Potty training megathread

My daughter is 4 1/2 and still wears nappies at night, but I'm starting to get worried that she's too old for this. However, she shows no signs whatsoever of being able to stay dry during the night. We have never had a dry nappy in the morning (although I do have my suspicions that she wets them quite a bit just before she wakes up). We've tried a couple of times to do without the nappies (once tried for a fortnight) but we were finding she had wet the bed within a couple of hours and so we would change her bedding and sit her on the loo but then she would be wet again in no time. She seemed oblivious to this and happily slept through in her wet bed. We went back to nappies cos she started to get a bit concerned about having to change her bed each morning - although we tried really hard not to make any kind of big deal about this.

So - are we doing anything wrong? Has anyone got any suggestions that we could try? and should we be worried yet (I read somewhere that we shouldn't worry til she's 5).

Our boy is 3y 11m and showing no signs of being dry at night. We tried once and just got a wet bed and a disturbed night. If he dozes off for a nap (doesnt nap any more usually) he sometimes wets. I just keep putting the pull ups on at night and I am waiting until we get a few dry ones.

My first two children were dry by this age but as it has been said before, they are all different.

i did it like freyas mom,,, my little lad is 3 next week and has been dry both day and night for at least 6 months, dont get me wrong he has had a few accidents but he knows when he needs a wee and gets up, i made sure he didnt drink after his tea (about 5) remind him constantly to go to the loo, make the same routine at bed time,, wash face/ bath, brush teeth, have wee, bed! i had to stop my little boy wearing pants at night time at first tho because it confused him alittle i havent trained any of my kids by using night time pull ups either just seem a waste of time! one day just stop using them altogether, even if it means they wet the bed for a week solid, buy a really good mattress protector and lots of washing powder!!

:help: my son has just turned 2 and im trying to pottytrain him but he is having none of it. i have tryed everything when we first got the potty he used it for the first 2 days every time but then nothing its like hes scaired of it.same as the pants. i got him pants with footballs on them cause he loves football and he wouldnt wee in them but afted about 3 days just started weeing in them. he knows when hes going to do it because he would rather bring me a nappy than sit on the potty. iv tryed taking him to the toilet as well but no i just cant think of anything eles. :help:

does he stand up? i taught my son to stand up and wee and put a ping pong ball in the potty and the toilet, he loved shooting at it :rolleyes::hihi:

I have two children, now 8 and 4. With the first, I thought it was really hard work, because I'd never had to do this before! With the second it was so laid back!! Just get your head around that you are going to have some little accidents for a while yet, and will have to put up with the mess and change while you are going through this stage of your child's life. It won't be for long, although at the moment it feels like eternity! Think "here we go again", and get on with it. Don't mean that to sound harsh, but chill out!! Good luck

I`m going through the same with my 2 year old, he won`t use the potty(but will sit on it or use it as a hat), he`ll go to the toilet and pretend to wee when his brothers or dad does, but he`d rather just fetch me a nappy when he knows he wants one. My eldest was very quick to learn, 2nd child took a bit longer, each child learns at different paces, just try not to make a big issue of it when he does have accidents and plenty of praise and treats when he manages it(I also found bribary works wonders).

The ping pong ball down the loo does work as an incentive to get them to use the loo, once you mange to stop the dirty little buggers fishing it out!

Good luck!!

when my sister in law was struggling with potty training her two girls they were doing the exact same things as your son

in the end we got a calender and some gold sticky stars and every time they used the toilet/potty they got star on the date on the calander and at the end of the week if they had more then say 8 stars they got a treat only a small treat a day out some sweets a book ect ect but it worked it took a while but it did work

good luck its not easy :thumbsup:

If he doesn't want to, don't make a big deal of it.

Wet/soiled pants will be more uncomfortable than pampers and so more likely to get him to the potty. More work for you though.

Girls are much easier than boys.

my son never used a potty he was scared of it and of being nappy free, i am a great believer in 'when they are ready' he turned 3 and with lots of encouragment and praise he just started using the toilet and said he wasn't wesring nappies as he was a big boy, he's only ever has 2 accidents none at night. Nursery really helped watching all the other kids weeing and pooing ect.

mini sav is potty training, i not pushing her, just leave her with pants and potty out. she has accidents and i dont say bad or anything, just show her potty. she is coming on a treat and will be letting nursery take over soon.

just let him take it as his own pace, i introduced the potty about a year ago (she is just 2) and not forced her, he will let you know when he is ready by asking for it

my son never used a potty.. i am a great believer in 'when they are ready' he turned 3 and with lots of encouragment and praise he just started using the toilet.. Nursery really helped

Seconded! At two its very possible he is just not ready yet - who decided it was time to 'potty train' - was it him, or you? :)

:help: my son has just turned 2 and im trying to pottytrain him but he is having none of it. i have tryed everything when we first got the potty he used it for the first 2 days every time but then nothing its like hes scaired of it.same as the pants. i got him pants with footballs on them cause he loves football and he wouldnt wee in them but afted about 3 days just started weeing in them. he knows when hes going to do it because he would rather bring me a nappy than sit on the potty. iv tryed taking him to the toilet as well but no i just cant think of anything eles. :help:

Its very early days. Give him a bit longer. They are all different. We didnt get there with my grandson until he was 3. By that time he was old enough to understand rewards etc and we made him a sticker chart which was very effective. I tried the book which states you can potty train in a week (is it Gina Ford or somebody). The underlying ideas are ok but you cant do it in a week.