Memories of Wigfalls

Am I right in remembering there was a Wigfalls in Darnall (around where the Wilkinsons is now) back in the 70s/80s? I'm sure there was an old advert for Wigfalls on one of the buildings around there (possibly down towards Attercliffe), but I think that may have gone now...

It was a great shop to visit as a kid, particularly the Fitzalan Square store... I got my first stereo/cd player from there!

Where are all the mechanics who worked in the garage at Mowbray St

Am I right in remembering there was a Wigfalls in Darnall (around where the Wilkinsons is now) back in the 70s/80s? I'm sure there was an old advert for Wigfalls on one of the buildings around there (possibly down towards Attercliffe), but I think that may have gone now...

It was a great shop to visit as a kid, particularly the Fitzalan Square store... I got my first stereo/cd player from there!

Didn't know they had CD players in 1984 which is when Wiggys in Fitzalan Square burned down.

Hi, I remember in the early 1960s a chap called Mr foyle who used to come around on Friday evenings collecting the weekly payments, he always had a fist full of cash (notes) enough to choke a donkey, and a pocket full of buscuits that he used to give your dog so that he could get into your kitchen, oh and a dirty old flashers mac, but a very nice chap, you could go out and leave the money on top of the fridge, he would sign the book and lock the door on the way out.
Yes - Walter Foyle (see my post #29). He was indeed a very nice chap - medium height, smoked a pipe, always wore a trilby hat. Eventually he began to suffer from an arthritic hip and retired a couple of years early. After losing his wife Ethel he went to live with his daughter in Worksop. I just looked on ancestry.co.uk - he died aged 86 in 1994.

When I worked at Walsh's in the early seventies we had a driver at the tv service dept called 'Charlie', he used to tell some good stories of when he was a 'chauffeur' for someone at Wiggys, anyone remember him?, also anyone remember a Mrs Needham who worked behind the cash counter at wiggys on Langsett Rd (?) she passed away some years ago I believe, she had a daughter called Shelagh.

When we were courting in the 70s, my husband worked for a short time at the Darnall branch ( electrical ) At one time too,think it was in the 70s my mother in law ( Irene ) worked in the offices just off the wicker.

I am writing a book about the changes in the retail TV & radio trade since the war.

As I am sure those of you over a certain age will recall,high streets used to be full of a large number of retail and rental TV chains.

Sheffield had the Head Office of Wigfalls, as well as a number of their stores.

(In fact, they had 100 branches in 1985.)

I am trying to contact anyone who worked for them, and gather as much information as possible about the company.

I know they took over Curry's, and assumed the better-known Curry's name, and that they, in turn, were absorbed by Dixons.

However, I would also like anecdotes, and trivia items, plus, especially, any human interest stories.

Recollections about them, of any type are welcomed.

If anyone has any such information, please contact me by PM, or email to: alan "at" alanstepney.info

Of course, some of you may have memories that others in your local area might appreciate, so why not post them here too?

The same applies to any of the other "high street" multiple tv outlets.

If you worked for any of them, please get in touch. Particularly if you were involved in the tehcnical side.

Thanks.

Any news on the book yet?.

Where are all the mechanics who worked in the garage at Mowbray St

Good question I cannot remember any names but I do remember when working on Mr Morrells Rolls fitting a speaker to the rear parcel shelf I had to crawl into the boot to hold it in place and fit the nuts some kind member of the garage team closed the boot lid trapping me inside. There were some evil people at Mowbray Street. Thank heavens most were not.

jiginc

Wiggies!!! My dad worked at rutland rd has an apprentice-must have been around mid 50's? as back in them day's he told you left school at 14! which he was at woodside. quite handy rutland rd,for him having been brought up on platt st-neepsend in the earley 1940's. has for myself i remember a wigfall's store on infirmary rd, from recollection on or around where windsor's shoe shop is today. must have been mid 80's? i always remember going one fri morning-to buy a atari console-this different in colour to the original black ones (2600) model. upon getting home huge dissapointment!! didn't work correctly, myself around aged 12 or so at that time? when my dad found out he carted me along with himself back down to wiggies-so the manager-much to my delight he told me to choose 10 free games for the trouble's caused...my dad on reflection telling me he wish he hadn't done this..reason the endless times he told me to turn my atari off, so he could re-connect our tv allowing him to watch the new's!! lol. WIGGIES-SURELY AN INSTITUTION FOR MANY A SHEFFIELDE'R...

Wigfalls.... im looking for people who may remember my dad Dick Brierley, he was assistant manager at Spital H

ill shop from1950"s to to 1975

Used to play football for wigfalls in the early 70,s remember having quite a good team with some great mates