Memories of Wigfalls

Hi there,

I'm Peter Hemmingfield who used to be the Legal Department Manager.

I remember my times at Wigfalls very fondly and also my memories of those who worked with me, including Ellen Barnes (who I had a "soft spot" for!)

Christine and me got divorced in about 1981/82 and I have seen her since when she won "The Weakest Link" on BBC!

I'm now Manager of a Debt Advice Team at a firm of Sheffield solicitors.

Love to all that know/knew me (especially Ellen!)

My Husband david martin started at wigfalls at 15years old he worked with dennis morrell he taught him the tv.trade his brother barrie also was an engineer other names I remember were Bernard Bamforth.Paul Feirman Roy Surr,Willis,Paul,Jock.My Grandmother used to clean for the Morrells does anyone remember the dinner dances at the City Hall put on by Wigfalls at Christmas?Also Brian Egglington he was a salesman.They were a good company to work for
The dances were held at the Cutlers Hall were they hired both floors, I do remember Brian Eggington have not seen him for years.

Yes it was the cutlers always get those two mixed up Brian died over a year ago nice bloke

S buckly, I was an agent for the Pearl, on King St, paying-in day, saw the whole thing. Glad no-one killed.

Patrice21457 My Uncle Willis is very much alive and kicking! I was with him a couple of weeks ago at my twin uncles 70th birthday party.He lives at Mosborough with his wife Josie.He has 2 children and 4 grandchildren.I'll pass on your hello. (:

Willis was a workmate of mine in he 60s He was our best man at our wedding. Please pass on our best regards Roy & Hilary Brown

hi all,

i left school in 1983 and did my yts with wigfalls based at fitzallen square, i was actually in the building when the fire happened, i was 17 and it was the most frightening experience i have had, if you can remember it was on 5 floors with a staircase in the middle of the building, the fire started on the lower ground which was the furniture department, by the time all customers had been cleaared out of the shop, it was well alight and the flames were rushing up the staircase, about 6 of us had to break the front doors open as the fire was causing a vacuum inside the building, luckily i dont remember anyone being seriously hurt, 1 gentleman did get some light facial burns i think, after the fire i was redeployed to other branches in sheffield which were, haymarket, the moor, firth park, darnall, woodseats rd and hillsborough. i cant rememeber names but they did have some characters, i remember 1 chap who used to be in the music scene and actually brought the human league in one day and a guy named john who i saw later in dixons on the moor he was a nice chap must be near retirement now i think?

I did my YTS at wigfalls 1981, and I remember after 6 months I asked my Manager if there was a job, to this day I still hear her words "Oh no we have to get another YTS my boss says it is so great we can get people for free"

I vaguely remember Wigfalls but I worked for Radio Rentals for many years during the 1980s and early 90s. I started as a trainee in their area office and rose to the heady heights of Shop/Service Manager. They were boom times with new technology arriving every week, Teletext, Nicam Stereo etc and the unreliability of audio/video guaranteed healthy rental accounts. We were very well trained and were committed to being customer service orientated. We had a fab array of uniforms over the years and brilliant sales incentives. I won a trip on the Orient Express among other goodies and it was deemed quite a glamourous job. I left to become a sales rep for a newspaper (more glamourous) and eventually ended up teaching (very un-glamourous). I never thought at the time that technology would become a throw away thing but they were happy days and we had a lot of fun. The techs were always hugely respected and customers would ring up and ask for their favourite man to mend their telly.

I have an old dear friend who worked in Wigfalls Fitzallen Square. Pete Mc Call. Any one know him? Not sure how many years he was there but certainly at the time of the fire. He gave me some receipts that had been found from in the remains of the retauraunt at the side after the fire. They were in pounds, shillings and pence. Still saved them to this day.

I was a TV engineer at Wigfalls service dept at Mowbray St. from 1956 to 1978 - leaving to join Racal Electronics. Arthur Sanderson was manager but after an illness was put in charge of outside servicing and Harold Crownshaw became inside service manager. Albert Coe was a manager of all things re running the place and Mrs Platts was the office manager.

The team leaders were ;- Ron Brightmore, Ron Heathcote, Bernard Wachinewsky Eric Bland and Harold Hill. I was fortunately allocated to Eric Bland and we remained friends up to his death last year. He was a super chap and I never heard a bad word about him.

Bernard Wachinewsky was Polish and kept in touch with Eric from USA. Eric, Bernard and I used to go to a local park to play tennis and took it in turn to pay for court use. When it was Bernard's turn to pay I watched eagerly to see how the attendant would cope with Wachinewsky and was shaken when, asked for his name, Bernard answered SMITH!

One person on this thread implied Mr Morrel was using the profits buying a jag. I cannot remember anyone else thinking that, in fact it made the firm seem more classy, especially when he later had an Etype. To my knowledge everyone at Mowbray street was happy and we had no worries until after Mr Morrel and Mr Kenneth retired.

On 5th April I organised a coffee morning for ex Wigfalls staff, - and friends from Mowbray St. Rutland Rd. Walker St,and shop managers etc came. It was great to see so many old friends and everyone seemed to enjoy it. We shall meet again later in the year.

Hi Joe14W

I also was a engineer for Wiglalls from 1952-75 I rember all the names as they were my work mates also. I first met Eric Bland as a very young apprentice and was told to go and help him deliver a radio gram. Can you imagine my surprise to find he had only one arm.

I will keep a look out for your next meeting date as I no longer live in the Sheffield area.

Regards RB

Hi Scrunit

Trying to remember a name to fit R B gave me a headache till I had the sence to go to your posts. So! my old golfing partner, how goes it? Your young apprentice, Ray B, attends the coffee mornings and we often speak of you and wonder how you are. I phoned B K S a while back to invite him to the coffee morning but his wife was very ill (she has since died) and he is in poor health.

It would be great to see you at the next coffee morning, which will probably be in August; we are there from 10am to 12 noon many of your friends will be there. The garage lads always come and sit together - I have almost to kick them out at 12! Do you remember Cyril Blackburn who often dished out petrol? Well that old desert rat came (I believe he is about 87 or more) and was as lively as ever.

Give my regards to Hilary, you will both be most welcome at the August do.

Joe W

SCRUNIT

Coouldn’t understand that user name - only came up with

SENIR CITIZENS RETIREMENT unit

So - tried it vertically

Senior Citizens Retirement Unit?

Can’t see Roy joining that!

Remember him as spry as a rabbit

Unless he’s now bald neath his hat

Now he’s in touch with old workmates

In August in Sheffield He’ll meet

The Mowbray St gang - now complete