Memories of Wigfalls

Regarding Roy Crampton He lived 2doors from Wigfalls old service department on Rutland Rd wich was between Stanly tools and Browns Shop. F.C.B Morrell known as Frank He drove a yellow E Type Jag and after that a Aston Martin He had two sons who became directors later

hi roy

you taught me to drive in the old bedford van

failed twice .remember passenger seat an old stool

tied to the back of the cab

like to get in touch ray bradshaw

Regarding Roy Crampton He lived 2doors from Wigfalls old service department on Rutland Rd wich was between Stanly tools and Browns Shop. F.C.B Morrell known as Frank He drove a yellow E Type Jag and after that a Aston Martin He had two sons who became directors later

hi roy

you taught me to drive in the old bedford van

failed twice .remember passenger seat an old stool

tied to the back of the cab

like to get in touch ray bradshaw

where are you living now

Hi razablade

Great to hear from you. We now live at Spilsby 14 miles from Skegness we moved from the coast 4 years ago. Had a contect from Joe Worton this week told me about the coffee mornings will try to get to the next one. I have been looking on the forum for about a year but nothing showed up then it all hapens this week.I do remember the old van we would not get away with it now loose seat!I had to sit in that while you were driving. I remember you introducing me to golf well still at it tramping the coarse 3times a week. I will send you a email via forum then you can get my e mail.

best wishes to you and your family.

Roy

Hi razablade

Great to hear from you. We now live at Spilsby 14 miles from Skegness we moved from the coast 4 years ago. Had a contect from Joe Worton this week told me about the coffee mornings will try to get to the next one. I have been looking on the forum for about a year but nothing showed up then it all hapens this week.I do remember the old van we would not get away with it now loose seat!I had to sit in that while you were driving. I remember you introducing me to golf well still at it tramping the coarse 3times a week. I will send you a email via forum then you can get my e mail.

best wishes to you and your family.

Roy

hi roy thanks for replying i see joe at the coffee mornings

i could try to get over there now im retired

we are all o/k boys turned forty now simon lives

on the isle of wight so we dont see very often

but ashley in sheffield. i see malc ashton and he goes to the coffee

mornings. golfing tomorrow but on my own.

you heard that B K S is not to well and barbara died last year

very sad. any way speak to you soon being called for tea

PS hope you and your are all well

Bradlesbyrings as BKS WOULD SAY

(I worked for British relay on the Moor from 1967 just after they took over Snelsons [Derbyshire Lane head office]British Relay was taken over by Visionhire in 1978, I was the manager of the Visionhire shop in Angel St when the Wigfalls shop in Fitzallen Square burnt down that was around 1985,in 1988 Granada took over Visionhire plus Der and Radio Rentals around that time, i survived at a number of branches until redundancy in 1997 at 58 brilliant, we had a party paid for plus gifts and a weeks pre leaving holiday for the wife and i in Torquay.shortly after that all the shops closed down.)- Hutch

I worked with you & one of your other staff I am still friends with to this day- Diane Grocock. Not seen you for years. Tracey

Edited by Traceyd
Didn't show persons name who posted- hutch

I worked for British relay on the Moor from 1967 just after they took over Snelsons [Derbyshire Lane head office]British Relay was taken over by Visionhire in 1978, I was the manager of the Visionhire shop in Angel St when the Wigfalls shop in Fitzallen Square burnt down that was around 1985,in 1988 Granada took over Visionhire plus Der and Radio Rentals around that time, i survived at a number of branches until redundancy in 1997 at 58 brilliant, we had a party paid for plus gifts and a weeks pre leaving holiday for the wife and i in Torquay.shortly after that all the shops closed down.:hihi:

I worked with you & one of your other staff I am still friends with to this day- Diane Grocock. Not seen you for years. All the best to you & your wife. I'm now living in Africa- Tracey

ps remember the jokes we used to pull on you? Those were the glory days- a real laugh

Hello Tracey, nice to hear from you, now 71 but enjoying life we have been down at our daughters place in Linc,s lots to do keeping me busy.

AFRICA, always knew that you would go far but not that far,must be your cheek that drives you on.

Regards Shirley/ Roy.

I drove a lorry for Wigfalls property repair. Under Sid Fearman around 1971. I must have visited every property that Wigfalls owned. Including the Morrell & Earnshaw Family homes and young Henry Wigfall himself.

Didn't the building catch fire sometime in the late 80's early 90's?

I worked For Sid, I drove the Lorry for the property maintainence side of the Wigfall bussiness.

Yes it did but I had left by then so I can't be blamed for that LOL

I am writing a book about the changes in the retail TV & radio trade since the war.

As I am sure those of you over a certain age will recall,high streets used to be full of a large number of retail and rental TV chains.

Sheffield had the Head Office of Wigfalls, as well as a number of their stores.

(In fact, they had 100 branches in 1985.)

I am trying to contact anyone who worked for them, and gather as much information as possible about the company.

I know they took over Curry's, and assumed the better-known Curry's name, and that they, in turn, were absorbed by Dixons.

However, I would also like anecdotes, and trivia items, plus, especially, any human interest stories.

Recollections about them, of any type are welcomed.

If anyone has any such information, please contact me by PM, or email to: alan "at" alanstepney.info

Of course, some of you may have memories that others in your local area might appreciate, so why not post them here too?

The same applies to any of the other "high street" multiple tv outlets.

If you worked for any of them, please get in touch. Particularly if you were involved in the tehcnical side.

Thanks.

I see this is an old topic but my dad was a driver Malcolm Miller in the 80's and funnily enough my manageress Yvonne Dunn, who is married to Robert Dunn who also repaired tv's for wiggies, was my dads manageress in the 80's. Isnt the world a funny place. If you need any contact details for them then pm me