Rabbit needs a friend?

hi

i have a concerned friend, she currently has a rabbit that lives in the house, she lets it out to have a run round the kitchen every day, and everyone is pretty social with it. She is concerned because she feels (for whatever reason) that it will need to go outside in hutch when the weather warms up, and she is worried that the rabbit will get lonely outside as it wont be so involved in the family life. She wants to know if she can introduce a friend or guinea pig, shes had the rabbit 4 mths, as far as my rabbit knowledge goes I dont think she can, but if she can, how would she go about it?

thanks

It would depend on the sexes of the rabbits. I have introduced many does to a buck on his territory, but never the other way round, so cant comment on the reverse, but I know same sex intros are more difficult so I would go for opp sexes. Guinea Piga are a no no I am afraid as they have different dietary needs, rabbits are hardier than Guineas and also rabbits can injure Guineas with their back legs.

If you contact Sooz for expert help, she has a advertisement for her rabbit rescue at the top of the pets forum (members pet services). I am sure she can sort out a companion and also help with bonding.

You do also have to be careful when moving previously indoor rabbits to the outside as the temp change is quite drastic and they wont have shed a normal coat.

hope this helps

I introduced a young female to an older female last year successfully with sooz help. we placed them in cages next to each other for about a week then let them out together for a short while at a time. Eventually they were put into the same cage happily. They are both house rabbits and live in the house all year round.Sooz also directed me to a cool rabbit website

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/index.php

I hope the link works for you:)

hi

i have a concerned friend, she currently has a rabbit that lives in the house, she lets it out to have a run round the kitchen every day, and everyone is pretty social with it. She is concerned because she feels (for whatever reason) that it will need to go outside in hutch when the weather warms up, and she is worried that the rabbit will get lonely outside as it wont be so involved in the family life. She wants to know if she can introduce a friend or guinea pig, shes had the rabbit 4 mths, as far as my rabbit knowledge goes I dont think she can, but if she can, how would she go about it?

thanks

Hi my question is about another one of your threads- the russian dwarf hamster-is it still available-and where in sheffield are you?