What's the weirdest road in Sheffield?

The road from Oughtibridge up to High Bradfield used to be a bit disconcerting for strangers. Half way up Burton Lane you take a blind right bend and find yourself in a farmyard, - and with all the cow muck etc. it was hard to tell where exactly the road went.

Seen a few do a three point turn and head back down the hill :D

Originally posted by Greybeard

The road from Oughtibridge up to High Bradfield used to be a bit disconcerting for strangers. Half way up Burton Lane you take a blind right bend and find yourself in a farmyard, - and with all the cow muck etc. it was hard to tell where exactly the road went

Isn't that haggstones road at worral. There is a strange bend which just gets tighter and tighter <shiver>as if you are being sucked into a spiral, and there's little warning, and it's like being in the Prisoner, no escape. </shiver> :confused:

I would have to say Tom lane it is so boring its weird un its kinda long

My nomination for the weirdest road in Sheffield has got to be the Mosborough Parkway (I think they call it that). This is at the end where you join the Sheffield Parkway. The road surface is made up of waves, almost like a concrete sea. Probably the worst part is as you drive back up towards Woodhouse from the Sheffield Parkway. Your car gets a jerking as you hit some of the bumps. Council service vehicles keep appearing now and then,and the mandatory cones, but they must be preparing for a surf-boarding contest; as no changes or resurfacing are ever evident. It would probably all have to be gouged out and then filled with layer upon layer to make any impact.

My advice to the Council would be: "Don't make waves!"

Originally posted by Yodameister

Slightly different discussion to steepest road - which road gains most altitude from lowest point to highest point? (just residential - I think there might be some main roads that beat my nomination)

I'd vote Jenkin Road - and if I walk home from work, I walk the length (or should that be height) of it - good view at the top though.

Could be Jenkin, how abouty Prince of Wales Road, or City Road?

blake street or rivelin street got to be steepiest in sheffield

I don't know about the weirdest road, but that road that goes parallel to Whites Lane and finishes near the golf club at the Sheffield Road traffic lights is THE place to get abducted by aliens at night.

If they ever made such a film, that would be the place to shoot it.

I agree with one of the earlier posters ---Smithywood Road at Woodseats is pretty weird.Also there are some pretty weird roads leading from the Neepsend area and going up towards Shirecliffe and one or two others round there.

When I was a kid I also used to try and spot streets in the city that had absolutely no buildings on them , due to the Blitz . The only one I saw for years was a little street off Shoreham Street----I think it was called Margaret street---at least it began with "M" ---I think !

I would have to nominate Albert Road in Heeley/Meersbrook purely because it seems to change 'personalities' as you walk up it, different kinds of housing, trees in some places, gardens, no gardens...it's like walking up 3 or 4 different roads and it's HUGE

I used to live right at the top and it was well creepy walking up it late at night

My nomination for the weirdest road would be Cliff Road at walkley. If anyone has had the misfortune to go down that road in icy weather you'll know what I mean. As the name suggests it has to be the steepest residential road in the city.

Blake Street is seriously steep - although it has lost its truly weird title since the very weird Blake Hotel closed. Anyone know whether this dodgly little pub is going to open again?