So you think you can touch my belly...

Originally posted by foo_fighter

I really don't understand this, and my wife felt "strange" about it happening too, especially as you say when strangers, or people you hardly know do it.

Mind you, it's not as weird as DB...

DB you say Ahhhh when you see a CUT puppy, does mutilating small animals make you feel warm inside, are you sick ?

;)

ROFL! I hadn't noticed that!

DB, get your a*se back here and explain yourself, or a tribe of hormonal women inclined to cry over cut puppies will be out baying for your blood!!!

I can't help it - I feel sorry for cut puppies, they must have stepped on broken glass or something :P

Come on you know what I said, it's not my fault if my keyboard can't keep up with the speed of my typing skills ;)

Now... if you dont mind, I have little animals to mutilate :o (Just kidding guys)

I've never personally known any pregnant people so my opportunities for tummy prodding have been limited... :P I can understand why people would want to do it though, its just that 'awwwwww' factor (lickle baby! :) ) I pride myself on being fairly non maternal but the sight of a heavily pregnant belly is enough to make even me want to rush out and reproduce :) Its obviously a biological thing ;)

Hi,

Is this something women do to other women or are strange guys going round invading the personal space of complete strangers? I don't think I've ever seen this happen and certainly have never had the desire to do it myself.

Maybe if a stranger tries this rather unappealing move you should slap their hand away and say

'Do you mind I've got wind'

On a similar note, after my wife gave birth, ans we were ever out shopping, beit Asda or Meadowhall, people would want to poke their head round the hood of the pram and peer in to have a look, some (especially old people) would touch my daughter's hand or even face. I don't know if its just me, but I really did not appreciate that - perhaps I was just an over protective new dad, but I don't know where that person's hands have been - for all I know they've just been to the toilet, got the runs and did'nt wash their hands.

I was also over protective during late stages of pregancy, - for example we were in Asda once and a 'lad' was acting the fool with a trolley which resulted in the said trolley hitting my wife - nothing at all serious, but I grabbed the lad and pushed him into a display of cereal boxes - that was really out of character for me, i'm a little bloke that would avoid any such confrontation at all costs.

Matt

Originally posted by DaBouncer

I think some people want to touch a pregnant belly cos it's like reflex action similar to saying 'aaaarrrrr' when you see a cute puppy.

I couldnt have explained it better myself DB... Its so true... :)

Your with a friend talking about their little son/daughter to be... Gets the soppy mode going... an before ya know it... its happening the wandering hand goes straight for 'the belly' awwww... then you leave your hand there asking when's it gonna move/kick :hihi: its weird lol

BTW... I dont touch strangers pregnant bellies only friends... hmmm! i dont ask all the time for a touch :? but i will in future :wink:

Originally posted by DaBouncer

I think some people want to touch a pregnant belly cos it's like reflex action similar to saying 'aaaarrrrr' when you see a cute puppy.

Damn that [Edit] button, it was WWAAAAYYYY better before !

;)

I think this is very common everywhere. I didn't mind family or friends rubbing my belly, but strangers...ahem!

The only exception was when I was pregnant with my daughter. I went with some neighbors and their families to a flea market. This was in sort of a poorer area of town, and alot of the people there are spanish speaking.

An older woman walked up to me, and before I could say "hola", placed both her hands on my stomach, gently rubbed it, and said something to me in spanish. My spanish is so poor I hardly understood her. My neighbor (who spoke spanish) gave her some money and told me to thank her, which I did. The lady patted my face, and left.

My neighbor explained that this woman was a 'bruja', a witch, and she was blessing me and my baby.

Someone else said she shouldn't have done this, but I didn't mind. I'll take a blessing anytime I can get one! And there was something very calming and soothing about this lady. I swear I could feel the energy coming through her hands!

Would I ever put my hands on a stranger? Not unless invited, and maybe not even then.

When my children were infants, occasionally someone would ask to hold them. I always said no if I didn't know the person, and tried to be gentle, because I had the feeling they meant well, but there's no way I could let a stranger handle my child.

:) Sierra

I have had a few friends who have been preggars, and I have been asked to feel their bellies from time to time. I think that it is a natural thing to do, and I'm someone who doesn't like kids or have any paternal feelings at all. In fact to show how strange I am, I ususally become shocked and dissapointed when I hear that someone is pregnant.

Obviously you wouldn't do it to anyone who you didn't know that's at best, an invasion of privacy at worst assult.

I have been invited to do this on a number of times by the women in question, but one girl I know didn't like it and told me in no uncertain terms, which is fair enough.

For men this can be a very confusing issue and sometimes women have to be much less subtle with their male friends.