Unofficial S.F. Monthly photo comp?

Just an idea, but here goes..........

As the weather is going to probably turn for the better,and lighter evenings are around the corner;how about little monthy competition just for us forum members? Could suggest a monthly theme and go off and post our best efforts.

Example topics: (South Yorkshire themed)

Steel Architecture

Water

Transport

Buildings

Winner gets a pat on the back from other Forum members!

Thoughts/Comments?

I've been thinking along the same lines myself but cannot think of a workable format, to make the competition work the photos would, in my opinion, have to be submitted annonomously so that people have to vote on the photograph that they like best, not influenced by knowing that the photographer was a pro or not.

Something like a non photographer somehow collecting all entrys and putting them all in an album so no one except them knows who took what.

Problem with that is who would want to accept and open files from people they don't know?

Anyway, a great idea Andy, I'm up for it.

Dave..

If there is a way to do it, I would be interested in partaking, how about an upload area, sizes could be restricted to keep space to a minimum they could be kept anonymous and we could look at ways to vote on them?

N.

Maybe if one of us opens an account with Photobucket or Picasa or something and then PMs the login details to anyone on the forum who wants to submit entries... ? Could be limited to known photo section contributors that way.

What about voting for the best pic? would either of these allow this? Or I guess it could be done with a poll on here? Worth looking at?

Hi! Just come back from hols. Sounds like a good idea. I don't mind doing any admin etc. that would be needed to make it work. I agree it needs to be anonymous, all photos in one area & a poll for the voting. Opening photobucket a/c or similar sounds like a good idea. We could post 1st 2nd & 3rd enties each month. We could even link it with some photo meets if people wanted! That way subjects etc. could be discussed over a pint!

It would need someone - or 2 or 3 people to co-ordinate it otherwise it would just fizzle out.

so, I'm up for it - anyone else?

I don't mind mucking in, but I'd also like to take part, so if it is difficult to do both, I will have to decide which :)

I've been involved in a "web community" monthly photo competition... To make the results fair, each person who submits an image is allow x number of votes, eg 1 point awarded to 4th favourite image - through to 4 points for 1st favourite.

Fairly easy to administer, even if the person administering the competition knows which photos were submitted by which photographer.

I've been involved in a "web community" monthly photo competition... To make the results fair, each person who submits an image is allow x number of votes, eg 1 point awarded to 4th favourite image - through to 4 points for 1st favourite.

Fairly easy to administer, even if the person administering the competition knows which photos were submitted by which photographer.

Could you explain this a little better? Do you mean that each person that submits an image gets say 10 points to award to other pictures? So the one they feel is the best gets 4 points, 2nd best is 3 points down to 1 point? Also how do you control the points?

Thanks

N.

I could easily set up a gallery (provided by gallery) on my webhosting. Require people to register, and then allow people to rate photos (1-10) and then the top rated photo wins at the end of the month..

It wouldn't be a problem space wise and bandwidth wise and would love to contribute something here (:

I could easily set up a gallery (provided by gallery) on my webhosting. Require people to register, and then allow people to rate photos (1-10) and then the top rated photo wins at the end of the month..

It wouldn't be a problem space wise and bandwidth wise and would love to contribute something here (:

That sounds great Hook.

That sounds great! Looks like NeoGen, Hook & myself are up for organising this. Are you up for organising Hockbear & Grinderbloke, or just the idea?

Perhaps if those interested in organising sorted out the nitty gritty together, then posted the details when there was something concrete?