Memories of Wigfalls

Regarding Roy, could be Roy Crampton, he lived at the top of Rutland Rd., until he married then moved out to Chapeltown. He and John Moore operated Moore and Crampton in Ecclesfield. I believe Roy retired to live in Spain, and the last I heard John was still running the business.

A guy named Morell, can't remember his first name, married one of Wigfalls daughters, and became a company director. He drove a Jag XK 120 for his sins.

Regarding Roy Crampton He lived 2doors from Wigfalls old service department on Rutland Rd wich was between Stanly tools and Browns Shop. F.C.B Morrell known as Frank He drove a yellow E Type Jag and after that a Aston Martin He had two sons who became directors later

Does the name Fiermann, or Fearman, mean anything to anyone? I think there were two of them, father and son, employed on building maintenance or something based, at Rutland Road. I think the son's name was Sidney.

JackFiermann father Sid the son did all the building work. the were two rough diamonds. They had a joiners shop at Mowbray street and later moved to the old flour mill in the wicker

When I worked at Wigfalls Mobray St workshop we had a gentleman called Stan. Stan was the original laid back guy.

Stan worked in the radio repair shop but was moved upstairs to the TV department.

My boss wrote a little ditty about this and I can still remember it 50 years later.

At last he’s gone and oh what glee

They need our Stan to mend TV’s.

But will he work not on your Nelly

You’ll find our Stan sat watching telly.

Sad or what.

Was your boss named John Freeman and Stan Butler Lived at Stannington

I.B.A.I.S.A.I.C. Part 2.

Here are some additions to my o.p. from my time at Mowbray Street in the early 70's. Names to add are Keith Bailey (television engineer), Clifford (spotty kid with spex)(warehouse), Mr (Frank?) Westerby (yard organizer) and the French polishers (they were British in reality) used to magically renovate (touch up) telly cabinets and radiograms to make them look brand new again, I forget their names and they were based at Walker Street. I worked on the odd occasion with Dennis Cerrone delivering to houses repaired or new tellies and he lived in the Meersbrook area (I won't say name of street), he was very popular with the housewives and with a least one lass in the office in Mowbray Street (Doreen). I saw a photo in The Star some years ago and he had certainly changed. Gone was the strange coloured straggly hair to the shoulders and he most certainly wasn't slim any more but this was something like 25 years plus after those days at Wigfall's.

Dennis was (is) a good type and I was surprised when he declared he was interested in becoming a bobby, not that I have anything against them. Dennis will be about 60 now. His regular van lad was Ian 'Knuckles' (not fingers) Halliwell. Another driver at Mowbray St was a bulky bloke called Dale and I thought him a pillock so let's move on.

My main driver was Mick Headford, a reight nice chap who originated from near Hastings in Sussex. Mick had come out of the army and I don't know why he came to Sheffield but I was glad he had. Mick lived with his missus on Greenland Road for a while then they relocated to Bradfield Road. We worked delivering to homes in the afternoons, in poor areas we always got a cuppa and often a tip, and in the affluent areas we only got a "Please take off your shoes before you come in". Ugh! In those days delivery and tuning the telly in was free of charge unlike today's money grabbers. In the mornings we dealt with collecting from the Wigfall's shops and bringing back to the depot for delivery or repair electrical goods. Mick and I would always find time to go to a cafe for a snack usually Joe's on Regent Street (who said pie), or sometimes a cafe at Manor Top (close to library) on Ridgeway Road. Now and again Mick would bring his black dog Bess to work and she would travel with us all day. Hotdawg!

Down Darnall one day we arrived at the carpark at the traffic lights on Main Road and I jumped out of the van to direct Mick backing up toward the corner nearest to the shop. Whilst reversing he couldn't see to one side and a car driven by a bird rudely nipped in to the space and I thought 'I'll teach you' and carried on directing Mick until the inevitable crunch came. Her hire car was well and truly battered and our van copped only minor damage. I remember well when they were exchanging details that she came from St. Agnes in Bristol. I pled innocence and said it had all happened so fast making it impossible to prevent the collision (bad boy). Inside the Darnall shop was a record rack and I once purchased for 59p the elpee 'With a little help from my friends' by Joe Cocker MFP 5275, not to be confused with another Cocker elpee with the same title Regal Zono, SLRZ 1006. The elpee was only the second one I had bought, the first being Donovan's greatest hits from Bradley's and now I have circa 30,000.

Oh! Nearly forgot. Hello to Bernice with the sexy yellow leather boots who worked in Mr McNeill's office in Walker Street. Remember Christmas eve and our visit to the boiler room? Of course you do!

anyone remember Brian who used to go around mending tv,s around hillsbro area and percy simpson who fixed teles this guy was brian whitely doesany one remember arthur wood bill cannon pete grayson all tv engineers,

Hi Dennis

My name is John Bishop an ex Hoover service engineer working from Walker St, the from Claywheels Lane with the TV men before being moved to Rotherham as ServiceScope. Your name doesn't ring any bells

John do you remember RITA,SUE,JOAN,IRENE IN thestores I beleive she pased away Roy BETTNEY, DAVE LITHERLAND,VIC WILSON, RON EASTWOOD, JOHN HOBSON,BRIAN DIXON,BARRY COULDWELL.

Yes BAZZA63 I remember all of them. Brian Maddy and Arthur Schofield have passed away and I had heard Irene had died. Roy Betney is now a Colnel. Who is BAZZA63

anyone remember Brian who used to go around mending tv,s around hillsbro area and percy simpson who fixed teles this guy was brian whitely doesany one remember arthur wood bill cannon pete grayson all tv engineers,

I remember all Arthur Wood. He was a motor mechanic at wigfalls and later went on to TV.Bill Cannon did a bit of singing italian tenor style married the daughter of Gillotts bakery lived in Wisewood. Did not know pete to well he was field service team leader with roy betney charlie beecroft denis morrel. Don woolhouse was field service manager.

Hi, I remember in the early 1960s a chap called Mr foyle who used to come around on Friday evenings collecting the weekly payments, he always had a fist full of cash (notes) enough to choke a donkey, and a pocket full of buscuits that he used to give your dog so that he could get into your kitchen, oh and a dirty old flashers mac, but a very nice chap, you could go out and leave the money on top of the fridge, he would sign the book and lock the door on the way out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiginc

When I worked at Wigfalls Mobray St workshop we had a gentleman called Stan. Stan was the original laid back guy.

Stan worked in the radio repair shop but was moved upstairs to the TV department.

My boss wrote a little ditty about this and I can still remember it 50 years later.

At last he’s gone and oh what glee

They need our Stan to mend TV’s.

But will he work not on your Nelly

You’ll find our Stan sat watching telly.

Sad or what.

Was your boss named John Freeman and Stan Butler Lived at Stannington

my father worked for wigfalls most of his working life he managed spital hill branch i can remember going with him at christmas time in the seventies to assemble push bikes they came with pedals not fitted wheels etc i put them together got paid a small amount. after spital hill he managed the two shops at darnall one was electrical the other furniture i often went there puting bikes together and delivering leaflets for him he once had a circus bring an elephant there bit of extra advertising lol.after darnall he managed london road remember one of the staff there was called raymond he spent all his spare time in the bookies think he had a few problems ! remember my father once had to tell him he had bad b/o (think it was his feet) pmsl after london road closed he became an outside sales man for dixons he left through ill health anyone remember him his name was david hill

my father worked for wigfalls most of his working life he managed spital hill branch i can remember going with him at christmas time in the seventies to assemble push bikes they came with pedals not fitted wheels etc i put them together got paid a small amount. after spital hill he managed the two shops at darnall one was electrical the other furniture i often went there puting bikes together and delivering leaflets for him he once had a circus bring an elephant there bit of extra advertising lol.after darnall he managed london road remember one of the staff there was called raymond he spent all his spare time in the bookies think he had a few problems ! remember my father once had to tell him he had bad b/o (think it was his feet) pmsl after london road closed he became an outside sales man for dixons he left through ill health anyone remember him his name was david hill

Hi Kim hill rember david hill from Spital hill shop But did not come into contact much with him I was involved more with a chap called Dick Brieley TV sales. may be before your dad time as I left wigfalls in 1976