Memories of Wigfalls

hi razor54, thanks for your reply!!do you also remember the cricket team? they were quite good, used to play at Longley Park some real characters among them one in particular was Sid Fierman who was in charge of the maintenance crew!

Sorry val I didn't play for the cricket team just football, good luck with your enquiries hope you get a good response

Just found this site. Brought back some memories. I worked for Wigfalls, Bruce Works, Mobray Street from 1962 to 1972, (I think) Left and joined the West Yorkshire Police. Harold S Crownshaw. was the work bench manager and his understudy was Albert Cole. Is this thread still active?

Regarding Roy, could be Roy Crampton, he lived at the top of Rutland Rd., until he married then moved out to Chapeltown. He and John Moore operated Moore and Crampton in Ecclesfield. I believe Roy retired to live in Spain, and the last I heard John was still running the business.

A guy named Morell, can't remember his first name, married one of Wigfalls daughters, and became a company director. He drove a Jag XK 120 for his sins.

Crampton and Moore still have a rather large shop at 109/11 High Street Ecclesfield. It's a good shop too.

Edited by Nigel Womersle

Just found this site. Brought back some memories. I worked for Wigfalls, Bruce Works, Mobray Street from 1962 to 1972, (I think) Left and joined the West Yorkshire Police. Harold S Crownshaw. was the work bench manager and his understudy was Albert Cole. Is this thread still active?

Hi OLD WIGGYMAN 1worked at Wigfalls in 1955 as a T V tech, I remember the chaps you mentioned as well as some of the other tech's in particular one guy who was the son in law of the owner of Fletcher's bakery, I did most of my work on outside service driving an old Trojan van , but I left when I got married and moved to Southampton. after a few years with Rentaset & Radio Rentals I was posted to Australia to help with the introduction of colour, and I have been here ever since. I still think of Sheffield and Wigfalls where I got my start in

T V

Remember few who worked Mowbray St, Harry Berry Trans, Mrs Fletcher,Brian Whiteley,Bill Cannon,Stuart Varley, Roy Surr, Ted Peters, Willis South, Met Willis Crown Green Bowling few years ago sadly he passed away last year.

---------- Post added 16-09-2017 at 08:10 ----------

Do you rember George Heathcote,Jack Beechill.

hi razor54, thanks for your reply!!do you also remember the cricket team? they were quite good, used to play at Longley Park some real characters among them one in particular was Sid Fierman who was in charge of the maintenance crew!

I played in a couple of their midweek games around 1969. I do recollect that as you say the standard was high and some of their players also played for Rotherham Town in the Yorkshire league and also a wandering team that play away friendlies called the Sheffield Engineers. Despite turning up players short nearly every week, the star batsmen used to nearly always knock the runs conceded off; apart from when they met an even stronger British Steel team containing Salahuddin, who had toured with the 1962 Pakistan team before settling in Sheffield.

---------- Post added 25-09-2017 at 21:44 ----------

Apologies that I hadn't picked up on this post before.

For the limited amount of time I was involved, the cricket team was run by Len Marney who was based at Mowbray Street. Can’t remember his Christian name but there was also a very pleasant fellow whose surname I think was Robinson, who was also based there.

The format was matches of 14 eight ball overs innings, with the fastest bowler bowling down a hill with trees behind him as darkness fell, for which Longley Park was perfectly suited.

A bowler named Cliff Handley was very quick indeed (at that level). The team was captained by a batsman of quality named Peter Ardron. Both of whom played for Rotherham Town in the Yorkshire League , and for the Sheffield Engineers wandering team, who had a friendly fixture list against respected league clubs in Lincolnshire and Notts .

Like most other teams in the league, they suffered from player unavailability due to shift patterns. But other players of the same Yorkshire League / Council standard were often drafted in, and I can only recollect the team being beaten once (by BSC).

Other players I recollect wre Norman Smith (who I think may have been based at Rutland Road) and Mick Renshaw who was based in the furniture warehouse at Walker Street. They they were often umpired by Michael Beck (who was based at the computer centre at Walker Street/ Brunswick Road) , who incurred greater wrath than that Sir Geoffrey was later to receive, after raising his finger to give an up and coming Derek Randall out lbw for a low score at Retford, whilst on officiating duty for the Engineers !

Happy days.

The fire was my girlfriend's fault. We had a flat together and hired a twin-tub washing machine from Wigfalls. But it was forever breaking down and so my future wife let out an exasperated curse 'I hope the buggers burn down'... and they did! She did the same to a dress shop in Leicester, a few years later and they burned down too! Thankfully, we're divorced now.

I started my first job at 15 with Wigfalls in the Wicker in the office, all the men who worked in collections each area had a manager and secretary and a assistant i worked with a Mr Millett, cant recall the other names i was young and the men would call me half pint cause i was a little think fresh out of school, i did enjoy the job

Hi Josie, I worked at Wiggys in Hillsborough about 1956 think you worked under the archers off the Wicker Walker St. collectors I remember Mr Wild,Mr Foyle, Mr Mitchell,,great firm to work for. Barry.

You also had a club singer, a tenor I believe but I can't remember his name. I think everyone knew Charlie Pepper.

My great grandfather worked for wigfalls and did sing in the clubs as well - his name was William (Billy) Butler

Hi Josie, I worked at Wiggys in Hillsborough about 1956 think you worked under the archers off the Wicker Walker St. collectors I remember Mr Wild,Mr Foyle, Mr Mitchell,,great firm to work for. Barry.

Hi Barry yes thats right it was on Walker St right at the end before the bend, when we had a half day on Thursday we all would go to the Peacock a Chines place for lunch. I thought i was all grown up lol that was so many years and so much water under the bridge i left sheffield in 1973 and live in Miami Florida used to go home every year but after my mom died only been back twice since 2007 maybe we will do one more trip before we get to old lol nice talking to you