, she's now 87 and my grandma and grandad lived on Fearnehough Street. We have relaitive on Ripon Street as well, like you say, everybody used t live close by.

Yeah, she was my auntie. She's dead now. She lived on Chelmsford Street after she got married, across the road from the little chapel. I will ask my mum if she remembers you. I remember those heads Retep mentions, viking or whatever they were. There is a building near the Staffordshire Arms, off Carlisle Street, which still has them. I was scared of them as a kid, although not as scared as I was of Sam Birley and his wife.

There were loads of shops down there, considering it was such a small area. Anyone remember Bellamy's at the top of Cottingham St, Clare's Cafe, Bob Gaydon's Butchers, and 2 chip shops, Harrys and Becketts? All long gone of course.

Hi Whiteley

Been and bought East End Camera today, what a great book, it brought back a lot of great memories seeing the old pictures. Thanks for telling me about it.

Thanks for the photo of the School. It looks a lot cleaner than my day!

What is it used for these days, do you know?

I have heard it is used as a Mosque or even has an Indian restaurant in it but that part doesn't appear that way.

Cheers,

Mike Fisher

There were loads of shops down there, considering it was such a small area. Anyone remember Bellamy's at the top of Cottingham St, Clare's Cafe, Bob Gaydon's Butchers, and 2 chip shops, Harrys and Becketts? All long gone of course.

I remember Clare's cafe down Woodburn Road on the corner of............I've forgot,anyway the Woodburn pub was down there,full of lorry drivers like mesen.The coalmen used to come into Clare's and have a hock sandwich with fat running down their chins,cleaning 'em up a bit.

I only ever had cheese on toast in there:hihi:.

Mike

The whole area is now unrecognisable. I have some pictures which might interest you, old and new. My auntie lived on Chelmsford Street, my grandama on Cottingham Street and we lived on Westbury Street. It was that sort of place.

PM me and I will send you some stuff. When did you live there by the way? We might know some of the same people, you never know.

Hi I lived at 57 westbury street until 1950, do you have a photo of the street?

I have a photo of the Dday party,but have been trying to get a photo of the street.

Thanks for the photo of the School. It looks a lot cleaner than my day!

What is it used for these days, do you know?

I have heard it is used as a Mosque or even has an Indian restaurant in it but that part doesn't appear that way.

Cheers,

Mike Fisher

It's now a community centre, called the PMC:- Pakistani-Muslim Enterprise Centre, and has a Mosque built onto the school down by the junction of Jessel St, and at the top end, by Cottingham Street is an extension that was built to house a restaurant.

(I think the intent was to give people training in being chefs and waiters/ hospitality so that they could set their own businesses up eventually)

I cannot remember what it is now called, but when I and the ex-mr PT used to go in, it was called "Taste of Pakistan", and the food was very nice, and quite inexpensive.

Hey,

I also go the Taste of Pakistan restaurant.its good restaurant,food was also good and service also good..I like this restaurant.

Edited by brigixined

Hi I lived at 57 westbury street until 1950, do you have a photo of the street?

I have a photo of the Dday party,but have been trying to get a photo of the street.

Hi Babsy,

Obviously I am suffering from old age and can not remember which was Westbury street, was it the one above Cotitngham street? If so I was also at the D day party, my parents had the greengrocer at 157 Worthing Rd and later151.

Hi i'm trying to find my biological father. All I know about him is that he was called either Robert Bellaby or Robert Bellamy. Some confusion about how his last name was pronounced. If anyone who lived on woodburn road has any information they think would be useful then please reply. It would have been about 37ish years ok. Thanks for taking time to read this.:)