Sign in to follow this  

How do I change CPU Clock speed?

I have an Asus A7V-E motherboard with an 800 Athlon chip. For some reason it's detecting as a 900 and it won't run stable.

I've looked in the manual and I can't find anything whatsoever about how to change the cpu speed. Can anyone help me please?

http://www.asus.com/pub/asus/mb/socka/kt133/a7v-e/a7ve-101.pdf

Have you looked in the bios and played around with some settings.

Not familar with over-clocking myself.

a word of warning! - dont mes around with your BIOS settings unless you know exactly what you are doing!!

umm speaking from experience! I did that and lost my operating system, had to call an engineer out - cost me £70.00!!

Seems odd, as the operating system is on your hard drive and therefore should not be affected by changing the bios settings, as the bios settings are actually held on the motherboard itself, and is powered by a battery. You may have disturbed the MBR, but then that is always recoverable.

However if you do change something, and your computer falls over, it is very easy to just change it back to the default settings, or take the battery out to default it to its settings.

Is the voltage correct for the CPU?

Most CPUs will be frequency locked, unless you bought a special unlocked version. Most BIOS types auto detect the FSB and multiplier options, although some allow a limited control. You may be able to reduce your FSB setting. Is it a socket A or Slot A athlon. If your sure it hasnt been modified check the heatsinking.

Also, regarding the other point , changing your BIOS options to such a state thats its unstable, ie dram timing, could potentially cause it to crash while writing to the hard disk, which in theory could cause windows to fail to load.

I was thinking more of the multiplier on the CPU bus...

Have you upgraded the CPU at all?

Best thing would be to do what Skatiechik suggested, with the motherboard battery, but instead of pulling it out check your manual & find the "clear CMOS" jumper. (usually the 3 pin one nearest the battery in most Asus mobos, move the plastic jumper across to clear then put back again). If you clear the CMOS it'll put everything back to fail-safe defaults...

If you are unsure ask a geek, & first UNPLUG IT!!!

I'm a geek lol. I've sorted it now, there was a jumper on the mother board to set the CPU speed manually. Still not fixed my problem :(

Also no operating system is on, that's my problem. When I try installing it errors copying files. I think it may be memory.

What are the jumper positions on the motherboard. Setting the CPU is described on page 17 of the manual.

I'm not sure about your particular processor, but you would usually set the frequency (P18) to 100Mhz and the multiplier (P19) to 8. This would give 100*8=800 (Mhz)