Remember Chelmsford Street/Woodbourn Road

Hi folks,

I used to live on Chelmsford Street at 136 and attend Woodbourn Road School which is now a Mosque I believe. Can anyone point me to photographs of either the School or Chelmsford Street please?

Additionally, close by on Woodbourn Road there was a Fishmongers near the junction with Worthing Road , this same junction having a fairly large shop which sold everything in the food line as I recall and stretched around the corner it was on.

I am particularly interested in the Fishmongers as grandparents used to live nearby and would like to know it's name and street number if possible. I assume it is no longer present? Any photographs of shops around this junction would also be very welcome to add to the family history. I do know that Chelmsford Street was demolished when the new sports centre was built in that area.

All the best from an ex-Sheffielder now in Toronto, Canada soon to revisit briefly in Sheffield and Rotherham.

regards,

Mike Fisher

Hi folks,

I used to live on Chelmsford Street at 136 and attend Woodbourn Road School which is now a Mosque I believe. Can anyone point me to photographs of either the School or Chelmsford Street please?

Additionally, close by on Woodbourn Road there was a Fishmongers near the junction with Worthing Road , this same junction having a fairly large shop which sold everything in the food line as I recall and stretched around the corner it was on.

I am particularly interested in the Fishmongers as grandparents used to live nearby and would like to know it's name and street number if possible. I assume it is no longer present? Any photographs of shops around this junction would also be very welcome to add to the family history. I do know that Chelmsford Street was demolished when the new sports centre was built in that area.

All the best from an ex-Sheffielder now in Toronto, Canada soon to revisit briefly in Sheffield and Rotherham.

regards,

Mike Fisher

I lived at no 15 chelmsford st.Our house was just up from the cobblers at the bottom.:)

I helped flatten the area,

I remember a lot of the door and window lintels had Viking's heads,

1973 dir.

128 Woodbourn Road S. Burley, fishmonger

Thanks for the quick reply Brooksy, I'd forgotten the cobblers, jogged the old memory.

Mike

I helped flatten the area,

I remember a lot of the door and window lintels had Viking's heads,

1973 dir.

128 Woodbourn Road S. Burley, fishmonger

Thanks so much for that. As soon as I saw Burley I remembered the name!

Mike

Thanks for the quick reply Brooksy, I'd forgotten the cobblers, jogged the old memory.

Mike[/quote I Remember the swap shop as well.

Mike,

I have sent you the Attercliffe map via email.

Cheers,

Chris.

Thanks Chris. It hasn't shown up so far, stuck in the Net I guess.

Mike

Thanks Chris. It hasn't shown up so far, stuck in the Net I guess.

Mike

Mike,

If you have a look at the 'Does anyone remember Dolphin Street ?'

thread, and then scroll down to number 46 (shown on the right side of the posting) Jazzer has added a link to Photobucket showing this map.

I will send you the map again if you like. I am sending via Yahoo so not sure if you qmail accepts from them or not. If you can't receive it by qmail, just set up a Yahoo account and I will send it there.

Chris.

Mike,

If you have a look at the 'Does anyone remember Dolphin Street ?'

thread, and then scroll down to number 46 (shown on the right side of the posting) Jazzer has added a link to Photobucket showing this map.

I will send you the map again if you like. I am sending via Yahoo so not sure if you qmail accepts from them or not. If you can't receive it by qmail, just set up a Yahoo account and I will send it there.

Chris.

Many thanks Chris, got it via Jazzer's link. As you say it could be a spat between Yahoo and gmail causing your post not to be accepted.

Mike

Mike

The whole area is now unrecognisable. I have some pictures which might interest you, old and new. My auntie lived on Chelmsford Street, my grandama on Cottingham Street and we lived on Westbury Street. It was that sort of place.

PM me and I will send you some stuff. When did you live there by the way? We might know some of the same people, you never know.

Mike

The whole area is now unrecognisable. I have some pictures which might interest you, old and new. My auntie lived on Chelmsford Street, my grandama on Cottingham Street and we lived on Westbury Street. It was that sort of place.

PM me and I will send you some stuff. When did you live there by the way? We might know some of the same people, you never know.

I lived on Cottingham Street up to 1966, number 141, what was your Grandams name, I might have known her