Memories of Wigfalls

Hi Andy

Didn't you go in partnership with another engineer? I can't think of his name at the moment but I remember you I think

Yes John, We were Bingley & Trigg. I was the young cocky lad at the bench next to Dave Bird. I left in 1978 not long before it all went tits up at Wiggies.

I thought I knew you. Left in 88 when they offered a good redundunency as it was coming to an end especially after we were telling customers to buy their machine. I worked for myself after that til 95 and now I am enjoying every day being Sunday. Now the machines are getting too tempremental causing no end of problems not like the ones we grew up on, so I thought leave it to the young ones. Are you still at it Andy I knew you stopped working with Bingley.

I worked at Wigfalls (under the wicker arches) back in 1969/1971. I was in the offices working as a data processor. I started working there for a couple of evenings a week while also working full time for Tommy Wards. Then I left Wards and worked full time for Wigfalls for a short while.

I remember Miss (Cynthia) Guest but I can't remember the overall managers name. He was a lovely man who, if I remember rightly, had a disabled son who died.

I worked with a lot of other lovely ladies, most of who's names escape me now. I remember the switch over from ICL punch card machines to IBM machines. I had been trained on IBM so it was easy for me. lol. Mind you, I had had to learn how to use the ICL machines as well. Our supervisor was called Mary but I can't remember her surname right now.

The canteen was good and the meals enjoyable. I remember the tea lady coming round with thick slabs of bread and beef dripping for 1p. You had to be quick there because it soon all went, and it only happened about once a week. Those were the days when we had a tea lady with a trolley, and proper breaks with which to enjoy your cuppa and kit-kat etc.

I enjoyed my time working for Wigfalls but I think things were definately a lot different back then to what they are now. You did as you were told or you were out. lol.

The money wasn't great but there was allways overtime available and it was paid at a proper rate.

I worked at Wigfalls (under the wicker arches) back in 1969/1971. I was in the offices working as a data processor. I started working there for a couple of evenings a week while also working full time for Tommy Wards. Then I left Wards and worked full time for Wigfalls for a short while.

I remember Miss (Cynthia) Guest but I can't remember the overall managers name. He was a lovely man who, if I remember rightly, had a disabled son who died.

I worked with a lot of other lovely ladies, most of who's names escape me now. I remember the switch over from ICL punch card machines to IBM machines. I had been trained on IBM so it was easy for me. lol. Mind you, I had had to learn how to use the ICL machines as well. Our supervisor was called Mary but I can't remember her surname right now.

The canteen was good and the meals enjoyable. I remember the tea lady coming round with thick slabs of bread and beef dripping for 1p. You had to be quick there because it soon all went, and it only happened about once a week. Those were the days when we had a tea lady with a trolley, and proper breaks with which to enjoy your cuppa and kit-kat etc.

I enjoyed my time working for Wigfalls but I think things were definately a lot different back then to what they are now. You did as you were told or you were out. lol.

The money wasn't great but there was allways overtime available and it was paid at a proper rate.

I thought I knew you. Left in 88 when they offered a good redundunency as it was coming to an end especially after we were telling customers to buy their machine. I worked for myself after that til 95 and now I am enjoying every day being Sunday. Now the machines are getting too tempremental causing no end of problems not like the ones we grew up on, so I thought leave it to the young ones. Are you still at it Andy I knew you stopped working with Bingley.

John Bingly died about 4 years ago, was only about 58. I don't do repairs any more John. I run web sites about white goods and washing machines instead

http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/ | http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/wordpress/

Andy

1956 Wigfalls Spital Hill, a Raleigh Lenton Cycle about £16 ish, my father got it for me on the hire purchase system so much a week.
I remember the Lenton, big green brute of a bike, with a dynamo in the hub. Beautifully made but heavy. I rode a Carlton then, also made in Nottingham, but much lighter.:)

Hi I worked at Wigalls from 1951 to 1968. I was an apprentice for 5 years in Rutland Road and Mowbray Street. Then I was out on the road repairing tele's. I remember loads of people there and remember what a great place it was to work.

My mum was a regular Wiggies customer, I don't think she would have survived without their stuff on tick, my dad being a child of pre WW1 when it was considered very bad to have stuff on credit hated it but mum used to always keep him in the dark about it :hihi:

What I remember most abt TVs and even electric space heaters back then was the practice of paying as you go by inserting coins into the appliances. You'd be in the middle of a TV program and the set would go off. Everyone would rummage around to try and find a shilling. Same thing with the fire. If you were short of change, you might have to choose between watching the telly and staying warm. Is the coin operated system still used or when did it disappear?

There's a company called buy as you view that do a pretty similar thing nowadays. We got a microwave and a fridge freezer from them as well.

I remember being told to hide behind the settee when the "Wiggys" man came when we had no money... sad!

Didn't the Morrell (sp) family own/have something to do with Wigfalls?

yes they did two brothers i remember flash suits and e type jag cars no wonder the firm went bust. worked at rutland road head office print dept 1970 to 1973