Memories of Wigfalls

The two brothers were named Hearnshaw, who were directors of the company, the Jag belonged to a guy that married the Wigfall daughter, and then became a company director. His name was Morell.

yes they did two brothers i remember flash suits and e type jag cars no wonder the firm went bust. worked at rutland road head office print dept 1970 to 1973

Zakes

I'm Dennis Cerrone whats your real name

D

You always got the delivery jobs out in Derbyshire didn't you ? ;)

I worked at Wigfalls on Middlewood Rd from 1955. The manager was Mr John Bland. His daughter still lives in Oughtibridge. I worked with Miss Brookes, Mr John Pike, Barry Hobson and Brian Waite. We sold radios, tv's, record players, washing machines and bikes.

If you want any more information regarding Wigfalls or shops on Hillsborough please let me know.

Thanks

yes they did two brothers i remember flash suits and e type jag cars no wonder the firm went bust. worked at rutland road head office print dept 1970 to 1973

Re: Morrell's family

Mr Frank Morrell was the managing director of Wigfalls. He had two sons, Robert and Richard. Frank Morrell used to drive an Aston Martin DB5 and they lived at Sandygate and he died, I think in the late 60's and then the two brothers took charge.

I worked at Wigfalls on Effingham Street, Rotherham, from leaving school in 1962 to 1963. I worked in the offices and answered the switchboard taking requests for TV repairs and aerial "swings".

The store manager was Mr Mutton and the deputy manager was Mr Pepper. I shared an office with Violet McMahon. My salary was £3 2s 6d a week! I remember it well as I had to give my mother £2 board and use the rest for bus fares and spending money. I left because I was offered a job with the grand wage of £6 per week - too much to refuse even though I loved working for Wiggys!

One of the highlights of my year there was the trip to Southport. Every member of staff went on the old coaches and I still have photos of two of the sales assistants, Jean Hopkinson and a young blonde girl whose name I cannot recall. Happy days!

Just remembered the store manager was actually called Mr Mitton!

One other memory I have is of having to go across the road and down the street to the "canteen" and then walk back with a tea tray full of cups of tea! On cold days I had to walk very fast or else the tea was too cold to drink.

I started working in the shoe shop Fitzwilliam rd in 1961 -63 worked with Mrs Scofield, Mrs Hatherton and Bessie. Mr Mitten was the manager and Mr pepper was manager of Electirical, I met my husband of 43 years there Mick Webster who worked in the electrical section. Mick and I also went on that coach trip to Southport had a great day with a fun crowd including the managers, still have photo's. would love to find Mick Shakespeare who worked in the furniture section. Carol I too used to make and carry the teas. Mick and I migrated to Australai in 1965. Still in contact with Carol Edwards nee Powell who also worked in the shoe shop.

Hi Glenda, I remember you well and Mick. You left and went to work at Topps Supermarket and I used to see you there occasionally. I also remember Mick Shakespeare, tall dark haired lad. Like you I went abroad and lived in various parts of Africa for years upto about 15 years ago when my marriage broke up. I met my present partner Michael and we bought the Swiss House Hotel in Castleton and opened up Nero's Italian Restaurant. After selling this we bought a place in Spain where we live half the year. Whereabouts in Australia are you living?

I worked at a couple of furniture shops, not sure if one was Wigfalls, I think it was where M&S is now, it was around the 60s, all HP payments had to be hand written in big ledgers,we had to climb up ladders to post in these enormous books, all paymants were cash back then so the was a lot of stealing going on,

I worked in the postal dept for a while, stuffing envelopes, and on the PA system calling the salesmen to other floors.

I often wondered what happend to my friend Sheila , she married Jeff a salesman who worked at the branch on the moor, I was one of their bridesmaids.

Woodhouses, thats where I worked, not Wigfalls. :)

I too used to have to make teas as I was the junior, Carol do you remember the ladies I used to work with, I loved working with them all.

do you remember the little fellow that used to hang aroundall the time, everyone called him Johnny Wobbler? one night leaving work he chased Mick Shakespear, Mick and myself he thought we were laughing at him but it was a joke Mick S had told us, he chased us all the way into town and Mick S being so tall he ended up on his knees in the bus queue, the sight was better than the joke lol.

Regarding Roy, could be Roy Crampton, he lived at the top of Rutland Rd., until he married then moved out to Chapeltown. He and John Moore operated Moore and Crampton in Ecclesfield. I believe Roy retired to live in Spain, and the last I heard John was still running the business.

A guy named Morell, can't remember his first name, married one of Wigfalls daughters, and became a company director. He drove a Jag XK 120 for his sins.

I've only just read your reply to me mentioning Roy Crampton; better late than never though. Of course you're right about him living in Spain, I don't know why I said Australia. He married a girl I knew called Angela. Do you remember a couple of girls who worked at the office on Rutland Road, one was called Shirley and the other Carol?

Oddly enough I seem to remember the guy who drove the Jag, was he ex R.A.F.