So you think you can touch my belly...

...just because I'm pregnant.

Okay, so no-one tries it on me cos they know I have a quick slap reflex, lol:suspect:. But loads of other pregnant women I've spoken to are feeling terrorised by people, even strangers, who think your tummy is fair game if there's a baby inside.

WHY??? Why do people feel it's all right to put their hand on someone else's tum?

Have you done it? Did you ask first? Do you think it's all right to just go up and slap your hand on a protruding pregnant belly?

Please someone explain this weird compulsion to me.

Cosy:confused:

I never got this either.....never done it to anyone else can't remember if anyone did that to me whilst I was preggers.

I think family felt compelled to.....but it was sort of okay for family...not complete strangers though.

Congrats on your Bump BTW :D

Moonie

I think it just gives them a cosy feeling, cosy. :P

I didn't want to touch my sisters belly when she was pregnant, the baby was very active and it reminded me of Alien too much.

Thanks, Moon!

No, I haven't even let my family near my belly, I'm so mean, lol. But I have had one person I hardly know come at me with hand out to touch, and I backed up feeling really shocked that they'd do that without asking. I've seen it happen to others a fair few times, too. But I just don't get it.

I really am liable to hit out, it's a reflex. I'm surprised there aren't more people lying prone at the feet of pregnant women, lol!

Originally posted by owdlad

I think it just gives them a cosy feeling, cosy. :P

If being tucked up in a hospital bed with a thick ear and a concussion is cosy, owdlad:P . LOL.

Originally posted by cosywolf

If being tucked up in a hospital bed with a thick ear and a concussion is cosy, owdlad:P . LOL.

I think some people want to touch a pregnant belly cos it's like reflex action similar to saying 'aaaarrrrr' when you see a cute puppy.

I must admit I have touched my friends pregnant belly's (not sure if I asked or not - but they didn't mind - I don't think).

However I can see where you're coming from and totally appreciate that you'd feel a little put off if someone did this.

I will make sure I for one remember this post in future before I go groping pregnant friends bellies. :lol:

How long is it till you pop then Cosy?

I know exactly how you feel and did tell all my family and friends to ask before touching, at the beginning, but at xmas it was v strange as I was more comfortable with my new shape and wanted my family to touch me!

Becoming pregnant does not mean your belly is public property! I have had two complete strangers come up to me with arms outstreched and have had to really bite my tongue, and restrain the old slapping arm!

It's wierd, cos as baby gets bigger, and I have got more used to it, I want to share the experience! Can't win!

Also I finish work on Friday, and use the tram twice a day at peak times and nobody has ever once stood up to let me sit down, or stopped barging past me to get on/off the tram. It didn't bother me to start with, but I'd really appreciate it at the end of the day and will certainly be more considerate to pregnant women in the future

Tell them to move, smellie...nicely at first of course:D. So far i haven't needed to, I always seem to be with someone who moves them for me, lol:hihi:

DB - hello sweetie, due to pop May 3rd. You can touch my belly, lol:P

Cosy

Originally posted by cosywolf

...just because I'm pregnant.

Okay, so no-one tries it on me cos they know I have a quick slap reflex, lol:suspect:. But loads of other pregnant women I've spoken to are feeling terrorised by people, even strangers, who think your tummy is fair game if there's a baby inside.

WHY??? Why do people feel it's all right to put their hand on someone else's tum?

Have you done it? Did you ask first? Do you think it's all right to just go up and slap your hand on a protruding pregnant belly?

Please someone explain this weird compulsion to me.

Cosy:confused:

My eldest sister was pregnant in 2003 and I must say I never felt compelled to feel her tummy even if she was carrying my gorgeous little niece who I now spoil absolutely rotten (take my responsibilities as uncle extremely seriously). Getting back on track... I wouldn't ever feel a pregnant woman's tummy unless invited to do so and then I still think I'd feel a bit odd doing it.

Originally posted by smellie1

[Also I finish work on Friday, and use the tram twice a day at peak times and nobody has ever once stood up to let me sit down, or stopped barging past me to get on/off the tram. It didn't bother me to start with, but I'd really appreciate it at the end of the day and will certainly be more considerate to pregnant women in the future [/b]

Tsk, sympathies there... my friend was pregnant in the summer and she fainted whilst stood up on the tram - a couple of people actually stepped over her so they could get off the tram! Luckily there were a couple of nice people around to help her up and make sure she was OK. After that, she just used to go and ask people if she could have their seat... no one ever refused!

I really don't understand this, and my wife felt "strange" about it happening too, especially as you say when strangers, or people you hardly know do it.

Mind you, it's not as weird as DB...

Originally posted by DaBouncer

similar to saying 'aaaarrrrr' when you see a cut puppy.

DB you say Ahhhh when you see a CUT puppy, does mutilating small animals make you feel warm inside, are you sick ?

;)