Unofficial S.F. Monthly photo comp?

So I have to win before we get to do squirrels then???

Maybe I better start looking at macro lenses in case Hemlock wins a round!! :hihi:

Well if it's squirrels, I don't stand a chance!!:hihi:

... What do people want the copyright notice to say?

A simple "© rights reserved" in one corner would do wouldn't it?

So I have to win before we get to do squirrels then??? ...

I got a couple of squirrels shots ready to go....

... or are we going to stipulate they must be new pics taken for the comp?

... or are we going to stipulate they must be new pics taken for the comp?

I think we need to formulate some rules along those lines including issues such as how much shopping is allowed in the pics etc?

I don't see how we can stipulate new photos, unless the photo had the exif data with it how could we know? If the exif was included it would give the camera model and then the ones of us who go on photo meets could have a fair guess who took it.

As for photoshop I'm not sure what I think, I use it to alter the levels in my photos but thats all. I suppose if altered photos kept on winning it could be argued that people who don't have any editing software are at a disadvantage.........discuss.

As for the 'shopping/Gimpin' .... I'd say allow moderate colour changes/tweaks and perhaps cropping but that's it.

Everyone can do that, that way we don't end up with a 'best manipulator of images' competition ;)

Maybe that could run along side?

As for the 'shopping/Gimpin' .... I'd say allow moderate colour changes/tweaks and perhaps cropping but that's it.

Everyone can do that, that way we don't end up with a 'best manipulator of images' competition ;)

Maybe that could run along side?

I think that would be a useful sub competition. I love the look of some HDR photography and the like, but also like to see some people's imagination run wild on the pics(:

I still need to setup the watermarking feature on the site. Could somebody with a bit of knowledge make one for us? It needs to be a PNG file with a transparent background that Gallery can overlay. There is an option for each uploaded to add their own watermark, but I suggest that might help identify people.

People can then register on the gallery (using a username of their choice that SHOULDN'T be linked to an SF username!) and upload their photos. Would some people mind registering and testing the system by uploading some pictures? I need to make sure that, and the ratings work (:

I've just thought of a flaw in the plan.

How can we know who has won? If the winner is named, that alias username is no good anymore.

That sounds ok to me,just a bit of tweak allowed! :D

Can it be set to show the filename of the image rather than who submitted the file ?

I've just thought of a flaw in the plan.

How can we know who has won? If the winner is named, that alias username is no good anymore.

I think...

Gallery doesn't show other members who uploaded the photos (or at least not how I've got it set up), so other members won't see who uploaded the photo, and it'll take a bit of jiggery pokey for ME to see who uploaded the photo. So the only person who needs to know the username (because I could contact them via the email provided on their registration) is me. Then we can announce the SF username on here, and it'll stay anonymous.

Does that work? Or is there a flaw there too?

edit: I guess people could actually register with their SF usernames in that case...

Can it be set to show the filename of the image rather than who submitted the file ?

I think Gallery2 does that by default.